Program-Specific Info / Q's OT school finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_pedi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got accepted at Alabama State University fall 2017 class. Anyone else got accepted? Also, I was wondering if any current OT students could tell me how the finances work for OT school. Do we take out loans to live off of or is it possible to work a side job like babysitting, etc for side money? I need all the advice I can get. I am so happy for this next transition.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to attend Alabama State University fall 2017 class ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using savings and plan to work a flexible, part-time job serving/ bartending. However, I am not working the first semester so I plan to save what I can/ sell off what I don't need to help with that first semester. I can't rationalize taking loans out to cover expenses at this point in time. Perhaps I will change my tune in a year or so.

I am using savings and plan to work a flexible, part-time job serving/ bartending. However, I am not working the first semester so I plan to save what I can/ sell off what I don't need to help with that first semester. I can't rationalize taking loans out to cover expenses at this point in time. Perhaps I will change my tune in a year or so.
I am worried about getting a part time job even after the first semester because we won't know what our schedule will be like especially on Friday. Maybe I could do babysitting?

I am worried about getting a part time job even after the first semester because we won't know what our schedule will be like especially on Friday. Maybe I could do babysitting?
If you can find a gig that pays enough I would say go for it! I've always worked in restaurants and I plant to work evening shifts and I know I can make a couple hundred dollars in a week, something I have never been able to do with babysitting. You could always walk dogs? I hear there's good money in that! I have a friend that makes ~$700.00 in a weekend walking dogs all over creation. I also plan to try that out but that is very dependent on the needs/ price point of the area my school is in.

@OldHopeful Someone told me you have to have some type of pet insurance to do dog walking and have to be well established. How did your friend get established with their dog walking business? Care.com?

She uses an app called Rover! They also have an online interface you can use. I think you have to pay for a background check (which is understandable). I have another friend that pet-sets (something I am not considering) and she also makes great money doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
Have u saved a large amount or is your program affordable?
Bumping because I made a thread about this as well.

Have u saved a large amount or is your program affordable?
Bumping because I made a thread about this as well.
A little bit of both. I am almost 29 so I have had some time to save up money since I graduated college. It's going to be really, really tight but that's part of the reason I chose the school I did, because cost of living is low, especially compared to where I live. The program is affordable even with paying out of state tuition so I can rationalize taking some loans out for books and whatnot but I still have loans from my undergrad so I really don't want to take out anymore than I have to.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I recently got accepted at Alabama State University fall 2017 class. Anyone else got accepted? Also, I was wondering if any current OT students could tell me how the finances work for OT school. Do we take out loans to live off of or is it possible to work a side job like babysitting, etc for side money? I need all the advice I can get. I am so happy for this next transition.
Congrats on getting accepted! I was accepted as well! See you in the Fall. Good luck with the transition!