Other OT-Related Information OT to Doctorate? TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talia94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. My friends is currently in school to be a COTA. She said her professor told her that Occupational Therapist will be required to have a Doctorate in 2018. Just like Physical Therapists. Does anyone that lives in Texas know if this is true, or have heard about it ?

Members don't see this ad.

They will be grandfathered in. There are a OTs with bachelors still.

Hi, guys. My friends is currently in school to be a COTA. She said her professor told her that Occupational Therapist will be required to have a Doctorate in 2018. Just like Physical Therapists. Does anyone that lives in Texas know if this is true, or have heard about it ?
So, there will no longer be a MOT program ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in 2018 there will no longer be a MOT program in Texas ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Sorry I misread. I though you meant an OT who has a bachelors already will need a doctorate level degree to practice. That wont happen.

Idk about the entry level doctorate level OT being mandatory anytime soon. I do not think it is a state issue.

Schools may just start offering a doctorate level degree of the ca$h and getting rid of the MOT.

Last year they decided not to have an entry level OTD. I think all programs were supposed to convert by 2025 or something.

From what I've heard from faculty from OTD programs is that Texas is really hesitant on that transition mostly because that hurts or public school programs (tech, twu, utmb to name a few). However UTSHA in San Antonio has made the first step into accreditation. If you go on the AOTA and under the education tab/accreditation you and see which programs are making that transition.

I think by 2025 OTD will be more widely available and encouraged.

& I live in Texas and have shadowed Ots they still aren't recommending the OTD over masters.

From what I've heard from faculty from OTD programs is that Texas is really hesitant on that transition mostly because that hurts or public school programs (tech, twu, utmb to name a few). However UTSHA in San Antonio has made the first step into accreditation. If you go on the AOTA and under the education tab/accreditation you and see which programs are making that transition.

I think by 2025 OTD will be more widely available and encouraged.

& I live in Texas and have shadowed Ots they still aren't recommending the OTD over masters.
I agree, the TX OTS I shadowed are still recommending the MOT over OTD. However, I struggle with the bridge option as many TX schools are allowing you to bridge into their OTD if currently accepted as MOT-I am hoping that getting an MOT, getting a fulltime job and/or PRN, and getting some certs will put MOTS in a good competitive space, rather than spending the time and money to bridge OTD----Any input is appreciated.