Other OT-Related Information OTA / MOT - debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornhobble

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone chosen OTA programs over MOT programs just to avoid the debt? How do you feel about your decision?

I'm 25, currently completing the pre-reqs for some MOT programs for community college while I work full time. I make ~42k at my dull office job, have 25k in student loans from my BA (with my repayment plan, I'll end up paying around 30k). MOT programs in general are really expensive, even the cheaper programs, and it's scary to imagine having an extra 30k-100k in debt. I feel like you need to be making 6 figures to really justify that and afaict OTRs are in the 60-90k range.

Anyway, I'm in SD, so I'm looking at grossmont's COTA program and it looks kind of appealing. Total cost is 5-8k, I can work while getting the degree, when I'm done I'll end up making around 50k (based on local salaries for COTAs, correct me if I'm wrong). I know I'm young enough that a lot of people are telling me to just go for the MOT, but I'm skeptical about claims that the huge debt of a grad program is worth it. I'd rather make ok money and not have debt than make great money and have a **** ton of debt. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a career changer and was originally undecided about which path to pursue until one of my mentors (an OT for 20+ years and a professor) said that going for the OTA if you have a bachelor's degree is like going backwards. Even though I could have easily pursued the OTA and been in much less debt, I decided to take her advice and go for the Masters. I had spent my first career as someone's assistant and knew deep down I wanted a little more autonomy with my OT career, so that notion coupled with my professor's advice helped me make the decision to go for the Masters. I think it's personal and even though debt is a huge piece (and maybe a really important piece depending on one's circumstances), I'd also think about what kind of career aspirations you have long term. To me, the extra debt will be worth it for the career goals I have. But I know plenty of people whom the OTA makes sense for. I think both are awesome choices and it comes down to your personality and a host of other things for making the decision on which degree to pursue. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Hi! It sounds like we are in almost the exact same path in life.
I'm just about to finish my BA and a few pre-reqs for MOT programs in California, but am heavily considering the OTA programs in Grossmont (5-8k) and Santa Ana City College (2-3k).
Grossmont has a two year waitlist which I recently found out, and Santa Ana city college is lottery based for their OTA program.
With this in mind, I'm planning on probably finishing up all my requirements for an MOT program, but will apply to both options and just see where I get in.
For me personally, I can't deal with the debt. I've always had to support myself through college and paid for everything including rent/working two jobs, and I know if I don't have support I will be racking up a lot of debt in loans.

I also work in a PT clinic in a hospital, and a few of the PT's have expressed regret over how much debt they have. They are basically trapped for ten years or more trying to pay it all off. They've said going the OTA or PTA route would be a great option, because you are basically doing the same work and collaborating with the OT or PT... you just dont have the qualifications to evaluate or discharge patients, and create treatment plans. But you do have some input in most cases, depending on who you are are working with.
For me, one of the main reasons I want to go into this field is that I enjoy engaging with people and working directly with people. As an OT, I may not be doing that as much, but as an OTA I'd be doing that a lot. That appeals to me, and of course the very small tuition price. I may not be making as much as an OT, but I feel like I'd be making enough to support my simple life :)
And honestly you're young enough so if you decide you want to be an OT down the road, like age 35-40---in my opinion thats really not too late at all, and some places may even help COTA's to achieve that goal.
Good luck! Both paths are awesome!