Employment & Professional Networking OT Saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1057601

Hey everyone, I am applying for this 2020-2021 cycle. I was wondering if the field was becoming crowded. My end goal is go into the military, but I want to be a traveling OT for a couple of years first. I want to make sure that I'll have some security.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Traveling OT will actually permit you to have the most flexibility if you are not picky with your geography and setting. There are some rural places that pay quite heavily to attract therapists. On the other hand, larger cities will also have more opportunities just based on size and needs. Saturation is a concern for some people in some specific vicinity but not for travelers. I will caution that traveling may not necessarily provide mentorship to new graduates since travelers come in and out. Most caution against traveling as a first job. It is possible but it is hard.

I actually took a "travel" assignment which was near my house for 10 weeks for my first job. It made me uncomfortable with how things were operating. You worked hard to get to this place so study hard and protect the license you will be getting.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you want to be a PT in the military or go into the reserves and be a civilian PT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the market is semi-saturated at this time due to COVID and medicare/medicaid reivisons. Many OT's have lost thier jobs or are having hours cut to reduce personnel in the building at a time. With that being said, there's always going to be people move into and out of OT, just like any other field. And just like any other field, it will have it's peak hiring years and it's low hiring years. I think the market for most jobs is down right now form what i've found, so I wouldn't be too stressed. But as the previous person responded, travel OT is the easiest to get into as many don't want to commit to travelling and would rather settle down after graduation! (2nd year OT student)