Out of Match offer Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedebear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have been through the fellowship application. From first hand experience and/or from other people. When are out of match spot offered? Do they do it on interview day? Before you submit rank list etc. Anyone know

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have been through the fellowship application. From first hand experience and/or from other people. When are out of match spot offered? Do they do it on interview day? Before you submit rank list etc. Anyone know

Well I got my offer last interview season after my program was finished with all their interviews. I interviewed in march and got the offer in early May.

I think it totally depends. Depends on how well you and your interests fit the program combined with how much of a gamble the program wants to take that they wont get you. It's probably more likely to happen earlier in the process from a program with more spots, where they are willing to take a spot out of the match for you and still have a bunch of spots left for the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you get offered a spot at a program #3 or lower on your ranklist? And you covet your top two programs. Will the program that offered you an out of match spot not rank you since you obviously want to go elsewhere? Anyone know? How do you turn down an out of match spot and still be ranked high by that program?

What if you get offered a spot at a program #3 or lower on your ranklist? And you covet your top two programs. Will the program that offered you an out of match spot not rank you since you obviously want to go elsewhere? Anyone know? How do you turn down an out of match spot and still be ranked high by that program?

They may...or may not. There's no way to know.

I dont think you need to worry about not being ranked though because if the program wants you that badly so as to offer you a prematch, they're probably going to be crossing their fingers that the match lands you with them.

But true, if you decide to decline the prematch offer, you should definitely do so in a very diplomatic way so as not to offend them. Basically keep things positive, dont make them feel like they're inferior.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to let #1 and #2 program directors (after the interview) know that you have an offer from #3 and would prefer to be there to get a feel of whether you have a chance to match there. Is this in poor form? Bad idea?

Is this something that happens regularly in all fields of medicine subspecialties?

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be a good idea to let #1 and #2 program directors (after the interview) know that you have an offer from #3 and would prefer to be there to get a feel of whether you have a chance to match there. Is this in poor form? Bad idea?

I wouldn't do that, but to each his own. But, I wouldn't accept a position from #3. They should still rank you high and then you will still have a chance at your top two.