outpatient psychiatry in NYC questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I have some questions about working as an outpatient psychiatrist in NYC.
Is it competitive to get a primiarily outpatient position?
Does the residency tier play a large role in getting such a position?
How much time does an outpatient psychiatrist who accepts insurance get to spend with patients?
Do outpatient psychiatrists who accept insurance get to do any psychotherapy? (I understand that doing a 50 minute session with insurance is impossible but how about a 20 minute session....and is that enough time to feel like something was accomplished?)
what is the salary like for outpatient psychiatry in NYC?
How often do you see the same patients? (once a week, once a month?)
are outpatient psychiatrists happy with their jobs/ feel like they are making a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

one more question: are there opportunities for loan forgiveness when doing outpatient psychiatry in an underserved area? and what are those positions like?

hey guys, I have some questions about working as an outpatient psychiatrist in NYC.
Is it competitive to get a primiarily outpatient position?
Does the residency tier play a large role in getting such a position?
How much time does an outpatient psychiatrist who accepts insurance get to spend with patients?
Do outpatient psychiatrists who accept insurance get to do any psychotherapy? (I understand that doing a 50 minute session with insurance is impossible but how about a 20 minute session....and is that enough time to feel like something was accomplished?)
what is the salary like for outpatient psychiatry in NYC?
How often do you see the same patients? (once a week, once a month?)
are outpatient psychiatrists happy with their jobs/ feel like they are making a difference?

Your questions are very non-specific and difficult to answer.
It's not competitive to get a clinic job. It can be very competitive to build a full time cash-only private practice.
Reputation matters a lot.
Nobody takes insurance except in a clinic situation. In that case it's a typical clinic schedule not different from anywhere else.
In a clinic situation nobody does psychotherapy. In private practice you do whatever you want and can get client for.
Generally speaking, if you take insurance, you'll do very little psychotherapy. In certain NYC markets, such as Westchester/parts of Manhattan/NJ suburbs, nobody takes insurance. In fact, it has become so extreme in these markets that if you take insurance, people just assume that you are not good.
Salary is very very variable. goes from typical clinic salary 150k to >1 million.
Variable. Once every three months for a psychopharmacologist to three times a week for an analyst.
Variable. (obviously)
Yes there are loan forgiveness in underserved areas.