OTA advantage for OT admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pal925

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if having an OTA degree will help increase your chances at admission to certain schools. I'm not talking about OTA to OT schools, but my case is that I have:

- 2.9 Bachelor's GPA:(
- 3.2 cumGPA
- 3.8 OTA GPA
- 3.8 prereq GPA
- Work experience as an OTA

So I'm wondering if having excellent prereqs and OTA experiences will help offset my lousy GPA from my bachelor's degree. I am particularly interested in Columbia's program in OT because it has a part-time option.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't necessarily think that having an OTA degree will increase your chances anymore than a student with lots of volunteer/observation experience. I think your stats look good thus far, I think you need to get good LOR from coworkers (which is a bonus as you've worked around alot of OTs as an OTA) and write a kickass essay explaining why you want to become an OT and how your experience as an OTA has made you realize that, etc. Have you taken the pre-req courses recently? Because I think since you got such good grades in those courses you can explain how you've improved since your GPA from your bachelors degree. And I would recommend looking into OTA to OT schools. My program that I'm in now is an OTA to OT program as well as a BA to MS program, so we have regular bachelor's degree students with no OT experience as well as OTAs. I go to Misericordia which is also a weekend program and is flexible enough to allow you to work while attending school.

Hi all,

I was wondering if having an OTA degree will help increase your chances at admission to certain schools. I'm not talking about OTA to OT schools, but my case is that I have:

- 2.9 Bachelor's GPA:(
- 3.2 cumGPA
- 3.8 OTA GPA
- 3.8 prereq GPA
- Work experience as an OTA

So I'm wondering if having excellent prereqs and OTA experiences will help offset my lousy GPA from my bachelor's degree. I am particularly interested in Columbia's program in OT because it has a part-time option.

So have you been accepted?