Other OT-Related Information OT vs. OTA advice - OT'S need doctoral-level entry in 2025!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deelovely30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have been struggling with my career choice to become an occupational therapy for two years now. I will have semesters where the only thing I want to do is become an OT and then I will have days where I doubt my ability to even get into the master level program. I naively picked my bachelor’s degree in psychology based on what I thought would look the best for admissions into the OT program and not what I feel passionate about for a second career choice if I can’t get into OT school. I have approximately a year and a half left before I graduate with a BS in psychology in Texas. I assume my GPA and pre-requisites will be between a 3.3-3.6 when I am finished. Looking at everyone’s GPA scores and GRE scores on the threads, specifically in the Texas MOT thread, you guys made me want to cry! A GPA OF 4.0?! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS ON AND WHERE CAN I GET SOME?!

My mom who has been an OT for over 30 years repeatedly tells me that I should go the OTA route because of the amount of pressure they put on her at work. She absolutely loves being an OT but her caseload and the endless amounts of notes make her extremely stressed. One of the reasons why I haven’t gone that route yet is because of the work and money I have already put into my bachelor’s degree to become an OT. There’s nothing more upsetting than spending four years obtaining a degree just to go back to college to get another degree to make the same amount of money.

The second reason why I haven’t gone that route is because if I decide once I am an OTA and I would like to make more money and become an OT and peruse an MOT bridge program, it might be too late. In 2025, you will need a doctoral entry for occupational therapy. I know, crazy huh? Getting into masters level program is already competitive enough and were already spending enough money as it is just on our bachelors and masters alone. (Here is the link if you would like to know more about it- http://www.aota.org/aboutaota/get-involved/bod/news/2014/doctoral-level-article.aspx) I know 10 years is kind of a long time but I won’t be finished with my bachelors for another year and a half. So if I decide to go into OTA School that is additional two years. If I would like to obtain my masters in OT I need to apply to a MOT bridge program like Texas Woman’s University. At TWU and other bridge programs you need a minimum of one year experience as an OTA before you can even apply. The MOT bridge programs are normally two years before you finish. That’s already 6 ½ years and that’s if I get into an OTA program and MOT bridge program the first time I apply.

Anyways, the point of the lonnnng thread (sorry it is so long!) is I’m nervous about getting into a masters level program. I’m not sure if realistically I can compete with the other students who are applying to the same Texas schools I am. Seeing my mom as exhausted as she is every night, it makes me wonder if making 20k more a year is worth being that stressed. Viewing other posts about how unhappy they are with the master’s program they are in and the jobs after they obtain their OT degree makes me wonder if it is even worth it. I have a better chance of getting into the OTA program because I will already have a bachelor’s degree. I just have to get over the fact that I’m not using my bachelor’s degree for a masters in OT and I will be making less money.

I was thinking about applying to an OTA school this upcoming fall just to see if I could get in and then maybe go that route instead of an OT. Or maybe I should just wait until I finish my bachelors and apply to OT schools and OTA schools at the same time and go wherever I get accepted. Ugh, I don’t know anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please tell me I’m not the only one that’s stuck in this position between OT and OTA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I have been struggling with my career choice to become an occupational therapy for two years now. I will have semesters where the only thing I want to do is become an OT and then I will have days where I doubt my ability to even get into the master level program. I naively picked my bachelor’s degree in psychology based on what I thought would look the best for admissions into the OT program and not what I feel passionate about for a second career choice if I can’t get into OT school. I have approximately a year and a half left before I graduate with a BS in psychology in Texas. I assume my GPA and pre-requisites will be between a 3.3-3.6 when I am finished. Looking at everyone’s GPA scores and GRE scores on the threads, specifically in the Texas MOT thread, you guys made me want to cry! A GPA OF 4.0?! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS ON AND WHERE CAN I GET SOME?!

My mom who has been an OT for over 30 years repeatedly tells me that I should go the OTA route because of the amount of pressure they put on her at work. She absolutely loves being an OT but her caseload and the endless amounts of notes make her extremely stressed. One of the reasons why I haven’t gone that route yet is because of the work and money I have already put into my bachelor’s degree to become an OT. There’s nothing more upsetting than spending four years obtaining a degree just to go back to college to get another degree to make the same amount of money.

The second reason why I haven’t gone that route is because if I decide once I am an OTA and I would like to make more money and become an OT and peruse an MOT bridge program, it might be too late. In 2025, you will need a doctoral entry for occupational therapy. I know, crazy huh? Getting into masters level program is already competitive enough and were already spending enough money as it is just on our bachelors and masters alone. (Here is the link if you would like to know more about it- http://www.aota.org/aboutaota/get-involved/bod/news/2014/doctoral-level-article.aspx) I know 10 years is kind of a long time but I won’t be finished with my bachelors for another year and a half. So if I decide to go into OTA School that is additional two years. If I would like to obtain my masters in OT I need to apply to a MOT bridge program like Texas Woman’s University. At TWU and other bridge programs you need a minimum of one year experience as an OTA before you can even apply. The MOT bridge programs are normally two years before you finish. That’s already 6 ½ years and that’s if I get into an OTA program and MOT bridge program the first time I apply.

Anyways, the point of the lonnnng thread (sorry it is so long!) is I’m nervous about getting into a masters level program. I’m not sure if realistically I can compete with the other students who are applying to the same Texas schools I am. Seeing my mom as exhausted as she is every night, it makes me wonder if making 20k more a year is worth being that stressed. Viewing other posts about how unhappy they are with the master’s program they are in and the jobs after they obtain their OT degree makes me wonder if it is even worth it. I have a better chance of getting into the OTA program because I will already have a bachelor’s degree. I just have to get over the fact that I’m not using my bachelor’s degree for a masters in OT and I will be making less money.

I was thinking about applying to an OTA school this upcoming fall just to see if I could get in and then maybe go that route instead of an OT. Or maybe I should just wait until I finish my bachelors and apply to OT schools and OTA schools at the same time and go wherever I get accepted. Ugh, I don’t know anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please tell me I’m not the only one that’s stuck in this position between OT and OTA.
M
I believe that it will come down to your personality type as to wether you will choose ot or ota. I personally am a very driven, motivated individual who enjoys a challenge and aspires to be a leader in the field. Possessing an mot will benefit me more than being an ota for several reasons. Most importantly, the avenues for advancement have got to be greater for one with a mot vs a ota. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? A leader in the field? Or and ota just putting in your hours letting others make the big decisions? Not that there is anything wrong with that at all. Just depends on where you want to be.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard they're not doing that any more.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's not true about OTs moving to an entry level doctorate... your source is old. In august this year it was officially announced that we won't be moving to a doctorate degree. Check the aota website. Anyway, i think u should finish ur undergrad degree then figure things out. Personally i was in a similiar position, but I could not for the life of me get a BA then go back to get a lower degree and work. It would have been a waste of time and money for me to receieve a BA then get a job with an AA... no no. So i pursued the masters in OT and got in... it never hurts to try. Dont give up on your dream before even trying. And also remembee that u and ur mother can have very different experiences as OTs... (everyone hates paperwork), but all in all you may think its was worth it!!

Reactions: 1 user
Follow your heart.
Also, shadow other OTs and obtain advise from someone who is not your mom. I say this because I have not worked with any OTs who had to take work home, so it could just be that her employer is inconsiderate of her time and schedule.

Imagine this, if you had no idea about your moms extra work load, would you still love IT? Would you still want to be one? If so, work as hard as possible to complete your undergrad with the strongest GPA you can get, and apply apply apply. Some schools even look at your GRE scores and essay as equal to your GPA. So don’t push yourself down before you even get a chance to stand.

Clearly you want to do OT, so that's how I'm going to write my advice.

...shadow other OTs and obtain advise from someone who is not your mom.
This. ^^^ What setting is your mom in? Like, acute or something? What kind of employer does she have? That can make a difference. You don't have to work in the same place she does or in the same field.

Your GPA is probably fine for OT. I don't know what courses you've taken or experiences you've had, but it's good to demonstrate a breadth of baseline competencies -- showing you're able to dabble in the arts, hard sciences, and "customer service" type interactions is good, because OT is a mix of all these things. Shadow in a range of settings and absorb what you see.

You're psych -- got research experience? Some schools like my alma mater LOVE research. Even if you don't love it, it's good to show that you have the ability to lead, work on a team, carry out a goal, identify a problem in need of change, assist in grants, work with participants, advocate for others, etc.

In your personal statement tell the story of your motivation, exploration, and hard work. Heck, maybe consider telling the story of being actually dissuaded by an OT who is YOUR MOM and what made you persevere anyway -- admissions committees want to know that YOU know that OT is not all rainbows and sunshine. There will be productivity demands, butts to wipe, mean patients, patients who don't listen, interdisciplinary team members who have their own stuff going on that makes YOUR job harder -- you name it, all sorts of really frustrating things on top of the normal stuff. You've had the inside perspective of witnessing an OT's "work/life" balance through your parent, which has prepared you for the job's challenges and helped you envision how to seek/build the professional life YOU want while managing stress effectively so that you can be the best possible OT for your patients -- RIGHT??? Well, I'ma stop before I write your whole statement for you. Get your GRE done and apply.

Clearly you want to do OT, so that's how I'm going to write my advice.

This. ^^^ What setting is your mom in? Like, acute or something? What kind of employer does she have? That can make a difference. You don't have to work in the same place she does or in the same field.

Your GPA is probably fine for OT. I don't know what courses you've taken or experiences you've had, but it's good to demonstrate a breadth of baseline competencies -- showing you're able to dabble in the arts, hard sciences, and "customer service" type interactions is good, because OT is a mix of all these things. Shadow in a range of settings and absorb what you see.

You're psych -- got research experience? Some schools like my alma mater LOVE research. Even if you don't love it, it's good to show that you have the ability to lead, work on a team, carry out a goal, identify a problem in need of change, assist in grants, work with participants, advocate for others, etc.

In your personal statement tell the story of your motivation, exploration, and hard work. Heck, maybe consider telling the story of being actually dissuaded by an OT who is YOUR MOM and what made you persevere anyway -- admissions committees want to know that YOU know that OT is not all rainbows and sunshine. There will be productivity demands, butts to wipe, mean patients, patients who don't listen, interdisciplinary team members who have their own stuff going on that makes YOUR job harder -- you name it, all sorts of really frustrating things on top of the normal stuff. You've had the inside perspective of witnessing an OT's "work/life" balance through your parent, which has prepared you for the job's challenges and helped you envision how to seek/build the professional life YOU want while managing stress effectively so that you can be the best possible OT for your patients -- RIGHT??? Well, I'ma stop before I write your whole statement for you. Get your GRE done and apply.

Am I the only one who noticed that the OP was 2015? Lol surely she has decided by now.

Reactions: 3 users
LMAO I never look, I was confused by the recent comment before me. Yeah, hope she figured it out by now.

I spent years worrying I wouldn’t get into a masters program. My GPA wasn’t the greatest and neither were my GRE scores but my passion shined through my service experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. I applied to four programs, got into 3 and turned down the interview at the 4th. I’m glad I’m doing a masters now before they require a doctorate. I’d go for OTA if it was a doctorate now, but OTA’s have stresses and pressures of their own. The grass isn’t always greener on the either side.