General Admissions & OTCAS OT schools that are "easier" to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

So I applied to 4 local schools this past year. I was rejected from 3 and wait listed at 1. I am still holding out hope I'll get in off the wait list but I am prepared to improve my stats and apply to more schools in the upcoming application cycle. This time around I am not worried about staying local, I am willing to go anywhere.

I've done a lot of research on schools across the country and it is definitely overwhelming.

Does anyone know of any schools that don't get as many applicants every year? Schools with lower requirements? I am just trying to realistic and improve my chances of getting in. Why apply to schools that get 600+ applicants every year for 20 spots when I can apply to schools that get much fewer applicants?

By the way my overall GPA is a 3.25 and my GPA for my last 60 credits is a 3.55.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

OT gets competitive every year. I would go by the school rankings. I've spoken with an admission counselors and she told me that not all 4.0 students make a GREAT occupational therapy she also told me the committee looks a the whole application however it depends on the school. There are some programs out there don't require an interview so they go by the grade point average. If you don't mind me asking. What schools did you apply to?

I'm applying to
Tennessee State University----I really want to get into this school……I love Nashville
Creighton University……I was put on the waiting list
Abilene Christian University
I considered University of Oklahoma…..
Belmont University
Cox College
Missouri State University
University of South Alabama
University of Kansas
maybe some more schools……

OT gets competitive every year. I would go by the school rankings. I've spoken with an admission counselors and she told me that not all 4.0 students make a GREAT occupational therapy she also told me the committee looks a the whole application however it depends on the school. There are some programs out there don't require an interview so they go by the grade point average. If you don't mind me asking. What schools did you apply to?

I'm applying to
Tennessee State University----I really want to get into this school……I love Nashville
Creighton University……I was put on the waiting list
Abilene Christian University
I considered University of Oklahoma…..
Belmont University
Cox College
Missouri State University
University of South Alabama
University of Kansas
maybe some more schools……

I applied to Temple U, Philadelphia U (wait-listed), Thomas Jefferson and University of the Sciences. A few of your schools I have come across in my research and am considering. Side note--- I am considering applying to Abilene Christian U and Adventist but I am unsure because I am not very religious so I was wondering how that would go over haha. I mean, will it really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Temple U, Philadelphia U (wait-listed), Thomas Jefferson and University of the Sciences. A few of your schools I have come across in my research and am considering. Side note--- I am considering applying to Abilene Christian U and Adventist but I am unsure because I am not very religious so I was wondering how that would go over haha. I mean, will it really matter?
Well I applied to Abilene Christian University and got denied but I know why I got denied. The assistant director over the program is really nice. My best advice is get everything in early. I will be applying before the November 15 deadline…...

Reactions: 1 user
My gpa's are almost exactly what yours are. I applied to 9 schools, got rejected at 7 and wait listed at 2. Frustrating, my gre scores were in the 90th percentile and I had 150 hours observation.
Next time around I am only going to apply to schools that interview, as they tend to look at more than gpa's. Also, make sure the schools you apply to don't have a percentage of their seats reserved for a BA to masters program, Idaho state does this, so there are only 7 seats available, and they favor in state candidates, another factor to look into. Louisiana state and Chapel Hill also favor in state students.
Schools that don't accept OTCAS get way less applications too. It does take a lot of research and writing to dozens and dozens of schools to find all these things out on top of what each school has for pre-requisites, what tuition is, what LORs each school needs, etc etc.

I'm a christian so it doesn't bother me……I can tell you that they are really nice and willing to help you.
My gpa's are almost exactly what yours are. I applied to 9 schools, got rejected at 7 and wait listed at 2. Frustrating, my gre scores were in the 90th percentile and I had 150 hours observation.
Next time around I am only going to apply to schools that interview, as they tend to look at more than gpa's. Also, make sure the schools you apply to don't have a percentage of their seats reserved for a BA to masters program, Idaho state does this, so there are only 7 seats available, and they favor in state candidates, another factor to look into. Louisiana state and Chapel Hill also favor in state students.
Schools that don't accept OTCAS get way less applications too. It does take a lot of research and writing to dozens and dozens of schools to find all these things out on top of what each school has for pre-requisites, what tuition is, what LORs each school needs, etc etc.
It does take a lot of research…..What schools are you going to apply to this summer?? OTCAS opens up this summer

I think schools that are more expensive, especially for out of state students, get fewer applicants.

One thing to consider might be looking at the ratio of total population of the state divided by the number of schools in the state. And also which states have the highest paying cities for OTs. I looked at one of those lists lately and there are a lot of Texas cities on the list. Unfortunately, Austin, TX, which would be one of my favorite cities to live in, seems to have less of a shortage of OTs than the rest of the country. Texas has a lot of OT schools, and so does Pennsylvania, but both states are fairly populous.

One strategy is to target schools that are developing/applicant programs and have not been accredited yet. I called the accrediting agency about whether it was possible for a school to go all the way through the accreditation proccess and not make it at the last stage. They said it was very unlikely. The schools get a lot of support along the way and go through multiple reviews. If they don't get accredited, it would probably be because they were requested to change/improve something along the way and they ignored the request.

I put in my OTCAS application relatively late because I was interested in in-state schools that had late deadlines/decision dates that didn't go through OTCAS. I wanted to avoid having to accept an out of state school months before I would be looked at by the in-state schools.

I put in applications at most of the developing schools that had late application deadlines, and got interview requests from several. Plus one rejection without an interview, and one acceptance without an interview.

I also think that OT doctoral programs get fewer applicants per seat.

OT rankings are a combination of well-known and well-regarded by faculty (aka researchers) at other schools. I wouldn't assume that a smaller, newer program wasn't a good program or was a lot easier to get into.

To find schools with fewer applicants, look for schools that have quirky requirements that not all OT schools require. Physics, chemistry, neuroscience, biomechanics, kinesiology, medical ethics, technical writing, cultural anthropology, research methods in psychology, medical terminology, public speaking, or even philosophy of reasoning.

Any school that says it has a minimum 2.8 GPA and only requires A&P I & II and 1 semester of developmental Psych is going to have a TON more applicants. Just to lighten the load on the people processing applications, they will probably set a practicing limit of 3.2 or 3.5 GPA for their school to look at the rest of the application.

Schools that require the GRE or that require all the pre-requisites (not just A&P) to be taken in the last 5 years will also have fewer applicants.

Side note--- I am considering applying to Abilene Christian U and Adventist but I am unsure because I am not very religious so I was wondering how that would go over haha. I mean, will it really matter?

I was worried about the same thing when applying to a different school. I just asked how religious the school was during my interview. If they don't have an interview, maybe you could just call the department and ask.

To find schools with fewer applicants, look for schools that have quirky requirements that not all OT schools require. Physics, chemistry, neuroscience, biomechanics, kinesiology, medical ethics, technical writing, cultural anthropology, research methods in psychology, medical terminology, public speaking, or even philosophy of reasoning.

I think this statement is probably true.

sb0106, if you wanted to stay local, may I ask why you didn't apply to Salus University? They are right outside Philly and probably have significantly less applicants because they are a newer program that just got accredited. In general, I'd say looking into newer programs as opposed to the more established/prestigious would probably give you a better chance at acceptance.

i second @CurlyHairedGirl on the schools with quirky pre-reqs. i know that i personally did not apply to any schools that had a weird pre-req like "Ethics" or neuroscience.

apparently there are a couple new OTD programs in indiana. (i kept getting those OTCAS notifications they had extended their application deadline). huntington university and indiana wesleyan university. my guess is if they kept extending their deadline they didn't get enough quality applicants. funny, i am from indiana and didn't apply to either of those programs but i don't think i had the pre-reqs required for admissions. that may be something to look into if you are willing to move for a few years. although it's indiana (i know for people from east coast that's like what? what the heck is there? do you even have internet? :)), we have fantastic hospitals and health systems here so lots of opportunity for fieldwork, etc. and chicago is very close. also the cost of living is phenomenally low compared to what you're used to in philly!

Hi!!

So I applied to 4 local schools this past year. I was rejected from 3 and wait listed at 1. I am still holding out hope I'll get in off the wait list but I am prepared to improve my stats and apply to more schools in the upcoming application cycle. This time around I am not worried about staying local, I am willing to go anywhere.

I've done a lot of research on schools across the country and it is definitely overwhelming.

Does anyone know of any schools that don't get as many applicants every year? Schools with lower requirements? I am just trying to realistic and improve my chances of getting in. Why apply to schools that get 600+ applicants every year for 20 spots when I can apply to schools that get much fewer applicants?

By the way my overall GPA is a 3.25 and my GPA for my last 60 credits is a 3.55.

ANY help would be appreciated.

If you go onto OTCAS and go to the school directory, many schools list how many applicants they receive, accept, and matriculate. You can try to find schools who get fewer applicants that way.

sb0106, if you wanted to stay local, may I ask why you didn't apply to Salus University? They are right outside Philly and probably have significantly less applicants because they are a newer program that just got accredited. In general, I'd say looking into newer programs as opposed to the more established/prestigious would probably give you a better chance at acceptance.

I did not apply to Salus because it was not accredited. I know that they are on their way, but that's why I did not apply.

I'm a christian so it doesn't bother me……I can tell you that they are really nice and willing to help you.

It does take a lot of research…..What schools are you going to apply to this summer?? OTCAS opens up this summer

I'm not exactly sure which schools I will be applying to this summer! Part of my problem was that I applied very late. I had issues with the people writing my reference letters....taking too long....saying they would do it and not doing it....having to get new references last minute. Ugh it was awful. I hate that I have to go through that process all over again.

I am EXTREMELY overwhelmed with school choices! I am open to going anywhere really. I am trying to limit the amount of non-otcas schools I apply to just because it will be so much extra work (for the people writing my references). So I will have to narrow my choices down for that. Like you, I will be applying to 10ish schools, maybe a few more. I plan on re-applying to the Philly schools for sure. So as of right now I will be applying to Jefferson, Temple (I completed my undergrad there, they give their own students no preference!:(), Philly U, University of the Sciences. I will also apply to Stockton in NJ.

But I will also apply to schools further away, just haven't decided yet.

I did not apply to Salus because it was not accredited. I know that they are on their way, but that's why I did not apply.

I did not at first for that reason either, but then found out they would be accredited before I started school/had to make the decision...they are officially accredited now.

It is said that private schools have less applicants because of the higher costs. Honestly, I would be wary of going easy for the sake of easy. I have heard horror stories of schools that don't care to help with fieldworks, that don't prepare students well for boards, and that don't prepare students well for the field. It's one thing to tactfully apply within your limits, but it's another to throw away time and money on a degree, only to find yourself in the same position a few years (and great debt) later. OTA isn't that shabby a route either.

It is said that private schools have less applicants because of the higher costs. Honestly, I would be wary of going easy for the sake of easy. I have heard horror stories of schools that don't care to help with fieldworks, that don't prepare students well for boards, and that don't prepare students well for the field. It's one thing to tactfully apply within your limits, but it's another to throw away time and money on a degree, only to find yourself in the same position a few years (and great debt) later. OTA isn't that shabby a route either.

I am not trying to take the easy way out. Again, the schools in my area are inundated with 600+ applicants for only 20 spots. I'd like to find a school with better odds and fewer applicants.

I have been advised by many PT's and OT's to not waste my time going the OTA route. This is just their opinion. Obviously I am looking at NBCOT exam pass rates and will be looking into the programs fieldwork set-up in more detail before applying. I don't want to be like a lot of people on this forum applying year after year after year. I don't want to waste my time anymore. I just want to finish my education, get my career started, and be one step closer to having my own house/family/life.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we all go to college (and do well!) with the plans of becoming OT's and their aren't enough seats in the programs to accommodate more of us.

I am not trying to take the easy way out. Again, the schools in my area are inundated with 600+ applicants for only 20 spots. I'd like to find a school with better odds and fewer applicants.

I have been advised by many PT's and OT's to not waste my time going the OTA route. This is just their opinion. Obviously I am looking at NBCOT exam pass rates and will be looking into the programs fieldwork set-up in more detail before applying. I don't want to be like a lot of people on this forum applying year after year after year. I don't want to waste my time anymore. I just want to finish my education, get my career started, and be one step closer to having my own house/family/life.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we all go to college (and do well!) with the plans of becoming OT's and their aren't enough seats in the programs to accommodate more of us.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend. If you know what you want, go for it! I completely understand the urgency of wanting to do the most that you can now. I will say that opening up more seats means that one of the great advantages to our field...the proclaimed job security...will be in jeopardy before we finish our careers. Too many fields are opening seats and programs and flooding their fields with too many applicants. Another thing to do (if you haven't already) is to use the search feature and find some of the threads of advice for taking the GRE and strengthening your application. There are some real gems of advice out there. Put everything you have into this app cycle and really get in the ear of the department you want. More often than not, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, especially if you show them that you are the type of applicant that succeeds in their specific program. Good luck!

I see your point with the frustration that comes from a low amount of seats, but then again that is what keeps the field in high demand which is good to have once you get into school. Say schools were to accept A LOT more applicants than usual, than there is a potential that their could be an overflowing influx of OTs into the field which could make finding a job much more difficult in certain areas. With the way the system is set up now, once you finish you have a fair amount of freedom as to where you wanna work and shouldn't have to worry about job security because there aren't a ton of people out there who can do what you do, so even though this process is super-stressful because of the competitiveness that comes from low amounts of seats, it is great to know that once you're in you just gotta get through the schooling than you are golden. I have someone in my family who got an engineering degree (which in my eyes is one of the most difficult Bachelor's degrees to earn!) and actually struggled to find work after graduation because in the area and state he is in there has been a massive influx of individuals getting into the engineering field. Just something to think about to help us all see the glass half full lol. I hope it works out for you, and you get in so then you can breathe easier :)!

Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend. If you know what you want, go for it! I completely understand the urgency of wanting to do the most that you can now. I will say that opening up more seats means that one of the great advantages to our field...the proclaimed job security...will be in jeopardy before we finish our careers. Too many fields are opening seats and programs and flooding their fields with too many applicants. Another thing to do (if you haven't already) is to use the search feature and find some of the threads of advice for taking the GRE and strengthening your application. There are some real gems of advice out there. Put everything you have into this app cycle and really get in the ear of the department you want. More often than not, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, especially if you show them that you are the type of applicant that succeeds in their specific program. Good luck!

Thanks!

Just frustrated that I'm a good student/worker and in this position (along with so many others). Were you accepted anywhere?

I see your point with the frustration that comes from a low amount of seats, but then again that is what keeps the field in high demand which is good to have once you get into school. Say schools were to accept A LOT more applicants than usual, than there is a potential that their could be an overflowing influx of OTs into the field which could make finding a job much more difficult in certain areas. With the way the system is set up now, once you finish you have a fair amount of freedom as to where you wanna work and shouldn't have to worry about job security because there aren't a ton of people out there who can do what you do, so even though this process is super-stressful because of the competitiveness that comes from low amounts of seats, it is great to know that once you're in you just gotta get through the schooling than you are golden. I have someone in my family who got an engineering degree (which in my eyes is one of the most difficult Bachelor's degrees to earn!) and actually struggled to find work after graduation because in the area and state he is in there has been a massive influx of individuals getting into the engineering field. Just something to think about to help us all see the glass half full lol. I hope it works out for you, and you get in so then you can breathe easier :)!

Yeah, it makes sense in the grand scheme of things!

Thanks!

Just frustrated that I'm a good student/worker and in this position (along with so many others). Were you accepted anywhere?

Yes I was. Basically my whole life for a few months was application stuff and work. It was miserable, but I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Reactions: 1 users