OT or PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Readybetty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide! i think i want to go into OT but I am just not sure. So I am asking all of you what made you choose one over the other. i think the main reason I am leaning towards ot is i want to help kids with conditions like CP because i have a cousin who has CP. So please give me some pros and cons on both.

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into shadowing both an OT and PT. Also, I would broaden your thoughts of PT and OT because as you progress through school you may want nothing to do with CP kids and this could potentially change your view on OT and/or PT as a career.

Personally, I did not even know what OT was when I attended PT school. I chose PT because I was interested in healthcare, weight training, problem solving, helping people, having the ability to change practice settings, demand for the job, having a good lifestyle (read: not on call, not working odd hours, etc.) and I initially wanted to work with athletes.

Now that I know what OT is I still would have chosen PT because I can treat any joint in the body without restriction where as OT is primarily(but not always) focused on the upper extremities.

If you want to treat people with cerebral palsy than become a physical threapist (PT). That is the simplest response without discussing the differences in fields relative to your other preferences. PT is clearly more closely associated with the study of and treatments for people with cerebral palsy. E.g., perform a search whether general or scholarly and you will find a huge discrepency in relevant hits. In comparison of the two the majority of research is coming from physical therapists.

If you want to treat people with cerebral palsy than become a physical threapist (PT). That is the simplest response without discussing the differences in fields relative to your other preferences. PT is clearly more closely associated with the study of and treatments for people with cerebral palsy. E.g., perform a search whether general or scholarly and you will find a huge discrepency in relevant hits. In comparison of the two the majority of research is coming from physical therapists.

Huh?