Other OT-Related Information OT jobs that are non-clinical/easy on the body?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I partially regret choosing OT because no matter how hard I try, I have some trouble with heavy lifting... (I'm 5'3" and 95 lb) Are there any jobs in occupational therapy that are easy on the body/non-clinical? The only field I can think of is maybe pediatrics. Are there any administrative jobs for OT's?

Members don't see this ad.

@Chris1004 , have no regrets! I am your exact same height and weight, and I know that there is a HUGE variety of OT positions that don't involve heavy lifting.

I write a blog about OT, which you can check out here, and in my experience I have come across many, MANY different jobs in OT that don't require much physical exertion. Teaching is definitely NOT the only option, and the reality is that while there are certainly administrative positions available for OTs in professional organizations or other workplaces, you probably wouldn't have a good chance of doing administrative or teaching jobs as an OT until you had 5+ years of experience.

As a general rule, physical rehab is probably the setting in which OTs are required to do the most heavy lifting. However, there are many technologies available that virtually eliminate the need to physical mobilize clients, such as standers (for people who are paralyzed or with poor lower body strength/mobility), chair lifts, Hoyer lifts, etc. Hospitals or rehab settings that are top-of-the-line will train you in the use of this equipment to reduce stress and strain on your body -- and if they DON'T do this, as a future OT you can make recommendations that your workplace invest in this equipment for the sake of the employees AND the clients.

With that said, here is a sampling of places/positions for OTs that don't require heavy lifting:
  • Schools - Most school based OTs are working with children on social skills, sensory regulation, fine and gross motor skills, handwriting, and school-based tasks. This is a job that typically doesn't require a lot of physical exertion.
  • Home Modification - Many OTs use their understanding of universal design, ergonomics, and environmental analysis to assess homes of clients with disabilities, advanced age, or a new disability requiring readjustment of their living situation.
  • Community-based Practice - OTs who work in settings where they are helping clients reintegrate into the community and re-learn how to navigate a bus route, go grocery shopping, or participate in leisure activities after an injury (for example) are not typically doing heavy lifting.
  • Assistive Technology Fitting/Consulting - Some OTs work in state or other assistive technology (AT) offices, where they help clients find technological solutions to meet their changing needs. For example, an OT working with a state AT office might conduct a home visit with a client to assess his environment and learn more about the kinds of feeding and eating devices that might be a good fit for him.
  • Hand Therapy - Hand therapists are mainly focused on clients' hands (duh) and upper extremities during treatment. This doesn't mean that they ignore the rest of the body, but they typically aren't doing any major lifting or anything like that. The only drawback with this is that hand therapists must complete a LOT of additional training to become certified.
  • Early Intervention - Early intervention OTs work with very young children, typically age birth to three or four (it varies by state). Although you may be picking babies/toddlers up, they're fairly light at this age.
  • Mental Health - Although the role of OT in mental health is being re-established within the profession, it is a very important area of involvement for OTs. Typically OTs in mental health do a lot of instruction, education, and work with clients on ADL management, social interaction, and healthy engagement in occupation.
  • Driver rehabilitation - OTs who specialize in driver rehab do not typically do a lot of lifting. Again, this specialty requires additional training.
And that's just a sampling of the many positions OTs can have that don't require "heavy lifting" (at least not of the physical kind). As you go through OT school, you'll learn a lot about these practice areas and others, and remember to keep an open mind about what you can do as an OT!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is also work hardening, which usually does not require lifting. It's a personal preference, though. Perhaps you may do some observing in a work hardening setting (or other environment that may be less physically taxing) before applying for that type of job (or fieldwork placement).

@gottabeOT , thanks for your thorough reply! If you don't mind, would you be able to go into more detail about home modification & assistive technology consulting? What exactly is the difference between the two? By assisitive technology consulting, do you mean ergonomics consulting? I heard you need years of experience and a certificate/license as a consultant for that. Are these jobs clinical or non-clinical? (As in, do they treat the patients through 1 on 1 therapy sessions or merely evaluate them?)

Last edited:
I am nearly the same height and weight as you and was extremely worried about transfers lately. I will be entering level 2's soon and knew I had to do something about it, so I started lifting with help from a couple of apps on the iPad. I work on legs, core, and arms and I can now lift people I couldn't lift before. Don't let a petite frame stop you from doing what you want! It's possible to be both strong and petite. :)

Reactions: 1 users