OTC products

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khydroxide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which insulins are OTC ? Also what reference do we use to find out if something is available as generic?

Members don't see this ad.

which insulins are OTC ? Also what reference do we use to find out if something is available as generic?

With "pharmacy student" status, you should NOT have to ask this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
With "pharmacy student" status, you should NOT have to ask this question.

They could be starting pharmacy school this fall.

I've never seen an insulin sold OTC, so I gather there are none. Maybe if you're from Canada, they could have some OTC ones.

I've never seen an insulin sold OTC, so I gather there are none. Maybe if you're from Canada, they could have some OTC ones.

maybe they meant BTC. There are insulins sold BTC....they are basically not the pens....

at least not the logs or lantus...

ok so maybe you can answer my question. which insulin products are sold without a prescription.

Actually I was wondering the same thing the other day. Hopefully I am not embarrassing myself here, but I couldn't figure an easy way to tell. I thought all prescription-only medications said "RX Only" or "By Prescription Only" on the box, but one of the techs said that doesn't apply to insulins. I had planned to look it up, but until now I forgot to. Also not sure where I would look that up. :laugh:

Insulin is available OTC in Canada.

Edit: and by OTC I mean without a prescription (schedule II, behind the counter).

Members don't see this ad :)
I take it schedule II means something different in Canada?

Ya, schedule II just means no Rx but behind the counter. Schedule III is OTC (but only for sale within a pharmacy). Schedule I is Rx. (at least in my province).

So what does Canada use for C-II thru C-V notation that we use here?

So what does Canada use for C-II thru C-V notation that we use here?

You're gonna have to tell me what C-II and C-V mean for me to answer that (and no I'm not gonna look it up myself! ;))

All U-100 Humulin and Novolin insulin are OTC and have been OTC for the more than 30 years I have worked in pharmacy. Novolog, Humalog, Lantus, Apidra and Levemir are Rx only... Not sure about the U-500 Humulin R.

Reactions: 1 user
U-500 requires a prescription, as do all the "designer" insulins, but yes, Humulin and Novolin N, R, 70/30, 50/50 do not require a prescription but one is required for insurance to pay. Do they still make U and L? I've heard varying things about that.

The animal insulins were OTC as well.

U-500 requires a prescription, as do all the "designer" insulins, but yes, Humulin and Novolin N, R, 70/30, 50/50 do not require a prescription but one is required for insurance to pay. Do they still make U and L? I've heard varying things about that.

The animal insulins were OTC as well.

U&L were taken off the market. The animal insulins were U-40 and U-80 and were not for animals, but for smaller humans that were also used in animals.

Debate in the 1970's in England about adopting U-100/

All U-100 Humulin and Novolin insulin are OTC and have been OTC for the more than 30 years I have worked in pharmacy. Novolog, Humalog, Lantus, Apidra and Levemir are Rx only... Not sure about the U-500 Humulin R.
The reason is that they were already in use when the FDA began establishing stricter rules for prescription drugs and were grandfathered in.

What about the Humulin R or N pens or boxes of pen needles? We show them listed as OTC, but I thought they were like the insulin syringes which are listed as OTC, but really you need a prescription. I had a doctor come in recently insisting that the pens and pen needles could be purchased OTC, but I can't find a definitive answer on this.

What about the Humulin R or N pens or boxes of pen needles? We show them listed as OTC, but I thought they were like the insulin syringes which are listed as OTC, but really you need a prescription. I had a doctor come in recently insisting that the pens and pen needles could be purchased OTC, but I can't find a definitive answer on this.

What part of ALL Humulin and Novolin U-100 is OTC don't you understand. Also, every state in the union allows for the sale of insulin syringes OTC. Pennsylvania was the last hold out state.

Same thing that Old Timer said, Humulin R and N that are U-100 can be sold without a prescription. Same thing for insulin needles, pen needles, etc. However, the policy about whether your company allows sales is different. For example, Costco wants nothing to do with selling insulin needles or pen needles without a prescription. (Makes no sense to me. Personally, I don't care if people are using insulin needles for illicit drug use, and I'm willing to support their IDU as long as they are not sharing needles and avoiding the spread of HIV.)

Same thing that Old Timer said, Humulin R and N that are U-100 can be sold without a prescription. Same thing for insulin needles, pen needles, etc. However, the policy about whether your company allows sales is different. For example, Costco wants nothing to do with selling insulin needles or pen needles without a prescription. (Makes no sense to me. Personally, I don't care if people are using insulin needles for illicit drug use, and I'm willing to support their IDU as long as they are not sharing needles and avoiding the spread of HIV.)

This is exactly how I feel. Limiting the availability of clean needles ain't gonna stop the use of illegal drugs and I would much prefer the use of clean needles over dirty needles for any purpose. I honestly do not understand people that try to harass people or limit selling clean needles. Would they prefer addicts to also spread their HIV around while they are at it?

This is exactly how I feel. Limiting the availability of clean needles ain't gonna stop the use of illegal drugs and I would much prefer the use of clean needles over dirty needles for any purpose. I honestly do not understand people that try to harass people or limit selling clean needles. Would they prefer addicts to also spread their HIV around while they are at it?

I never had a problem with it either until they started to go into our bathroom to shoot up.

I never had a problem with it either until they started to go into our bathroom to shoot up.

And if this was discrete, I wouldn't be up in arms about it. It's when they leave the used syringes on the sink, in the trash cans, and on the floor, and it directly puts my customers and coworkers at risk that make it an offense to me.

And if this was discrete, I wouldn't be up in arms about it. It's when they leave the used syringes on the sink, in the trash cans, and on the floor, and it directly puts my customers and coworkers at risk that make it an offense to me.

Talk about rude. Whatever happened to the common decency of going home to shot up? I tell you some people have no manners at all.

Yup, part of the reason Costco doesn't want to sell needles is that it doesn't want "those kind" of customers in the stores. When you're going to the pharmacy, you do not need a Costco card but now you pretty much have access to the whole store.

What part of ALL Humulin and Novolin U-100 is OTC don't you understand. Also, every state in the union allows for the sale of insulin syringes OTC. Pennsylvania was the last hold out state.

Well aren't you just SO smart!!!:rolleyes: I don't know where you work, but where I am, it isn't quite so black and white.

Also, I am aware that syringes can be bought OTC. I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to full boxes of 100, but apparently I have to explain that.

Last edited:
Well aren't you just SO smart!!!:rolleyes: I don't know where you work, but where I am, it isn't quite so black and white.

Also, I am aware that syringes can be bought OTC. I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to full boxes of 100, but apparently I have to explain that.

Well the law is black and white. Federal law sates these items are OTC. Your state may be different, but I doubt it. I was under the impression that Pennsylvania was the last state to allow syringes to be sold without a prescription. Insulin, however is OTC everywhere....

Well the law is black and white. Federal law sates these items are OTC. Your state may be different, but I doubt it. I was under the impression that Pennsylvania was the last state to allow syringes to be sold without a prescription. Insulin, however is OTC everywhere....

The law may be black and white, and I know that the products are classified as OTC. I am not asking whether or not they are prescription items, but rather whether or not they can be purchased without a prescription. For example, technically Robitussin AC can be purchased without a prescription, however we do not sell it unless the customer has a prescription for it. My question is more of an interpretation and company policy question versus a law question.

As for syringes, only 20 can be purchased in my state without a prescription. However, a box of 100 is still listed in the computer as OTC.

Actually I was wondering the same thing the other day. Hopefully I am not embarrassing myself here, but I couldn't figure an easy way to tell. I thought all prescription-only medications said "RX Only" or "By Prescription Only" on the box, but one of the techs said that doesn't apply to insulins. I had planned to look it up, but until now I forgot to. Also not sure where I would look that up. :laugh:
The Rx only indication should be on the box for Apidra, Humalog, Novolog, Levemir and Lantus insulins. If it doesn't say Rx only, it will have the Rx logo somewhere on the packaging.

Rapid acting and Long acting insulin are not OTC.

Short acting and intermediate acting (and their mixes) are OTC.

Explain this more fully. It has absolutely nothing to do with pharmacology and everything to do with chemistry. The insulin analogs are Rx only and Human insulin except for U500 is OTC. It has nothing to do with duration of action.

The law may be black and white, and I know that the products are classified as OTC. I am not asking whether or not they are prescription items, but rather whether or not they can be purchased without a prescription. For example, technically Robitussin AC can be purchased without a prescription, however we do not sell it unless the customer has a prescription for it. My question is more of an interpretation and company policy question versus a law question.

As for syringes, only 20 can be purchased in my state without a prescription. However, a box of 100 is still listed in the computer as OTC.

Your state law will override Federal law if it is more stringent. So while the Feds will allow Robitussin AC to be sold over the counter, Pennsylvania will not. Check with some expert with your state's law. The same applies to syringes. But the law is the law.

What about humulin and/or novolin mixtures, ie 70/30? Are they OTC in PA?

What about humulin and/or novolin mixtures, ie 70/30? Are they OTC in PA?

You literally resurrected a thread 4 years old to ask a question that was already answered in this thread. My contempt for you could not be greater.

I know this is old as crap but if the law is black and white then why do we need the judicial branch whose purpose is to interpret the laws? Lots of the law is intentionally various shades of gray.

Also,
If it's ok to sell them OTC why don't they conform to the FDA label guidelines, Snap!!

I know this is old as crap but if the law is black and white then why do we need the judicial branch whose purpose is to interpret the laws? Lots of the law is intentionally various shades of gray.

Also,
If it's ok to sell them OTC why don't they conform to the FDA label guidelines, Snap!!

Some are, but this is not. Humulin and Novolin are OTC.

All of the intermediate acting are OTC:Regualar insulin, Novolin R and Humulin R,
Also Humulin N is OTC, but not Novolin N (I remember it by "two Ns means not OTC)
Also the mixes are OTC SO Humulin and Novolin 70/30 mixes

All of the intermediate acting are OTC:Regualar insulin, Novolin R and Humulin R,
Also Humulin N is OTC, but not Novolin N (I remember it by "two Ns means not OTC)
Also the mixes are OTC SO Humulin and Novolin 70/30 mixes

In my state, all Regular and NPH are OTC (like others have said), including Novolin N, R, and its mixed products. To claim for insurance, patients need prescriptions. For syringes, it's all OTC from what I know but whether you can sell it OTC freely depends on your company and you. My partner always asks people to show him their insulin vials/ pens or proof that they are diabetic before he sells them; but for me, I only do so with suspicious people cause I don't believe in supplying these to drug addicts. There were time I had patient out of their Rx short acting and their rf were pending over the weekends, and I told them to go for a few days with Regular and figured out the dose for them. For me, if it's insulin or anything insulin-related, I always doublecheck cause these names, oh boy, are so easy to be confused.

Last edited:
But maine requires a rx for insulin

You guys really should listen to Old Timer about all of this. I guess I'm an oldtimer too since I know this, how short or long acting an insulin is has NOTHING to do with whether or not its OTC or RX. All the "old" insulins (which at this point are only Novolin & Humalin products as OldTimer pointed out--with the excepting of U500) are OTC, all the "new" insulins are prescription. If the "old" insulins were coming up for approval today, almost certainly they would be made RX only (just as aspirin almost certainly would be.) But the thinking & law was different at the time, so they are NOT RX, and with little reason to go through the formal process to change their status, nobody has. This is federal law, state laws may be stricter (mine isn't)

As for syringes, most states have their own laws on the quantity (if any) that can be sold (my state is also #20 without a prescription.) I am VERY grateful to be living in a state where the law making syringes RX only was specifically changed in order to allow sells to illegal drug users, to cut down on the spread of HIV/Hepatitis/Who knows what else, that the state Medicaid then end up paying for. I'm not a police officer and I would dislike having to "police" people's syringe use as some states require. I also dislike having to pay higher taxes (and or get lower reimbursements to the pharmacy which could affect my salary), because of the state having high Medicaid payments. And on a humanitarian level, I would rather people not be inflicted with chronic, potentially fatal disease such as HIV/Hepatitis/Who knows what else, just because they have made some poor choice concerning friends & needle sharing.

Selling needles OTC benefits all of us, I really don't understand why people are against it. (yeah, there will always be one rude person who shoots up in the bathroom, but if it wasn't that, the rude person would probably be doing something else destructive anyway)

For example, technically Robitussin AC can be purchased without a prescription, however we do not sell it unless the customer has a prescription for it. My question is more of an interpretation and company policy question versus a law question.

OK, I know this quote is 4 years old (hopefully you've figured it out by now.), but I don't get what you are asking? Here is the rule, you have Federal Law, State Law, and Company Policy....what you do is always follow the most strict of all of them. If Federal & State law allows you to do something, but Company Policy doesn't want you to do it, then you don't do it (if you want to keep your job.) Now going the opposite way, if Federal Law requires you to do something, even if your Company Policy doesn't want you to do it, you must still do it because its required by Federal Law.

With CVS if you do F3 (Drug Info) it will list the drug classification status (i.e. CII, Legend Only, OTC).

Our state however recently reclassified all insulin products as legend drugs- made it easier to not need to remember, but more difficult when someone claims they're out of insulin and don't have any previous RX's on file for it.

Are you sure about that? There has got to be at least one state where insulin syringes aren't OTC. There is a box of syringes at the independent I work relief for that has Rx Only written on the box. Might be regular syringes though, will double check.

Are you sure about that? There has got to be at least one state where insulin syringes aren't OTC. There is a box of syringes at the independent I work relief for that has Rx Only written on the box. Might be regular syringes though, will double check.

I believe the only state that requires a prescription is Delaware?

"Only one state, Delaware, now requires adults to have prescriptions for syringes, Burris said. There also are government-sanctioned needle exchange programs in dozens of states across the nation — which makes the reluctance to sell them legally even more baffling."

Source: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/colu...c-is-denied-syringes-theres-a-big-problem.ece