OT Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basbana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the demographics of OT students. Is it female dominated? What is the fitness level? About how many students are accepted per class? Do schools accept a lot of out of state students?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I've heard OT is female dominated. It probably depends in what area you want to do -- I shadowed 5 random OTs and 4 ended up female (at clinics, and a nursing home), 1 ended up male (he worked in the ICU). Most of the other OTs I saw during my hours were female.

The fitness level? You mean how fit an OT needs to be? Well, you'll help people stand--and need to be able to support them... so you need to have strength. Most of the OTs I shadowed were physically fit - as in an athletic build, one was overweight, but strong. I don't see why weight really matters as long as you're strong and able.

The program I was accepted to accepts 40 students a year. That seems to be the average. I've heard of some schools accepting 100/year, but I think that's out of the norm -- and who would really want to go to a program with THAT many students?

The program I was accepted to is in California and I live on the East coast... I don't think schools really care where you're from. They just want to know that you do well in school, and have the necessary skills to be an OT. They like to see volunteer work - anything people-oriented. OTs need to love people!

I was wondering about the demographics of OT students. Is it female dominated? What is the fitness level? About how many students are accepted per class? Do schools accept a lot of out of state students?

Thanks!

Yes very much so OT is pretty much a female dominated profession. its not really a female type of job. You got to pick up people and do all this physical activity in treatment. PT is also pretty much female dominated but more males are in it because its more well known. My class is 28 females and 2 males, speaking from a male's perspective as 1 of 2 males in the class I would say bad demographics. But definitely if you are male you have an advantage during the application process.