Our Computer Suck...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They are old, slow, and suffer a lot of crashes/freezes. I spoke with IT and they are willing to set up a tablet for me with wifi. Are there any windows tablets with large amounts of memory and high powered processors?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the EMR it may not even be the computer itself. I know ours runs a virtual desktop that is really more dependent on the servers than the individual computer it is running on. Although if the computer itself is a dinosaur that can be a problem too.

Most virtual desktop setups don't require or even use large amounts of memory or processing power in the above setup. They just need a good internet connection and hopefully your hospital's servers aren't too slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surface Pro 2/3 seems.to be the way to go. Ordered an i5 with 8 gigs of RAM. Will let you know how this experiment goes... I may even install dragon and get a bluetooth headset and dictate into the tablet. Get google glass for resources and I will be half borg when I walk into the exam room.

Resistance is futile... here is your dilaudid.

Reactions: 1 users
Mil, did you have much luck with the surface? I'm considering buying one and installing dragon on it. We're using Cerner Firstnet and I'm having limited success with an iPad/citrix for punching in orders as I move from room to room in our spread out ED but I'm looking for something more efficient. One of my colleagues just bought one but I can't tell if it would be much more efficiency or not. I'm a full Apple guy but the iPad doesn't really cut it. I even got a bamboo stylus to use with it but it's not quite pin point accurate enough. I'd love to be able to dictate in my HPI and MDM on days when I don't have scribes. I used dragon at my last gig though I haven't missed it too much since I'm a fast typer. Anyway, was curious how your surface experiment went or anybody else that's using one at work.

I absolutely love my iPad,
I've been seeing the iPad minis lately in the trauma bay,

But if you're a window's fan, my brother uses the brand new windows' tablet/keyboard, and he has been very pleased with it thus far

Well, the problem I'm having with the iPad is that I have to re-log into citrix/firstnet every time I pick it back up and roam. As soon as I sit down at my workstation to chart, I have to re-log back in which closes my iPad session. The dragon component isn't a necessity though it's nice to be able to dictate. The attraction of the surface to me is that it would be a single device that I could do everything on. The only other solution I can think of with dragon involved would be my macbook set up with dragon and the iPad using a remote desktop viewing app like VNC/Logmein. Or... I could just get used to the multiple log ins and just use the iPad for remote orders when I'm away from my workstation.

Tangentially related:

New laptops still NEED to include a CD or DVD ROM drive.

The Mrs. and I got our wedding photos today in the mail. On two DVD-ROMs. Neither of our "new" laptops have a DVD drive.

Out comes the old lappy, with DVD to flash drive to external HD transfer shufflesteps.

Fox - an external DVD drive is not expensive anymore... I got one with my new lenovo laptop for about $70. really though, other than things like that, when's the last time you used a dvd/cd?

i'm really, really, really, really hoping my current hospital's pending move/?upgrade to Epic will include tablet functionality for order entry. current system totally blows and no one seems interested in fixing it as "epic is coming".

Tangentially related:

New laptops still NEED to include a CD or DVD ROM drive.

The Mrs. and I got our wedding photos today in the mail. On two DVD-ROMs. Neither of our "new" laptops have a DVD drive.

Out comes the old lappy, with DVD to flash drive to external HD transfer shufflesteps.

Congrats.

Fox - an external DVD drive is not expensive anymore... I got one with my new lenovo laptop for about $70. really though, other than things like that, when's the last time you used a dvd/cd?

i'm really, really, really, really hoping my current hospital's pending move/?upgrade to Epic will include tablet functionality for order entry. current system totally blows and no one seems interested in fixing it as "epic is coming".

Yeah, I knew that argument would be made... but i dont want to 'have to buy another peripheral' to do what was once easy.

Last time I used a dvd on my PC was last month to watch "Desperado" on my PC.
Last time I used a CD was to play SimGolf on the PC (1-2 months ago).
And God forbid I want to listen to say R.E.M's "Green".

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew that argument would be made... but i dont want to 'have to buy another peripheral' to do what was once easy.

Last time I used a dvd on my PC was last month to watch "Desperado" on my PC.
Last time I used a CD was to play SimGolf on the PC (1-2 months ago).
And God forbid I want to listen to say R.E.M's "Green".
My favorite R.E.M. song:

"Superman"
R.E.M. • Life's Rich Pageant on Spotify: