"Other Information" essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I'm looking at some secondary apps now and I came one that asks for any 'special experiences or other information i'd want the admissions committee to know"

there are a few things I'm considering putting here, but I'm not sure if it's something that's worth talking about or just making excuses.

The first is that my bcpm gpa is low because of two college level classes taht i took in high school (retook in college) that I got C's in.

The second would be to mention something about my 'most meaningful experience,' because i feel that it has significantly impacted my decision to go into medicine. Should i have two parts to this one essay, or just focus on one thing or what?

Members don't see this ad.

is it really only necessary to include info in the optional info/essay section if you have a situation to explain (low grades, suspension, etc.) or should you always try to include something that would help your application in that space. in other words, would it reflect badly on an applicant to leave that section blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
I think your "most meaningful experience" should be somewhere else in your app so it shouldn't go there.
I disagree. I believe the OP is referring to the Baylor secondary and I would use that space to discuss your most meaningful experience, especially since this is the ONLY essay for that secondary. Plus, the question does ask for "special experiences"

snowgirl said:
is it really only necessary to include info in the optional info/essay section if you have a situation to explain (low grades, suspension, etc.) or should you always try to include something that would help your application in that space. in other words, would it reflect badly on an applicant to leave that section blank?

i would not leave it blank...i am sure if you delibrate hard enough you can come up with something that will help your app

ah...normally i think that should be atleast mentioned in the primary PS, but if it is phrased that way for baylor then go in more detail.

MadameLULU said:
I disagree. I believe the OP is referring to the Baylor secondary and I would use that space to discuss your most meaningful experience, especially since this is the ONLY essay for that secondary. Plus, the question does ask for "special experiences"

you are correct. I am in fact referring to the Baylor application. I think i will probably use this space to write my essay on my most meaningful experience.

MadameLULU said:

you are correct. I am in fact referring to the Baylor application. I think i will probably use this space to write my essay on my most meaningful experience. Need to hurry up and finish UT-Southwestern's.

jammin06 said:
you are correct. I am in fact referring to the Baylor application. I think i will probably use this space to write my essay on my most meaningful experience. Need to hurry up and finish UT-Southwestern's.

I asked Baylor and they said to only include things that are NOT on the AMCAS application. Just an FYI...

Jim

Is Baylor's secondary by invitation or available already online?