Other programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here apply or is thinking of applying to programs other than optometry?

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to optometry schools and I only took the OAT.

But when i had an interview at PCO they asked me if I had taken the DAT or if I'm applying to other programs besides optometry....

Be careful if you're applying to optometry and other programs, you will be looked at as a "confused" candidate and that doesnt fly with optometry schools....;)

Because I am in Canada applying to Canada professional schools with tough competitions, I have applied to basically every program there is:

Took the MCAT and applied to Med
Took the Canadian DAT and applied to Dentistry
Applied to Pharmacy
Applied to Physiotherapy
Applied to Chiro
Took the OAT but did not apply to OD in Waterloo (because of it VAST requirements!)

However, I have also taken the American DAT and applied to U.S. dental schools (4) and I got in on my first try!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like an assload of $$ just to apply!

Canadian schools are depressingly tough :mad:

Originally posted by jd4me
That sounds like an assload of $$ just to apply!

It is, but now I don't have to worry about applying again! Although now I have to face the reality of paying 'Visa student' tuition!+pity+

Hey Musketeer,

Congratz on your acceptance!

Are you going to wait until the Canadian schools reply before you decide where to go? What's your top choice of program/school?

Hey Ames,

I have decided on pursuing a career in dentistry. I have an opportunity to work in a dental office as a dental assistant for 1 year now and I have loved every moment of it! I just can't wait to start dental school! I have also applied to Western Ontario dental school, however I believe that dental schools in U.S. have superior clinical curricula than Canadian dental schools (which I think is an important factor in my decision).

I have applied to pharmacy as a backup just in case I did not get into dental school, and I basically eliminated myself from getting into chiropractic because I have observed how chiropractors work and it is very hard for me to accept the work that they do (heal various ailments by subluxation) without concrete scienific support.

Hi Musketeer,

It sounds like you're all set! It seems like there's a trend in that Canadian schools aren't as good as US schools for a lot of health care programs (especially optometry!). But they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

Just out of curiosity, if you go to the US for dentistry, would you consider returning to Canada or work in the US to help pay off the massive tuition debts?

I have applied to pharmacy as a backup just in case I did not get into dental school, and I basically eliminated myself from getting into chiropractic because I have observed how chiropractors work and it is very hard for me to accept the work that they do (heal various ailments by subluxation) without concrete scienific support.

I?m a chiropractor and I don?t ?heal various ailments by subluxation?. It is true that many chiropractors subscribe to this dogma but a growing number does not. You can still be a chiropractor and be successful without incorporating subluxation nonsense in your practice.

People seem to think chiropractic and manipulation is one of the same. Chiropractic is more than just popping joints. As a chiropractor I utilize acupuncture, rehab and also clinical nutrition in my practice. The manipulation part of chiropractic is best suited for the treatment of neuromuscular complaints. As a chiropractor you can utilize other means (nutrition, acupuncture, physical therapy, diet and exercise) to treat many patient complaints that fall outside the neuromuscular realm.

I find that the canadian schools are typically weaker in clinical areas, mostly due to the fact that clinical exposure doesn't start until year 3. However, I don't think that an education at a canadian school would be a liability, especially since there's such a high rate of success with the board exams.

Originally posted by Ames
Hi Musketeer,

It sounds like you're all set! It seems like there's a trend in that Canadian schools aren't as good as US schools for a lot of health care programs (especially optometry!). But they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

Just out of curiosity, if you go to the US for dentistry, would you consider returning to Canada or work in the US to help pay off the massive tuition debts?

Right now I am setting on doing the latter. I hope that I can stay employ in U.S. as long as possible to try to eliminate the debt rapidly, then maybe I will come back to open my own office when I save enough....but this situation will not occur for a long time, maybe in 10 years or so.:)

Pharmacy anyone? Well even though i know i'm gonna go to optometry school this fall, i signed up to take the PCAT this Saturday (March 27) anyone. I just want to see how it is compared to the OAT because I had some friends who said that it is "really hard". ooo...:rolleyes:I want to prove them wrong. My sister also wants me to take it to see if i can beat her score 2 years ago, she's in pharmacy school now.

C'mon, they don't even have physics and organic stuff. All they had is Biology, General Chemistry (maybe some elemtary Organic), Quantitative, Verbal (Analogies and Synonyms/Antonyms), and Reading Comprehension. No, i'm not really an over achiever...i just want to taste different standardize tests. :D

I think that eyedream82 should get a gold star! ;)

Has anyone else applied to or is planning to apply to other programs? Just wanted your perspectives on why these other programs, and what would be your first choice and why?