OUWB vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juniorhd

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I had the opportunity of getting accepted into two schools and am seeking out some extra insight and opinions on here! I plan to decide by today or tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

OUWB
Pros
  • tight knit community feel, smaller class size
  • students seem very happy and supported
  • Beaumont hospital system is strong and allows for many diverse opportunities
Cons
  • harsh weather, esp for an Arizonan native
  • HP/P/F
VCU
Pros
  • 1.5 years for preclinical
  • Commuting within Richmond is a lot easier, hospitals will be nearby as well
  • P/F
  • More well-established as a medical school
  • Beautiful area and nice weather
Cons
  • Did not seem as community-driven as OUWB
  • Not many direct flights to Virginia, so commute will be a little more strenuous for myself or my loves ones (although in the long run, this is not a huge deal)
The overall cost for both is about equal. I also don't have any close ties to any family or friends at either location. As you can probably tell from the pro/con list, I'm leaning more heavily towards VCU but I figured more insight would help me finalize the decision. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you visited either school ?

For me, I'd probably go with VCU for some of the reasons you state. Yes, the travel in and out of Richmond will be a challenge as I'm pretty sure you won't have direct flights to where your family is located.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you visited either school ?

For me, I'd probably go with VCU for some of the reasons you state. Yes, the travel in and out of Richmond will be a challenge as I'm pretty sure you won't have direct flights to where your family is located.

Thank you so much for that input! I didn’t visit unfortunately which I definitely regret now. The lack of direct flights definitely suck but I keep telling myself that it may not matter if I’m only visiting 1-2 times a year. Appreciate your quick response

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if you are intending to travel to AZ, that really is only a couple visits a year.

I would say VCU as well. P/F is nice and it will be an easier climate adjustment in winter.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, if you are intending to travel to AZ, that really is only a couple visits a year.

I would say VCU as well. P/F is nice and it will be an easier climate adjustment in winter.

Thank you! Yes PF will definitely make a difference in terms of school-life balance, it’ll be nice to push myself on my own terms and not for the sake of grades. And yes! I can’t even handle going up north in Arizona, I’m sure it’ll be a tough adjustment at Michigan. Thank you for taking the time to respond

Update - I’ve just gotten a 1/4 tuition scholarship at OUWB! I’ll be going down the rabbit hole of thinking once again.

One quarter tuition scholarship all 4 years would make me think harder about OUWB. Have you compared COL in both areas ?

Cost of living is a little bit higher in Michigan, but not drastically higher!

You might try to reach out to current students at both places. Some are pretty forthcoming. You can sometimes find them on the school specific SDN threads and then DM therm for feedback on questions you might have.

Yeah if that shaves off about 60-70k, that's pretty good. It will likely come down to whether you think you can handle the weather since you said it is tough for you already in the colder parts of AZ.

Thank you both for your responses! You guys have given me great advice and factors to consider - I’ll talk to some students and try to finalize this by tomorrow. Appreciate you both!!

Status
Not open for further replies.