Outreach Programs at Your School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, 5 students from Temple University (including myself) went to the United Cerebral Palsy Center in Philadelphia to do screenings and oral health education to the children there.

It was such a great success and I had such a wonderful time there with the little ones. Sometimes, its really amazing to see these kids who live in abnormal conditions can still have such a great spirit and be so active and talkative!! Some kids just talked my ear off!!!!!! And its amazing how you can get kids attention by simply giving them an electronic toothbrush shaped as a racing car or pink mermaid!!! The smiles on all their faces were just priceless!!!

Anyways, I was interested in hearing some other stories of outreach programs in other dental schools around the world!!! Lets hear em, cause Im always interesting in hearing what others are doing......gets my brain thinking of future outreach programs that I wanna organize myself!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Today, 5 students from Temple University (including myself) went to the United Cerebral Palsy Center in Philadelphia to do screenings and oral health education to the children there.

It was such a great success and I had such a wonderful time there with the little ones. Sometimes, its really amazing to see these kids who live in abnormal conditions can still have such a great spirit and be so active and talkative!! Some kids just talked my ear off!!!!!! And its amazing how you can get kids attention by simply giving them an electronic toothbrush shaped as a racing car or pink mermaid!!! The smiles on all their faces were just priceless!!!

Anyways, I was interested in hearing some other stories of outreach programs in other dental schools around the world!!! Lets hear em, cause Im always interesting in hearing what others are doing......gets my brain thinking of future outreach programs that I wanna organize myself!!

well i did do a lot of community services in India.
it really is amazing to see children living in pathetic conditions which to them is luxury yet smiling thru the difficulties cause they are happy for the life that they have.
a simple tooth brush not even electronic and a tube of toothpaste distributed to each one of them , was like a boon considering their background .
we rendered free dental care like extractions and simple ARTs that were possible given our limitations .
these children do not even get the basic medical treatment required.
Seeing a smile on their face because of the relief from pain is absolutely priceless.!!!!

another one of my experinaces was a diagnostic camp conducted for high school children.A lot of students chew tobacco without realising the effects and then are scared to seek treatment.
i diagnosed numerous students with Oral sub mucous fibrosis and leukoplakia...which needed immediate attension , proper diagnosis and treatment.
numerous students came up to us to speak their minds and their problems , because they had no one to turn to and were scared of the problems they were facing.
being able to help and advice and encourage them to seek help ,encouraged me to organise more diagnostic camps for high college and ungergrad students