General Admissions & OTCAS OT prereq dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thefutureisot

Reaction score
Hello guys! so with coronavirus going on I've been thinking about how I could better my grades as taking classes online is way beneficial for me than in class. My university just came out and said that the summer semester will be online. I have a C in anatomy & physiology 1 & 2. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take at least one of the anatomy over again? Say I get an A or B in anatomy 1 but i'll still have a C in anatomy 2. Would that potentially help my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys! so with coronavirus going on I've been thinking about how I could better my grades as taking classes online is way beneficial for me than in class. My university just came out and said that the summer semester will be online. I have a C in anatomy & physiology 1 & 2. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take at least one of the anatomy over again? Say I get an A or B in anatomy 1 but i'll still have a C in anatomy 2. Would that potentially help my chances?

I think you should definitely redo Anatomy and Physiology. I think most schools put lot of emphasis on that.

would it alteast look good if I redid one but still had a C in another rather than having a C in both

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I applied to grad school this year and will be starting in the fall. I went to a few open houses and they all said they prefer students to have a minimum grade of a B in A&P. Some grad programs, especially doctorate ones, require at least a B in it. Don’t get discouraged, you got this!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I definitely recommend retaking at least one of your anatomy courses! It isn’t required to get a B, but it definitely helps! Just think about it this way- if someone looks the exact same on paper as you (you both have C’s in A&P, same volunteer and leadership experience, same GPA, same GRE), and you both have a shot at getting offered a seat into the program, BUT you retook your Anatomy and brought one of the C’s up to a B, you’re going to get the offer over them!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I applied to grad school this year and will be starting in the fall. I went to a few open houses and they all said they prefer students to have a minimum grade of a B in A&P. Some grad programs, especially doctorate ones, require at lest a B in it. Don’t get discrouaged, you got this!!

I agree with kmv12. I think it is best (if time permits) to retake both and get at least B. Then again, it depends on your other stats too. Most schools I applied to use the holistic method so don't get discouraged you'll do fine. :)

i h
I agree with kmv12. I think it is best (if time permits) to retake both and get at least B. Then again, it depends on your other stats too. Most schools I applied to use the holistic method so don't get discouraged you'll do fine. :)
yes i have a's in all my other prereqs besides a&p 1 and 2

I definitely recommend retaking at least one of your anatomy courses! It isn’t required to get a B, but it definitely helps! Just think about it this way- if someone looks the exact same on paper as you (you both have C’s in A&P, same volunteer and leadership experience, same GPA, same GRE), and you both have a shot at getting offered a seat into the program, BUT you retook your Anatomy and brought one of the C’s up to a B, you’re going to get the offer over them!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

thank you for your advice

Hello!
I was in a sort of similar position. I took anatomy as a 6 week intensive course, and I could barely keep up and got a C. I received a B in physiology. And then On another note, I had another pre req in which I had a C.

If you are able to, I would recommend taking both classes again for at least B. Many schools are requiring pre-req with at least a B. If not, just retake the one class you believe you have a higher chance of getting a B in. Keep in mind that there will be some schools you can’t apply to since they want all pre-req minimums to be a B, but there are plenty of programs that will take a C!

I’m currently retaking the pre-req where I got a C and actually planed on retaking anatomy this summer.

Schools really want you to do well in A&P since those are the main science courses, and a solid foundation of A&P is essential healthcare knowledge for an OT. They are also very intense classes and if you receive a good grade, the school will view you as a more favorable candidate who is capable to rigorous graduate level coursework.

But I lucked out and was accepted to OT school this round. I didn’t think it was going to happen given my grades and gaps in my transcripts.

Hello!
I was in a sort of similar position. I took anatomy as a 6 week intensive course, and I could barely keep up and got a C. I received a B in physiology. And then On another note, I had another pre req in which I had a C.

If you are able to, I would recommend taking both classes again for at least B. Many schools are requiring pre-req with at least a B. If not, just retake the one class you believe you have a higher chance of getting a B in. Keep in mind that there will be some schools you can’t apply to since they want all pre-req minimums to be a B, but there are plenty of programs that will take a C!

I’m currently retaking the pre-req where I got a C and actually planed on retaking anatomy this summer.

Schools really want you to do well in A&P since those are the main science courses, and a solid foundation of A&P is essential healthcare knowledge for an OT. They are also very intense classes and if you receive a good grade, the school will view you as a more favorable candidate who is capable to rigorous graduate level coursework.

But I lucked out and was accepted to OT school this round. I didn’t think it was going to happen given my grades and gaps in my transcripts.
Thank you for your response! If someone was to have an A in physiology and a B in anatomy but they had a C in developmental psych or even statistics do you think admissions would still be harsh on them even though they got an a and B in the anatomy courses