Program-Specific Info / Q's OTD Financial nerves!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslex01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I applied to two programs to get my occupational therapy degree. And the school is pretty hefty in price due to it being a private school.

But through my research I also realized scholarships in occupational therapy are scarce which scares me. I am trying to place myself in the best position to not have to take out so many loans. Does anybody have any suggestions on what scholarships to apply for, other financial help they have experienced, graduate assistantships?

Through my research I read most of the people who get graduate assistantships are PHD's or like masters in arts and science.

Did you guys get a lot from financial aid towards your OT program? Did your school offer scholarships?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 9 OT schools and got accepted all of them... 8 gave scholarships (PITT was the only one that did not, and it appears they don't for 1st years). OT school is expensive even with the school scholarships... hard to find money except for the "guaranteed" loans. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
There are often grants available from the program or university that can help. Look into forgiveness programs, I currently participate in the PSLF program. If you work in a qualifying non profit public service job (contract jobs do NOT qualify) and make 120 payments (10 years), the remaining balance on your federal student loans is forgiven. You need to certify your qualifying employment every year, and the more on top of it you are the easier it is to get your total balance forgiven at the end. The silver lining of the pandemic for me was that the pause in student loan payments all counted towards PSLF.

Reactions: 1 user