Our student service director keeps telling us that if we study more than 6 wks..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncgrad2002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That our scores will actually go down after that? He says he has the numbers to back it up, but I call BS.

I understand that alot of people can burn out, I just have a hard time thinking about either NOT studying for the few weeks right up until my test, OR moving my test date up.

Anybody else being told this?

Members don't see this ad.

That our scores will actually go down after that? He says he has the numbers to back it up, but I call BS.

I understand that alot of people can burn out, I just have a hard time thinking about either NOT studying for the few weeks right up until my test, OR moving my test date up.

I've never heard that. Maybe it's school specific? I could see the reaching a point of diminishing returns after 6 weeks of intense studying, but decreased scores? I dunno.

that's cool... but don't listen to him. even if true, it's just a statistic. it might apply generally, but certainly not to everyone. I took longer than that and I can tell you it was the right call.

Don't listen to your counselor... take as much time as you need. This is the most important exam of your life, and I would never listen to some random person telling me what to do based on a blanket stat.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only good that could come from advice like this, is if it was offered with a free lunch.

In all seriousness though, I can't stand people complaining about too much time to study, I get 2 1/2 weeks, so hearing complaints like this make me wanna pull my hair out.

There would be diminishing returns certainly, but no way would your score go down. it depends on your long-term memory i guess, generally if I memorize something PROPERLY it will stick for months and even if i lose the ability to recall, my recognition memory would be intact much longer.

There would be diminishing returns certainly, but no way would your score go down. it depends on your long-term memory i guess, generally if I memorize something PROPERLY it will stick for months and even if i lose the ability to recall, my recognition memory would be intact much longer.

it most certainly can go down. burn out does happen.

Taking two weeks off w/out studying before your test = HORRIBLE idea.

Moving your test date up if you feel like your knowledge is peaking, burn out may be setting in, and your not getting more out of additional resources = good idea

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the counselor's statistics were true, but assuming they apply to everyone would be a mistake. Someone who had more ground to make up, hadn't even cracked open a board review book or qbank, etc. would probably be well served to use all the time possible. Someone who had already read first aid a couple times, done a qbank or two, been studying for boards along with classes may do better taking the test earlier.

In conclusion, do what feels right for you.

Isn't this like training for a big race so it should involve a proper tapering before the big day?

i say yes. but that's not burnout. burnout is flogging yourself to the point of starting to not care any more and/or paralysis, and i think that happens more than people realize.

Taking two weeks off w/out studying before your test = HORRIBLE idea.

Moving your test date up if you feel like your knowledge is peaking, burn out may be setting in, and your not getting more out of additional resources = good idea

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the counselor's statistics were true, but assuming they apply to everyone would be a mistake. Someone who had more ground to make up, hadn't even cracked open a board review book or qbank, etc. would probably be well served to use all the time possible. Someone who had already read first aid a couple times, done a qbank or two, been studying for boards along with classes may do better taking the test earlier.

In conclusion, do what feels right for you.

this.

"i say yes. but that's not burnout. burnout is flogging yourself to the point of starting to not care any more and/or paralysis, and i think that happens more than people realize."

This is actually a good description. How do you recommend people recharge themselves again after feeling like this?

Last edited:
"i say yes. but that's not burnout. burnout is flogging yourself to the point of starting to not care any more and/or paralysis, and i think that happens more than people realize."

This is actually a good description. How do you recommend people recharge themselves again after feeling like this?

you know, it's really hard to say. you don't know you're burnt out until you're already there, because up until that point you can't imagine anything other than working as hard as you possibly can. the best treatment is probably prevention: know yourself, be reasonable with your goals, take regular light days/days off even when you don't feel like you need them.

it's like blisters: you can feel the hot spots, but you can't or don't want to stop moving. If you stop, you lose time - after all, you might make it without having to do anything about it. But once that bulla pops up, it's already too late and the recovery period is going to hurt you one way or another.

you know, it's really hard to say. you don't know you're burnt out until you're already there, because up until that point you can't imagine anything other than working as hard as you possibly can. the best treatment is probably prevention: know yourself, be reasonable with your goals, take regular light days/days off even when you don't feel like you need them.

it's like blisters: you can feel the hot spots, but you can't or don't want to stop moving. If you stop, you lose time - after all, you might make it without having to do anything about it. But once that bulla pops up, it's already too late and the recovery period is going to hurt you one way or another.

+1 for this. By now you hopefully have some idea of how you study. Follow this and know what works best for you.

Also, how did "said student director" obtain that information? Cohort study (lol). I wouldn't put too much faith into a statement like that

I don't trust these statements by directors. I mean most students just take the test in the amount of time they have between 2nd & third year (4-6 weeks?). The few students who decide to take longer by deferring their 3rd year are probably NOT the best students to start off with. So I feel like all these statistics of "people not doing better when they take longer" is based off of terrible students......people who didn't feel prepared enough (not enough studying throughout the year??) & wanted to defer 3rd year (which is crazy in my mind) & so these students are probably not going to improve all that much anyway........

Sorry if that offends anyone, but the people that get baller scores are people who started board studying a few months before the dedicated summer time, & so technically they are taking longer than 4-6 weeks to prepare.