OTA to OT? Opinions Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been asked before but I didn't see it on any recent threads and have read through all the older threads. I've gotten opinions from my own family and friends but would really like opinions from those that are going through a similar process that I am. :)

I am currently applying for OT schools for the 2014 school year. Like all of you, I am completely in love with the field and know that this is what I want to pursue as a career. I am hopeful that I will get into a school for this coming school year, but I'm also a realist. I'd like to have a Plan B in place in case that doesn't happen for me this time around.

In your opinion, do you think it is worth it to pursue the OTA route when you don't get into OT school? I don't think I'd like to pursue OTA as a career, but more as a route to strengthen my application to eventually attend OT school. I have been told by a couple of admissions counselors that they see OTA as a wonderful stepping stone to OT school that looks great on an application. I'm just struggling with the thought of going to school for OTA for 2 years just to go to school for OT for another 2 years eventually. But then again, if I don't get into any OT programs for 2014, I'm going to have to wait around for the 2015 cycle, which is a bothersome thought to me too. What do you guys think? Is this a good option to consider or am I crazy?

Also, does anyone have any actual idea how much OTA's make? I have tried looking on various salary websites but they vary SO much from website to website. I know it also varies by state but I am just trying to get a general idea. If I am going to consider the OTA option to get through to OT, I just feel like salary is something that I need to take into consideration.

Hopefully I'll just get into OT school and all this will just be precaution! But I appreciate your guys' input and opinions to help me sort out my thoughts. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.