Other OT-Related Information OT in a school-based setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColorGuardLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else interested in becoming a school-based OT, or is there anyone on here who currently is one or has worked as one before? I haven't had a chance to shadow an OT in a school yet, but I am hoping that I will be able to at some point in the not-so-distant future. If anyone can provide me with information on OT in this setting, whether it's the job itself, how to get observation hours scheduled at a school, or OT schools that have at least a couple classes involving school settings, it would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else interested in becoming a school-based OT, or is there anyone on here who currently is one or has worked as one before? I haven't had a chance to shadow an OT in a school yet, but I am hoping that I will be able to at some point in the not-so-distant future. If anyone can provide me with information on OT in this setting, whether it's the job itself, how to get observation hours scheduled at a school, or OT schools that have at least a couple classes involving school settings, it would be most appreciated! Thanks!!
I observed in the school setting...however, I really lucked out. I was attending school in Idaho and the part of Idaho I was in really only had one OT so he owned a clinic as well as contracted with the schools so I was able to observe him in both settings. Here in AZ a lot of school districts hire an OT so maybe reach out to the district office for a point of contact. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if it's the same for all, but my program's Pediatrics coursework covers all settings and age ranges, so there isn't one class that's "just" about school-based OT. In terms of shadowing an OT prior to admission, it may depend on whether or not you have an "in" with someone in the district because my sense is that they may or may not allow non-students to come observe, though this may be different in a smaller area (I live in the burbs of a major metro area). As for fieldwork once you're in a program, that is more likely. I will be doing my last Level II rotation at one of the school systems in my area, and several of my classmates have done/are doing a school-based rotation.

From what I know, the school-based setting can come with certain frustrations, mostly in the form of lots of red tape and push-back from the administration (much like being a teacher). The other thing is, when you are an OT in a school-based setting, you have to focus only on what the child needs for school performance - so if you see issues with other things (ADLs unrelated to school, etc), you can't do anything about it (usually).

I got most of my observation hours observing an OT at a school. I lucked out because they were hiring aides to work with the OT. I applied, and got the job. If you call the school district, I am sure they can find you an OT who will let you observe.

Reactions: 1 user