Other Impactful Experiences: personal health issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Could a personal health issue be a story for the "other impactful experiences essay." I have a chronic GI illness which served as a challenge during college and covid, but I was able to overcome it. Will medical schools judge this "invisible disability" and think I will not be able to handle medical school? Or is it chance to show adversity?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could a personal health issue be a story for the "other impactful experiences essay." I have a chronic GI illness which served as a challenge during college and covid, but I was able to overcome it. Will medical schools judge this "invisible disability" and think I will not be able to handle medical school? Or is it chance to show adversity?
Yes, a personal health issue such as a chronic GI illness can certainly be a topic for the "other impactful experiences essay" in your medical school application. This essay is an opportunity to showcase your resilience and how you overcame challenges that have shaped your character and experiences.

Medical schools are interested in applicants who have faced and overcome challenges, and the chronic illness that you have managed while achieving academic success is certainly an example of resilience. Admissions committees understand that many medical professionals have health challenges of their own, and having a chronic illness is not seen as a negative factor in your application.

Instead, focus on highlighting how you overcame the challenges presented by your illness and how it has impacted your character, work ethic, and empathy for others. Your experience can also show your interest in medicine and your motivation to help others who face similar challenges.

Overall, your personal health issue can be a powerful story for your "other impactful experiences essay" and a chance to show your ability to overcome adversity.

Reactions: 1 users
Good for med school applications. Avoid like the plague for residency applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I can reply here (I’m new to sdn lol) but I also face a chronic endo illness which has served to significantly transform my life. However, I’m including this as a my main point in my PS for “why medicine?” and would like insight on whether to also and how to include it in “other impactful experiences”?

Not sure if I can reply here (I’m new to sdn lol) but I also face a chronic endo illness which has served to significantly transform my life. However, I’m including this as a my main point in my PS for “why medicine?” and would like insight on whether to also and how to include it in “other impactful experiences”?
Don't be redundant and don't be a one trick pony with the same story for every prompt.

I agree with Lizzy. As you describe it, it is another impactful experience. Put your diagnosis and management/recovery story there.

Status
Not open for further replies.