Overachiever Issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sierra123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm your typical crazy pre-med overachiever type. I've grown up always shooting for the best and often achieving it due to hard work, probably like many other ppl here on these forums. But now that I'm applying to med school, I'm starting to realize that it's kind of silly. In part, becuase the whole process is so random, and there are so many over qualified applicants that it is unlikely that I'm going to get into a top 10 school, even if my whole app is perfect.

At the same time, though, I'm having a bit of a hard time dealing with it. Even though rationally I know there is no reason to shoot for a "top" school- mainly referring to the name- because I'm not looking to get a position as an attending at a "top" school or anything like that. Still, admitting that I'm not going to be at one of the best schools is kinda tough.

So I was wondering if anyone else was in the same position and how they are dealing with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I'm your typical crazy pre-med overachiever type. I've grown up always shooting for the best and often achieving it due to hard work, probably like many other ppl here on these forums. But now that I'm applying to med school, I'm starting to realize that it's kind of silly. In part, becuase the whole process is so random, and there are so many over qualified applicants that it is unlikely that I'm going to get into a top 10 school, even if my whole app is perfect.

At the same time, though, I'm having a bit of a hard time dealing with it. Even though rationally I know there is no reason to shoot for a "top" school- mainly referring to the name- because I'm not looking to get a position as an attending at a "top" school or anything like that. Still, admitting that I'm not going to be at one of the best schools is kinda tough.

So I was wondering if anyone else was in the same position and how they are dealing with it.

Are you serious?

Sierra needs a good ole' fashioned history lesson. I mean, you were fortunate enough to be born in America in the 20th century, with virtually everything you could ever want at your fingertips, and this is what your mind is fretting over? I don't mean to sound so heavy handed, but jesus. My point is, you could have been a 22nd century Sumerian peasant, but you aren't. So count your blessings, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can relate to you, bro. I went through a short phase where I just really didn't care about what school I went to. It all just seems like a huge rat race where everyone's just trying to get ahead of the next guy.

And then I jumped back into the race.

There are always going to be people better than you. The sooner you accept this, the more relaxed you'll be. Doesn't mean you can't strive to be the best that you can be and try to reach your maximum potential, but realistically you will never be the best.

Someone post that picture with the lemur.

I know that post sounded absolutely naive, but let me defend myself a bit. I've already taken the MCAT and done quite well. I have finished undergrad am and have been working.

I am truely aware of how lucky I've been. Being born in the US gives me more oppurtunities than I could even imagine. In addition, my family background has given me the oppurtunity to apply to med school at all, a rediculously expensive process, which weeds out people based on socio-economic status, which is terrible. And I am very thankful for everything I am given, which is why I feel so guilty about feeling this way. Clearly, I don't WANT to feel this need to be the best. It's silly, but its something that I'm going through and I was just wondering if anyone else feels the way and how they delt with it.

Your education will be just about the same if you go to a 'lower tier' school vs. a top 10 school. Certain schools are ranked higher, but all US medical schools are basically on the same playing field. You will be responsible for most of your education anyway (it won't be spoonfed to you anymore), so it really doesn't matter where you go. You will be taking the same board exam as everyone else.

The sooner you realize this, the happier you will be.

And should you get into medical school, realize that there will be people there smarter than you. You're used to being at the top now, but half of all medical students are below 'average'. When you stop comparing yourself to others and just focus on your individual achievements, you'll go much further in life.

Just wait until you are below the mean on a med school exam. You might not make it out alive.
This, a thousand times over. Biggest wakeup call happens when your first test's average is an 89 and your second is at 87.

I know that post sounded absolutely naive, but let me defend myself a bit. I've already taken the MCAT and done quite well. I have finished undergrad am and have been working.

I am truely aware of how lucky I've been. Being born in the US gives me more oppurtunities than I could even imagine. In addition, my family background has given me the oppurtunity to apply to med school at all, a rediculously expensive process, which weeds out people based on socio-economic status, which is terrible. And I am very thankful for everything I am given, which is why I feel so guilty about feeling this way. Clearly, I don't WANT to feel this need to be the best. It's silly, but its something that I'm going through and I was just wondering if anyone else feels the way and how they delt with it.

Wow, everyone is so harsh about this right now.

Sierra, I've had this conversation with a few of my premed friends. You're not alone in thinking this way. I'm at the point where I've realized if I don't stop with the need to be the best I will never be happy. So, I've applied to schools based solely on where I think I will be the best fit and where makes the most sense financially, and paid no attention the the prestige (which is almost entirely based on research anyway). There isn't a magic way to deal with this, you just have to make a conscious decision to bow out from the "race" as Cole put it.

I have to hand it to you, Sierra. Not many "overachievers" make quite this many typos and spelling mistakes. Were you drinking away your sorrows before typing this up? Because really, you go to the best school you get into. It's not Harvard? Nobody cares. It's enough of a challenge to get into medical school, let alone a top school.

I think it's time you back up and examine your motivations. Why do you even want to be a doctor? Because it's hard to do? Because you want to help people? Because you had an experience as a child that made you want to be one? In the end, will going to a school that's not in the top ten make any difference when you consider why you're going in the first place?

And if that doesn't work, go talk to a few students who never got in. Maybe that'll help shift your world view a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
RX: One shot of liquor until feeling fades. Make sure to always finish your medicine.
Refills: unlimited

It's funny how people like to bash others so much. Yes, I am a terrible speller. I have been all my life. English is one of the things I have worked extremely hard to deal with. Still, I speak 3 languages fluently, so I guess that somewhat makes up for it. Thanks for that. And seeing as how I wrote that on a sat night, I indeed had been drinking, which clearly did not help things. however, seeing as how I am not writing a paper I need to turn into a professor, I assumed people wouldn't be scrutinizing my typing skills!

My achievements? Yes, a lot of people do get college degrees, true. But do 40% (which by the way i think is a bit high of an estimate) a lot of people get 710 VR and 800 Math on their SATs? No. Do most people who graduate get a 4.0 in a science heavy major at a top university? No. Do most people get a 40 on their MCAT? No. These are my stats. Obviously, I worked really hard to get here. I haven't yet gotten into med school, because I'm not applying until next year.

Thanks to mvenus, drbowtie, bbender, and bengarama, for not being super patronizing! I can bet that there are a lot more premeds that feel the same way who just wont come out and say it. I was looking for advice, not for people to make me feel like an idiot.

Last edited:

What will be even harder for you to swallow will be that your attending's and chief might come from a less prestigious pedigree than you do! Hahahah.. It'll be so humbling to find out that they have less debt and a more prestigious position. The 4.0/40 is quite impressive, and I hope that you have a personality to go with those scores (if not, you might have a humbling road ahead of you during your application cycle). 4.0/40 also doesn't mean that you will be AoA in medical school, but we'll leave that topic for another day. When a community college grad is beating you on each test in medical school, that will also be quite hard for you to swallow.

But seriously, all this top 10 medical school stuff is really funny. I just recently heard that unless you go to a top 10 school, when you get your diploma it has an asterisk by your award.

Example..

]Cornell University
awards
(Said overacheiver)
the Degree of
Medical Doctor*​

*This degree is solely to make the above said person feel better about his last four years. It does not provide "over achiever" with any of the rights and privileges of a medical doctor, nor should it be accepted for a real medical degree.

I think no matter what your stats (4.0 gpa/40MCAT/2000+ hours volunteering/shadowing/serving community/3 years research with 3 pubs) there's always a chance your just not a "right" fit for a particular school. For some people like me, from a family without much money and a financially poor state school, the top schools are more appealing because of the availability of scholarships and grants. However OP, it sounds like money is not an issue for you, so I wouldn't sweat the little stuff. Honestly, if my family had the money to pay for school, I wouldn't care much about where I go. When it's all over, it's about who you become and what you do, rather than the Degree on the wall.

I wonder what this infatuation with Harvard and other "name" schools are. I mean, the opportunities may be different at those schools but at the end of the day you learn the same ****. It really isn't about where you go but what you do wherever you are that's important. Personally, I blame TV for putting it in young kids' minds that only the best go to Harvard. Please, there's so many legacy and kids with political/star connections that it's almost a joke. Eventually, it's going to be "Harvard: only the rich and famous will be admitted and some handouts to the less fortunate so we can say we're diverse".

It's funny how people like to bash others so much. Yes, I am a terrible speller. I have been all my life. English is one of the things I have worked extremely hard to deal with. Still, I speak 3 languages fluently, so I guess that somewhat makes up for it. Thanks for that. And seeing as how I wrote that on a sat night, I indeed had been drinking, which clearly did not help things. however, seeing as how I am not writing a paper I need to turn into a professor, I assumed people wouldn't be scrutinizing my typing skills!

My achievements? Yes, a lot of people do get college degrees, true. But do 40% (which by the way i think is a bit high of an estimate) a lot of people get 710 VR and 800 Math on their SATs? No. Do most people who graduate get a 4.0 in a science heavy major at a top university? No. Do most people get a 40 on their MCAT? No. These are my stats. Obviously, I worked really hard to get here. I haven't yet gotten into med school, because I'm not applying until next year.

Thanks to mvenus, drbowtie, bbender, and bengarama, for not being super patronizing! I can bet that there are a lot more premeds that feel the same way who just wont come out and say it. I was looking for advice, not for people to make me feel like an idiot.

I was taking you seriously until you referenced your SAT scores. :laugh: really?

But honestly, I think people are getting really bitchy and defensive around here because they all feel the exact same way you do. I feel the way you do. The admissions process is arbitrary and brutal. I think you'll realize, though, once you start applying to medical schools the name of the school holds a lot less weight.

What's going to make you happier, going to a medical school in the US News top 10, or going to a medical school that is a great fit for you? A great school doesn't automatically confer a similar level of greatness onto all who matriculate there. An outstanding student from Rosalind Franklin/Drexel/University of [Insert State Here that isn't Cali or Michigan]/whatever has a better shot at competitive residencies than a so-so student from Harvard. If you matriculate at a school where you can find success, you're almost guaranteed to get an awesome residency.

I was taking you seriously until you referenced your SAT scores. :laugh: really?

But honestly, I think people are getting really bitchy and defensive around here because they all feel the exact same way you do. I feel the way you do. The admissions process is arbitrary and brutal. I think you'll realize, though, once you start applying to medical schools the name of the school holds a lot less weight.

What's going to make you happier, going to a medical school in the US News top 10, or going to a medical school that is a great fit for you? A great school doesn't automatically confer a similar level of greatness onto all who matriculate there. An outstanding student from Rosalind Franklin/Drexel/University of [Insert State Here that isn't Cali or Michigan]/whatever has a better shot at competitive residencies than a so-so student from Harvard. If you matriculate at a school where you can find success, you're almost guaranteed to get an awesome residency.

haha ok yeah i guess i went a bit far with the SAT... thanks for the good advice :) guess i just have to keep repeating that to myself and one day it will sink in?

Why is it so brutal? Is it hard to believe that there are other applicants that are as qualified/more qualified than yourself? Come on.. Lets take down the arrogance a bit and realize that there are a lot of very educated and qualified applicants to medical school. ADCOM's aren't picking names out of a hat, they have a reason for each acceptance that they grant.

haha why are people bashing the OP?

sierra123, i respect that you have that mentality to want to be the best. but dont let it consume you either. if you worked as hard as you say you did, it will definitely pay off. ultimately, its gonna be what you make out of the school you go to.

once schools screen past the numbers, I don't see how one person can be more qualified than another if medicine is truly what that person wants to do. it'll naturally show in the experiences. the only person you'll always be more qualified over is the person who is just BS'ing their application and really can't answer the "why medicine" question

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you make it into at top ten med school? You could very well. I don't think its so important, however, unless you have a very good reason why you want to attend a top 10.

The majority of the schools that interest me are top 10 and nearly all the schools I will be applying to are top 20, but my reasons for this have little to do with prestige. If you have a similar motivation for that set of schools then I don't see why you shouldn't set your sights on them and convince those schools that you are as good a fit as you think you are.

If its just to be "the best", well good luck. Where you end up won't be as consequential in that case, except to your ego.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: SAT scores???

FYI, people didn't make you feel like an idiot, you made yourself look like an idiot by coming on here to make a thread about how you feel entitled to go to a top ten med school. Then you multiplied it times one million by citing your SAT scores and your [most likely made up] stats.

i was taking you seriously until you referenced your sat scores. :laugh: Really?

but honestly, i think people are getting really bitchy and defensive around here because they all feel the exact same way you do. I feel the way you do. The admissions process is arbitrary and brutal. I think you'll realize, though, once you start applying to medical schools the name of the school holds a lot less weight.

What's going to make you happier, going to a medical school in the us news top 10, or going to a medical school that is a great fit for you? A great school doesn't automatically confer a similar level of greatness onto all who matriculate there. An outstanding student from rosalind franklin/drexel/university of [insert state here that isn't cali or michigan]/whatever has a better shot at competitive residencies than a so-so student from harvard. If you matriculate at a school where you can find success, you're almost guaranteed to get an awesome residency.

+1

whatever it's just like talking about your mcat after you get into med school. its still an achievement! frankly im proud of it and i was just trying to respond to challeneges to my academic background. why are people such haters here?? haha honestly maybe we should all take a trip back back to kindergarten where they teach us "if you dont have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." It seems like people have forgotten it!

Sierra - stop being neurotic. I know your type, you look hyperthyroid at first pass, shaking like a hairless chihuahua in a cold room with thoughts racing through your mind.

Ultimately you will do well and succeed in whatever you choose, but you'll never be relaxed and confident about it. Stop trying to overanalyze your situation and just work on you. Quit obsessing about everyone else.

I kind of want to throw a pie in your face.

Sierra - stop being neurotic. I know your type, you look hyperthyroid at first pass, shaking like a hairless chihuahua in a cold room with thoughts racing through your mind.

Ultimately you will do well and succeed in whatever you chose, but you'll never be relaxed and confident about it. Stop trying to overanalyze your situation and just work on you. Quit obsessing about everyone else.

^ This. Can I join as well?

Btw OP, I know exactly how you feel, im so stressed out that I haven't won the Nobel Prize yet, it keeps me up at night.

Ultimately you will do well and succeed in whatever you choose, but you'll never be relaxed and confident about it. Stop trying to overanalyze your situation and just work on you. Quit obsessing about everyone else.

haha. So true.

:laugh::thumbup:

I will agree with your advice...but come on you know youre a little jealous. ;) haha jkjk im not quiteeee as crazy as you may think... thats a nice vignette youve created, though.

I always wanted someone to throw a pie in my face... like that show on nickelodeon. those were the days.

I will agree with your advice...but come on you know youre a little jealous. ;) haha jkjk im not quiteeee as crazy as you may think... thats a nice vignette youve created, though.

I always wanted someone to throw a pie in my face... like that show on nickelodeon. those were the days.

Then you should come down to Georgetown. We have a tradition during M2 v M1 day that we get to throw pies at the professors. Last year I think we got our (not so beloved) biochem prof to get pied. Not to mention there'll be plenty of beers and the M1-M2 girls playing powderpuff football :thumbup:

I know it's not a "top 10" school but hey, at least you get a pie in the face.

Then you should come down to Georgetown. We have a tradition during M2 v M1 day that we get to throw pies at the professors. Last year I think we got our (not so beloved) biochem prof to get pied. Not to mention there'll be plenty of beers and the M1-M2 girls playing powderpuff football :thumbup:

I know it's not a "top 10" school but hey, at least you get a pie in the face.

tempting! too bad i wont be around... but you may have talked me into applying there!

Why is it so brutal? Is it hard to believe that there are other applicants that are as qualified/more qualified than yourself? Come on.. Lets take down the arrogance a bit and realize that there are a lot of very educated and qualified applicants to medical school. ADCOM's aren't picking names out of a hat, they have a reason for each acceptance that they grant.

Really? It's not ok to call the admissions process brutal? It is!

I'm not implying that I'm one of the extremely qualified applicants that is going to be tragically passed over for a spot at a top 10 school for no good reason. I'm just saying that there are people out there who will be rejected not because they're unqualified but because with ten identical interviewees for a given spot, the "reason" to pick one over another is often arbitrary.

Medical school interview:

"What are your weaknesses?"

Responses: "I try to hard/sometimes I care too much"

His answer would be more like...

"What weaknesses? Well, I made a 780 on my SAT once.. "

Fools, I am the only perfect being around here.

gEaCm.jpg

If those are your real stats, nice! I wouldn't worry too much unless the rest of your app is lacking...then you'll have plenty to worry about since you won't stand out.

I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said about consciously choosing to be less neurotic and all schools being basically equal. That's all true.

You may be surprised, though, and not get in on the first shot, especially if you continue believing that you *have* to go to some big-name place. Time and time again, we have seen that it isn't just a numbers game. High stats people get rejected from Harvard all. the. time. If that happens (having to reapply), you will realize it DOESN'T MATTER where you go. The fact is that you will never be a doctor if you never get into med school. Period. Will you be a doctor if you get into the University of Nowhere as opposed to Yale? Yep.

GL to you, but please, apply BROADLY. That is really the key.

Yes, the application process is a little bit of a crapshoot. The point of working hard is to load the dice a little.