Overnight differential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who works the overnight shift here (hospital staff pharmacist, retail can reply too though), what is your % differential/bonus for working the overnight shift. Over here it's only 10%. Of the 4 overnighters they hired at my hospital including me recently, 2 are already gone. (One was fired, other was able to scramble into a residency).

Apparently they are having a tough time filling the position.

Members don't see this ad.

10% at hospital, flat 5 dollars for retail.

Flat rate floating somewhere around $5, not sure because I don't work overnight. It stacks with the weekend differential at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
12.5% increase based on my starting rate, or a yearly bonus of $12,000 per year. Another plus in this situation of working on a 7 on/7 off schedule for me is that if I pick up extra shifts during my off week (day/evening shifts), I still get paid my nightshift rate. I like it. :)

$2.50/hour extra on the weekdays and double time and a half on the weekend.

Wow looks like you guys are making bank. I get $2.15/hr and 5% bonus/yr. It's a union hospital so there's job security and usually a decent raise every 2-3 years. I love the seven on, seven off schedule, for now. Will probably do it for like another 2-3 years max.

10% overnight (or evening shift), I believe 20% or so on weekends...wish it were time and a half.

$8 an hour for overnight - $6.75 for second shift. But overnight also works 70 gets paid for 80 - so that effectively ads about 12%

I work 70 hrs but get paid for 80 hrs. I get no pay differential or bonus. Are there any others like me. Am I an outlier?

Maybe specify if you are referring to hospital or retail. Mine is hospital. "I work 70 hrs but get paid for 80 hrs. I get no pay differential or bonus. Are there any others like me. Am I an outlier?"

I've seen as high as $7, as low as $2. Keep in mind that a lot of places do 7 on 7 off with 10 hr 3rd shifts, so getting paid 80 hers for 70 hr work is often in itself a bonus.

Edit: didn't see the post above me, which is right. Although the best I've seen was the 1000+ med Methodist hospital I interned at during school. They did 7-on-7 off with 3rd shift. New pharmacists were getting high $40s back then, AND they had $7/hr shift differential from 6PM to 6AM AND another $7/hr differential for working weekends... Grant I don't know if there are changes after 2010 when I graduated. Heck during 2007-2008, they were posting $400(?) bonus for every 40 hrs extra a pharmacist picked up. Meanwhile I was an intern getting paid just under $13/hr with $2/hr evening differential + another $2/hr for weekends. Man was I stoked about graduating back then. Looking back, I have to smile.

Last edited:
$5 weekdays , $8 weekends. This is a 7on/7off hospital position. We too have had a hard time keeping the week I am off staffed. I think night shift pharmacists in hospitals are the rare few that can still negotiate a good salary and maybe even get a sign on bonus. I know i did!