overcoming the obstacles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it anticipated that optometry will overcome the rising "oversupply" of optometrists and depletion of solo private practice? If so, how?

Also, do optometrists face the same insurance reimbursement issues that are currently being battled by physical therapists (i.e. Medicare limitations)? I think vision care is separate from medical care from what I've read (which is dumb IMO if that's the right information), so that could negate what I have just said. However, if vision care is a separate entity, does anyone foresee it being incorporated into medical coverage rather than being its own policy?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it anticipated that optometry will overcome the rising "oversupply" of optometrists and depletion of solo private practice? If so, how?

Also, do optometrists face the same insurance reimbursement issues that are currently being battled by physical therapists (i.e. Medicare limitations)? I think vision care is separate from medical care from what I've read (which is dumb IMO if that's the right information), so that could negate what I have just said. However, if vision care is a separate entity, does anyone foresee it being incorporated into medical coverage rather than being its own policy?

ODs are classified as physicians under Medicare. A routine exam can't be billed, but most of these patients can be billed medically. They do not cover the refraction. ODs are similar to OMDs in medicare billing.

Its the other private insurances that become a problem in some areas.

ODs are classified as physicians under Medicare. A routine exam can't be billed, but most of these patients can be billed medically. They do not cover the refraction. ODs are similar to OMDs in medicare billing.

Its the other private insurances that become a problem in some areas.

My area is northern NJ. What's the stance around here like?

Answer assuming the economy isn't a complete and utter disaster in the next 5 years when I get out of school :( lol

Members don't see this ad :)
seeing how Im taking a test on this stuff tomorrow. here's my put (for the part about the leveling of oversupply anyway);

We do have an oversupply of optometrists and will do so until ~2030, this is mainly due to the small amount of doctors retiring and about 2x that entering the field. however, there are ways to deal with this over supply until it levels off. One is to provide care for the uninsured, to move to a new location where there is a need for optometrists, and to meet the needs for mentally and physically challenged, or just follow where the old people go (age 65+ will double in next 30 years) just to name a few. Also, over 50 percent of the reasons why patients go to an eyedoctor is to get an annual eye exam, and this creases year after year because of the awareness of the effectiveness of preventative medicine. Over 70% of combined group and solo practice makes up the optometric market. so, don't worry, optometry will be just fine, and some more.

seeing how Im taking a test on this stuff tomorrow. here's my put (for the part about the leveling of oversupply anyway);

We do have an oversupply of optometrists and will do so until ~2030, this is mainly due to the small amount of doctors retiring and about 2x that entering the field. however, there are ways to deal with this over supply until it levels off. One is to provide care for the uninsured, to move to a new location where there is a need for optometrists, and to meet the needs for mentally and physically challenged, or just follow where the old people go (age 65+ will double in next 30 years) just to name a few. Also, over 50 percent of the reasons why patients go to an eyedoctor is to get an annual eye exam, and this creases year after year because of the awareness of the effectiveness of preventative medicine. Over 70% of combined group and solo practice makes up the optometric market. so, don't worry, optometry will be just fine, and some more.

until 2030 is pretty extreme!

If every tom, dick, and harry keeps opening an OD school we are screwed for good.

I keep hearing that. I'm in the northern NJ area, so I would work here or somewhere nearby in NY. Where is the need for optometrists?

I keep hearing that. I'm in the northern NJ area, so I would work here or somewhere nearby in NY. Where is the need for optometrists?

The planet mars ?

The planet mars ?

lol thanks. I just spoke with an Optometrist today who works out of Clifton, NJ (northern NJ) and he said that he has guys calling him every day looking for a new Optometrist. He said the absolute least of my worries coming out of school would be finding a job.

lol thanks. I just spoke with an Optometrist today who works out of Clifton, NJ (northern NJ) and he said that he has guys calling him every day looking for a new Optometrist. He said the absolute least of my worries coming out of school would be finding a job.

I have said dozens of times both on this and other forums that finding a "job" in optometry is incredibly easy.

But finding a career....that is to say a professional opportunity that may lead to a partnership or an ownership stake is much much MUUUCH more difficult. Considering that it is THIS that 99% of people entering OD school fantasize about, it's something that needs to be considered when applying to schools.

WHat do you want when you graduate? A "job?" If that's the case, no problem. If you want a "career..." much tougher sledding there.

I have said dozens of times both on this and other forums that finding a "job" in optometry is incredibly easy.

But finding a career....that is to say a professional opportunity that may lead to a partnership or an ownership stake is much much MUUUCH more difficult. Considering that it is THIS that 99% of people entering OD school fantasize about, it's something that needs to be considered when applying to schools.

WHat do you want when you graduate? A "job?" If that's the case, no problem. If you want a "career..." much tougher sledding there.

Agreed. THere are tons of "jobs" out there. The problem is that a lot of them aren't worth while for one reason or another.

Plenty of blue coat jobs (wally) and other horrible-for-optometry commercial jobs.

VERY few decent private practice opportunities.

Ahh. Well this is all making much more sense now. So what regions of the country have the best/worst opportunities for private practice, even if it's partnership or small group?

Plenty of blue coat jobs (wally) and other horrible-for-optometry commercial jobs.

VERY few decent private practice opportunities.

What do you mean by few DECENT pp opportunities?