Overweight Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docin05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any overweight pre-M.D. students that are currently applying or going into MS1 have any methods for the best way to lose weight before or durring medical school? We have to set good examples for our patients so I am wondering if I can fit regular exercise into medical school and also not gain weight because of stress.

Members don't see this ad.

Docin05 said:
Any overweight pre-M.D. students that are currently applying or going into MS1 have any methods for the best way to lose weight before or durring medical school? We have to set good examples for our patients so I am wondering if I can fit regular exercise into medical school and also not gain weight because of stress.

get of the computer and start running..........

Dupe thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Docin05 said:

Eat the same stuff you always do but only eat 70% of what you normally eat. Check out the new AHA book "The No-Fad Diet". Also, get some cardiovascular exercise in at least 3 times a week for 20 - 30 minutes each time. If your school has a gym, use it. If not and you can afford it, get a gym membership.

exersize (sp?), not dieting, is most important.

swim for 1 hour every other day (not carefree relaxing type swimming, im talking HARDCORE FREESTYLE). you will lose weight the fastest (running takes longer, at least for me) and you will avoid damaging your knees.

forget dieting, just DO NOT EAT when you are not hungry. (ie snacking & studying/watching TV) eat only if you are hungry, regardless of the time of day. Avoid sweets, you will soon stop craving for them.

redclover said:

swim for 1 hour every other day (not carefree relaxing type swimming, im talking HARDCORE FREESTYLE). you will lose weight the fastest (running takes longer, at least for me) and you will avoid damaging your knees.

forget dieting, just DO NOT EAT when you are not hungry. (ie snacking & studying/watching TV) eat only if you are hungry, regardless of the time of day. Avoid sweets, you will soon stop craving for them.

I agree with the first part about swimming. But the second part....

"DO NOT EAT" what are you talking about?

Listen, you need to eat. Try breaking your meals down in to 6 smaller portions a day instead of 3 big portions. Doing this will give your body more time to metabolize the smaller amounts of food you are putting into it as opposed to the larger portions 3 times daily. With the food spread out throughout the day this will also give you more energy, as energy in (food) = energy out.

Also, watch what you eat. Many people dont realize how many calories they intake on a daily basis. Now, im not saying to be so anal as to count every calorie, but If you want to slim down you're gonna have to watch your diet. You can work out a ton, but if the food you eat consists mainly of Fats and Oils you wont get the results you want.

good luck

chan said:
"DO NOT EAT" what are you talking about?

Read the entire sentence and you'll see that it's good advice.

UCLAstudent said:
Read the entire sentence and you'll see that it's good advice.

LOL! "Avoid dieting, just DO NOT EAT." yeah that would have been great advice there :laugh:

Cardio! Mix it up though -- don't just run everyday. Swim one day, run the next, do the elliptical thing the next. Also do some resistance training. Don't eat late at night, eat a good, complete breakfast, and take vitamins. Get a good amount of sleep and keep very well hydrated. I think that a good breakfast, lots of water, cardio, and sleep are the best ways to stay in shape/healthy.

jon stewart said:
get of the computer and start running..........

How about strapping your computer to your back and running....

Seriously though remember this inequality:

INPUT<OUTPUT

You lose weight either dieting or by exercising. BUT DIETING ALMOST NEVER KEEPS THE POUNDS OFF because you're starving yourself. Don't "diet" just stop eating crap like refined sugar, crappy snack foods and fried stuff. That right there oughtta help out. Yes your morning ritual a DunkinDonut's BIG ONE 24 oz. coffee with triple cream and triple sugar counts as a meal or two for the average person even though you're not "eating breakfast" you're still taking in about 1500 calories. Same thing with your orange mocha frapachino from Starsucks...it isnt helping. Starving children in Africa and Asia get less caloric intake every day than what you just chugged on your way to class.

Change what you're eating...have a vegtable or peice of fruit or something for goodness sake and dont eat til you feel like you're going to pass out like you did the other night at the Super China Buffet. Please, just put down the fried twinky dipped in chocolate and have a friggin carrot. I've been laid up for a year and a half with a bum knee from a half marathon (yes i was a skinny distance runner) and just based on what I eat I've kept my weight within 5 pounds of what it was when I ran the race.

Try getting off your keister and exercizing during your lunch break by going for a brisk walk, because that's a good way to start without hurting yourself...my dad lost about 20 pounds that way (from about 225 to 205) over the past 2 years and now he's down to a healthy 185 after joining a gym. As far as fitting in exercize during med school: You're only in class for 8-12 hours a day leaving 12-16 other hours of time to do stuff like study and sleep and work out and eat. And you dont have to spend 5 hours every day working out hard core. Go for a quick jog in the morning (30 mins) before a shower and then go for a power-walk during lunch (15 minutes) and a quick jog as a study break (~30 mins) and you've just exercized for an hour and 15 minutes.

Now if you leave the donuts for those in the under-weight post everyone will be happy. If you'd seriously like some help with this matter though, in all honesty PM me and I'll direct you to some decent resources to help out.

why eat at all when u got photosynthesis :laugh: :laugh:

No Saturated fats or simple sugars. For me it is O.k. to go out and drink a bunch of beer b/c those are empty calories - just don't go home and hit off dominos or else you'll be sporting a front porch by end of 1st semester

I honestly couldn't care less about losing WEIGHT...All I care about is body composition. As a matter of fact, I now weigh 18lbs more than I did at this time last year, but have a much better bodyfat %. In almost all cases, WEIGHT doesn't matter nearly as much as body composition. It is SOOOOO hard to make people understand that.

Healthy Diet + Resistance training + cardio = Better body composition

Members don't see this ad :)
you should do 30 min cardio- i run on an elliptical to spare my knees
then I also do 20 min pilates.

work out atleast 4x/week

start counting your calories, don't starve yourself though. i'm a small girl, so I aim for 1000-1200/day (i prob underestimate though- its hard to count cals!)

when you go to the store, don't buy crap like cookies if you tend to binge when you're stressed. keep your apt/house junk free.

keep lots of veggies and fruits around in case you need stress snacking.

don't get fast food for any meal- watch "supersize me" to freak yourself out. start cooking.

don't eat after 6pm-7pm.

i lost 17lbs this school year because i did all of the above. yay me!

*also i learned in my exercise physiology unit that having caffeine 1 hr prior to your workout increases the efficiency of your workout. i haven't tried this yet though.

oblivious said:
I honestly couldn't care less about losing WEIGHT...All I care about is body composition. As a matter of fact, I now weigh 18lbs more than I did at this time last year, but have a much better bodyfat %. In almost all cases, WEIGHT doesn't matter nearly as much as body composition. It is SOOOOO hard to make people understand that.

Healthy Diet + Resistance training + cardio = Better body composition

Totally agree with you -- to be in great shape or to lose weight you really must do ALL THREE parts of the pyramid -- weight training, cardio and eating right. You can't lump cardio and lifting into the same category as exercise and do just one or the other. Just doing cardio (such as running, eliptical, spinning, aerobics, bike or swimming) burns calories while you are doing it, but you can always overtake the caloric benefit of that kind of workout with a single modest trip to McDonalds, so you must also do weight work to increase muscle mass and have continued caloric need even when you are done with the workout. (i.e. the more muscle you put on, the more calories you burn even while at rest). And per the poster who suggested 20 minutes, 3 times a week, that is a good start (especially if you are injured or in really bad shape), but really won't get most people where they want to go. Current government health guidelines for exercise tend to recommend closer to 45 minutes of some form of exercise daily.
I also agree with the above poster's statement that it isn't the weight, but the body composition. But I offer the caveat that it's almost impossible to gain muscle mass without gaining accompanying fat. The usual way people work this is to have bulk up phases, where they increase lifting activity and eat a ton (putting on both fat and muscle mass) for 6-10 weeks, and follow this with a lean out phase, where cardio and dieting are emphasized (to pare down the fat and only leave the muscle) for the following 6-10 weeks.

I'm sure I'm just repeating the above advice, this is what I do when I gain:

So I replace all my drinks with water and lime (except for coffee in the morning:oops:) I eat the same, but avoid high fat munchies and replace w/ fruit.
I run every day two miles
To get myself inspired and motivated to exercise I clean, clean, clean. Leave the mop and do it by hand - your floors are spotless, your back and arms have gotten their excersise. If you hate cleaning, all the better you'll want to run.
Clean your regrigerator out. Clean your cupboards. That always gets me going, I find more things to occupy my time with. Because if I sit and study/type, I will much.

In the end my apartment is spotless and you by end of the month I crave running. :)

krasnayana said:
I'm sure I'm just repeating the above advice, this is what I do when I gain:

So I replace all my drinks with water and lime (except for coffee in the morning:oops:) I eat the same, but avoid high fat munchies and replace w/ fruit.
I run every day two miles
To get myself inspired and motivated to exercise I clean, clean, clean. Leave the mop and do it by hand - your floors are spotless, your back and arms have gotten their excersise. If you hate cleaning, all the better you'll want to run.
Clean your regrigerator out. Clean your cupboards. That always gets me going, I find more things to occupy my time with. Because if I sit and study/type, I will much.

In the end my apartment is spotless and you by end of the month I crave running. :)
That's so 'Karate Kid' -- "wax on, wax off". :)

Dr.ImCute said:

work out atleast 4x/week

start counting your calories, don't starve yourself though. i'm a small girl, so I aim for 1000-1200/day (i prob underestimate though- its hard to count cals!)

when you go to the store, don't buy crap like cookies if you tend to binge when you're stressed. keep your apt/house junk free.

keep lots of veggies and fruits around in case you need stress snacking.

don't get fast food for any meal- watch "supersize me" to freak yourself out. start cooking.

don't eat after 6pm-7pm.

i lost 17lbs this school year because i did all of the above. yay me!

*also i learned in my exercise physiology unit that having caffeine 1 hr prior to your workout increases the efficiency of your workout. i haven't tried this yet though.

Caffeine can also incr your cortisol level, which leads to increased [blood gluc] which will lead to weight gain.

I remember reading that caffeine was good in men's fitness a while back. But my exeercise physiology teacher (go DR. GIBSON) told us that is not good advice.

riceman04 said:
Caffeine can also incr your cortisol level, which leads to increased [blood gluc] which will lead to weight gain.

I remember reading that caffeine was good in men's fitness a while back. But my exeercise physiology teacher (go DR. GIBSON) told us that is not good advice.

Most published diets, especially Atkins, tell you to stay off caffeine, as it plays with your insullin levels and sometimes causes you to gain weight. However it is also a diuretic (or antidiuretic -- I forget which) and causes you to lose a lot of water weight, so it is a trade off. Based on all the books and fitness magazines I've seen, virtually all competitive weight lifters and body builders ingest caffeine in some form before morning workouts, though -- so it probably doesn't have a huge impact if you are doing everything else (diet & exercise) right.

riceman04 said:

Actually, cortisol has an anti-insulin effect, and it is an excess of insulin (not blood glucose) that causes weight gain. Caffeine also speeds the metabolism. It does not cause weight gain, but shouldn't be relied upon for weight loss, either.

Ambs said:
Cardio! Mix it up though -- don't just run everyday. Swim one day, run the next, do the elliptical thing the next. Also do some resistance training. Don't eat late at night, eat a good, complete breakfast, and take vitamins. Get a good amount of sleep and keep very well hydrated. I think that a good breakfast, lots of water, cardio, and sleep are the best ways to stay in shape/healthy.

I need to take the mix it up advice. I know My running shoes would last a lot longer if I did. Where is a good/cheap place to swim?

redclover said:
Not true. Whether or not you're gaining muscle or losing fat, your diet is going to have a much bigger effect on your end results than your workout routine.

Cardio is also less effective than weightlifting if you want to burn fat. Cardio is good for your heart though.

Dr.ImCute said:

work out atleast 4x/week

Everybody's advice is really good. One comment about the above: that's not enough calories for any adult who is also exercising. You should probably be getting between 1500-2000 (since you say you are a small woman). Yeah, you might lose weight more quickly with fewer calories, but it's just not healthy in the long run.

I'm not really overweight...well, a a bit since I cut down on running before the MCAT and didn't pick back up. One of the hardest things for me is the junk people bring to work. I worked 14 hours yesterday and a colleague brought donuts; I ended up eating 3 :eek: And there is candy sitting in the office, etc. One thing that helps is bringing a big enough lunch and including a snack for mid-afternoon when the munchies hit.

I've also tried to cut out diet soda since soda is so bad for your bones. And I haven't had caffeine for a few days, but that one is hard too (I'm not horribly addicted, but I could use my boost in the afternoon).

edit: I forgot to mention that I just read that eating at night does NOT cause you to gain more weight than eating at any other time. I also thought that until I read this. I think it was in the New York Times but it could have been somewhere else. Anyway, the doctor was saying that some people don't eat much the whole day and then eat the first thing they see at night (usually junk), so that could cause them to gain weight, but studies in both animals and people show that equivalent calories at any time of day are equivalent and don't result in more or less weight gain. Just thought that was interesting :)

I'm an exercise physiology major, so her is some advice.

To put it simply, you will lose 1 pound of fat for every 3500 calories. So, if you are at a steady weight now, if you it out of your diet or comes from exercise it doesn't matter. If you are going to a gym, you will "burn" more calories from cardio than resistance training. Although it is best to include both aspects. It doesn't matter how long or hard you work out, however if you work out at a really low intensity then you have to go longer to get use the same amount of calories as if you worked harder in a shorter amount of time.

An average person can only lose about 2 pounds a week without losing muscle mass and water. If you have a quick, large weight loss, it is mostly water (like the first week of the Atkins diet).

You can go to any gym (our schools does it for free) and have your body fat measured by skinfolds. Some will also do exercise tests too.

Caffiene is useful as a performance enhancement in endurance events. It increases blood free fatty acid levels so your body uses fats quicker and saves the muscle glycogen so you would "have some left" at the end of a race....this doesn't mean you will lose more weight though. Some people think that caffiene affects your muscle fiber itself too, so maybe that is why the weightlifters used it.

I joined kickboxing... my hubby lost 30 pounds in a year by going 3 times a week and ate a flippin' TON of food every day.

Coming from someone who lost 40 pounds in about 3.5 months back in the summer before junior year of High School, I'll tell you what I did(and it works to this day if I ever go on vacation and put on 2-3 extra pounds from laziness :)). I also started at about 185 and worked my way down to 145, and have remained at a steady 150 for about 5 years now(and started martial arts and turned my life around :)).

This is high school, so I had pretty much free summers, but you can always use an abbreviated version of this schedule for yourself. Starting at 185, and starting on June 1st -- I knew that being a male, it takes about 2500-2600 calories for me just to maintain my weight. I cut that down to 1800-2000 calories a day by doing the following:

Breakfast: Oatmeal in milk, Banana, Water

Lunch: Turkey Sandwich(cannibalism!), Cheese(string cheese, slice of cheese, block of cheese cut from a one of those huge hunks -- I need my cheese), Banana, and water.
Dinner: Whatever was served, but I never ate anything exceeding 500 calories. Anything you want, you can eat here up to that 500 calorie limit. Ah, and Water.

Before I slept(after my last workout): Whey protein in milk

As you can see, dairy was a huge part of my diet, and I'm a firm believer in its metabolism kicking activities. Never once did I feel hungry with this diet and it always evened out to ~2000 calories.

For the workout part:
Walk 3 times a day, 30 minutes. That's about it...my mp3 player is my best friend here. Just keep rotating new music/entire new albums onto it and you won't even realize how fast your walk goes by. The reason I walked 3 times a day was that I wanted to burn 600 calories a day, and each 30 minute walk session burned about 200-230 calories.

So with my intial calorie deficit from eating right, I was cutting out 500-600 calories, and on top of that I was losing about 600 calories from walking. That's about 1200 calories a day, which in 3 days would mean I lose 1 pound of fat(1 pound = 3500 calories). I lost about 2.5 pounds a week, and every 28 days(man, I have this HUGE journal of those 4+ months, all 130 days) I would drop 10-12 pounds. I dropped more because I took every opportunity I could to substitute some full court basketball for a single walk. And did you know for a 170 pound person, a 60 minute full court basketball game burns close to 700+ calories? It's pretty insane...

Hehe yeah...so basically in 112 days, I had dropped about 35-38 pounds. I settled about 3-4 pounds higher than that in the end though, and I've stayed there ever since.

If you simply abbreviate this schedule and take two walks a day(morning and night) you won't be very much behind either. Probably end up losing 8-10 pounds every 28 days(very good rate).

Ah yes, and why did I drink that whey shake right before I slept? Well, sleep stacks(or things body builders eat before they sleep) are for the purpose of increasing the effectiveness of sleep. They do crazy things like take a Zinc/Mg complex about 2 hours before they sleep, then eat oatmeal and cottage cheese because cottage cheese contains the slow-absorbing protein casein, which will "repair" you all night as you sleep. I take whey with milk(and not with water) before I sleep because it makes the whey absorb slower, throughout the night. I'm a firm believer that if you eat the right thing before you sleep, no harm will come of it.

Good luck in all your fat-dropping endeavors, just my 2 cents :D

edit: Btw, this walk-plan also increases your endurance dramatically without you getting sore. I did it every sincle day as well -- just fight through it if you feel the slightest bit sore. Did you know orangutans (or chimps, I can't remember) walk four miles a day and they're not even made to walk :O. We humans should at least do a bit more (each 30 minute session was 2 miles, so in the end I aimed to do 6 miles of "travelling" a day).

doublepeak said:
I'm an exercise physiology major, so her is some advice.

To put it simply, you will lose 1 pound of fat for every 3500 calories. So, if you are at a steady weight now, if you it out of your diet or comes from exercise it doesn't matter. If you are going to a gym, you will "burn" more calories from cardio than resistance training. Although it is best to include both aspects. It doesn't matter how long or hard you work out, however if you work out at a really low intensity then you have to go longer to get use the same amount of calories as if you worked harder in a shorter amount of time.

An average person can only lose about 2 pounds a week without losing muscle mass and water. If you have a quick, large weight loss, it is mostly water (like the first week of the Atkins diet).

You can go to any gym (our schools does it for free) and have your body fat measured by skinfolds. Some will also do exercise tests too.

Caffiene is useful as a performance enhancement in endurance events. It increases blood free fatty acid levels so your body uses fats quicker and saves the muscle glycogen so you would "have some left" at the end of a race....this doesn't mean you will lose more weight though. Some people think that caffiene affects your muscle fiber itself too, so maybe that is why the weightlifters used it.

There's a bit too much generalization in this above post, but it's generally valid. I would temper it as follows: Saying you lose more calories from cardio than weights only tells half the story -- as any increased muscle mass you are able to put on from lifting will have greater caloric need "forever" (while moving or at rest, as long as the mass remains) while cardio is just a one shot deal. Weightlifting also does more to increase your metabolism (due again to the increased caloric demands of your muscles), allowing you to eat more with less detriment. So you really truly NEED to do both forms of exercise to be in great shape -- although if you want to look thin or gaunt (not most people's ideal), heavy cardio, and eating fewer calories than your body needs is a viable quick path. It's also always a mistake to talk about the "average person" without differentiating men versus women - they have very different body fat percentages, and (most) women are simply genetically incapable of putting on the same kind of muscle mass as men without some form of hormone supplementation (not advisable).
Also there is no one on the planet who is exactly "average". A person's body frame, current muscle mass % etc. will have huge impact on how much they can lose given a specific caloric intake. The right safe way to lose weight is probably to get your exercise routine down, then back off the calories in small steps until you find a point where you are losing about a pound a week, and keep your intake at around that level (adjusting it now and then to account for the fact that your metabolism will change as your body fat % changes.). Another (very unscientific) trick I and other people sometimes use is to honestly figure out your ideal weight, multiply by 10 -- and for a lot of people that is the bare minimum level of calories you can go down to safely when dieting with moderate exercise. For instance if your ideal weight is 175, you ought to be able to lose weight eating 1750 calories, if exercising moderately. But if you up the exercise, you probably should up the calories accordingly. Now back to the gym!

Do you guys think that some people just have an easier time losing weight done others? I know that people who are significantly overweight lose weight faster than people who are just trying to drop 5-10 lbs to look a little better but what of this theory that every individual has a certain weight that they're supposed to be, and it's really hard to lose weight beyond that?

The only time I've ever truly *lost* weight was the summer between 7th and 8th grade where I didn't touch any junk food or juice and literally was on the exercise bike from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. Granted, this was 10 years ago and I wasn't even old enough to have a job so I had nothing better to do. I ran cross-country and track in high school, worked out moderately in college and now I run at least 3-5 miles a day, plus walk an extra hour (I have a dog which means I have to be out at least twice a day anyway) and I've never really noticed that same kind of weight loss.

I don't consider myself overweight and am not specifically trying to lose weight but I wonder if, once I hit med school and don't have time for this much exercise, that I'm just going to balloon up?

Anyway, for those who are looking for advice, I'd say try to work out first thing in the morning. I'm usually out and running by 6:30am. I know it sounds insane but if I lounge around then I just dread it and get lazier and lazier about doing it. And I have so much more energy the rest of the day.

On another note, does anybody have any advice for getting rid of pesky blubber around the middle? I have been doing sit-ups for years, to no avail. Are there certain types of food to avoid? Will I never have hot abs? I don't even drink (that often)!

On another note, does anybody have any advice for getting rid of pesky blubber around the middle? I have been doing sit-ups for years, to no avail. Are there certain types of food to avoid? Will I never have hot abs? I don't even drink (that often)!
Try pilates. It isolates certain muscle groups and really works to slim and tone without bulk. I know a world class athlete who tried pilates and was absolutely shocked at how sore he was the next day... said he found muscles he didn't know existed.

redruby said:

Everyone has hot abs hidden under their fat. You can do a zillion sit ups and double the size of those muscles, but unless you eliminate a big percentage of body fat, you will never see them. And you cannot "spot reduce" fat -- meaning that you can't get less fat on your waist by doing sit ups/crunches, or less fat on your arms by working out your arms -- that is a myth. Anyone who says you get a six pack solely by working out your abs is lying. You can increase muscle in these places for sure, but to actually remove the effects of the fat, and remove the lumpy layer obscuring your muscle, you need to take a whole body approach -- lose fat everywhere and eventually the body will also burn off fat reserves in the desired place (it stores fat in various places, and is reluctant to give it up). So bottom line is you need to do diet and exercise (a mix of cardio and weights) and lose a decent amount of weight, to see your abs -- sit ups will not get you there. Those abdominal machines you see on TV are a myth, and sit-ups and crunches, while great core work (and a nice part of any workout), will not give you visible abs -- a serious diet will.

redclover said:
as a chick who's been around the weight loss circuit forever, i've gotta say i disagree with this. exercise will only get you so far -- it's what you're eating that will take you all the way to thinness. in an hour of exercise, you might burn maybe 300 calories. drink one 20 ounce regular soda, and you've already blown that whole hour. you've got to, got to control your calories to lose weight. not to knock exercise or anything because you've got to do that, too, but if your diet is horrible, you won't get results from exercise alone.

so, to the op, try to work out for at least 30 minutes a day. go for 30 minutes when you're really short on time and an hour when you have more time. do a mixture of cardiovascular work and weight training and be sure to do something enjoyable, so you'll stick with it. also, walk or ride your bike as many places as possible and take the stairs instead of the elevator. little things like that can add up. as for eating, join www.fitday.com -- it's free and pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. track your calories and see where you're eating or drinking too much. some general basics are to avoid any liquid calories -- if you drink regular soda, you'd be amazed at how many of your calories are coming from that. also, french fries are about the most caloric thing out there, so limit that, and if you're a traditional college student, watch the beer.

I think it is definetly important to be somewhat fit when interviewing for medical school. FYI: Statistics show that people who are skinnier and more attractive have more chances of getting a job than an equally competetive obese applicant.... maybe its somewhat like that for medical school???

Another important thing to remember is that not all calories are created equal. Yes, all calories equate to the same amount of chemical energy (by definition, obviously) and all "food" calories are actually 1 kcal or 1 Calorie, but as you all well know from your biochem pathways the types of tissues/chemicals that proteins are able to be converted to are far different than those that glucose or complex carbohydrates are.

Given the diet of an "average" American, to lose weight one should drop the percentage of their intake that comes from sugars and starches, increase protein percentage, and cut the maximum caloric intake across the board. Remember the old food pyramid? Yeah, screw that idea. It sucks. Instead, go for lean meats (I'm partial to tuna & turkey breast - don't forget the BEANS) and vegetables. We're talking all types of romaine, squash, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, peas, jicama, celery, ginger, peppers. . . To anyone that says veggies are boring, I say you're not trying hard enough.

Walk more. Americans don't walk nearly as much as they should - why do you think French people stay so skinny when all their food starts with a stick of butter? (Well. . . walking and cigarettes. . . )

Other tips:
Fidget. Fidgetting burns calories.
Cold showers/less clothing/fans. The lower your body temperature, the faster your metabolism goes; it takes energy to keep warm.
Chew ice. Drink your water ice cold. Same principle.
Dressing on the SIDE.
Avoid fast food at all costs.
PORTION CONTROL - actually measure your food. You'd be surprised how small a serving of cereal actually is when you're used to having a full soup bowl of the stuff.
Snack on lo-cal food or "negative calorie" foods. I'm not going to get into the debate on whether "negative calorie" foods exist or not (i.e. they contain so little caloric value and such high fiber content that they require more energy to digest than they provide via nutrition) but here're some common ones that fill you up but not out: celery, lettuce, spinach, jicama, apples, grapefruit, lemons, limes, ginger.
Put hot sauce on EVERYTHING. Capsaicin (the chemical that makes you "taste" heat, common to all peppers) boosts endorphin production (like sex!) and gives you a temporary energy boost. It also kicks up the metabolism.
Don't decrease your caloric intake by more than 30% in one go. Kills the metabolism.
Another metabolism killer: self-induced vomiting. Sorry, bulimia.
Dairy. Dairy helps. Just don't reach for the cheese when you could have a glass of skim milk. 8 oz only per serving, please.
Lay off the coffee. Drink green tea instead. Avoid "dieters" tea - you'll only get the runs.
Chew gum. Sugar-free if possible.
Always leave some food on your plate uneaten. It adds up.
If you don't like to exercise: clean the house, go out dancing, get a dog, sell your car, get a job where you have to be on your feet all day.
Study munchies? Study somewhere where you have to pay for everything you want to consume and bring a pack of gum with you. Buy a tea, chew the gum.

I'm sure I have more. . . . but this should give ANYONE a good start.

Oh yeah - and lay off the booze.
Think about it. . . . calorimeters are used by seeing how much energy is released when you light something on fire.
What happens when you light booze on fire?

Yeah.

Not to mention all the other crap in beer or fruity drink mixers. . . Wanna lose weight? Stop it with the damn Smirnoff Ice!

Stretch. You'll look leaner, even if you don't ACTUALLY lose poundage.

Law2Doc said:
Everyone has hot abs hidden under their fat. You can do a zillion sit ups and double the size of those muscles, but unless you eliminate a big percentage of body fat, you will never see them. And you cannot "spot reduce" fat -- meaning that you can't get less fat on your waist by doing sit ups/crunches, or less fat on your arms by working out your arms -- that is a myth. Anyone who says you get a six pack solely by working out your abs is lying. You can increase muscle in these places for sure, but to actually remove the effects of the fat, and remove the lumpy layer obscuring your muscle, you need to take a whole body approach -- lose fat everywhere and eventually the body will also burn off fat reserves in the desired place (it stores fat in various places, and is reluctant to give it up). So bottom line is you need to do diet and exercise (a mix of cardio and weights) and lose a decent amount of weight, to see your abs -- sit ups will not get you there. Those abdominal machines you see on TV are a myth, and sit-ups and crunches, while great core work (and a nice part of any workout), will not give you visible abs -- a serious diet will.

To add on to that...
Men usually have android fat distribution, meaning that it will preferentially keep fat in the stomach. Hence why men usually have pot bellies.
Women on the other hand usually have gynoid fat distribution, so around the butt and thighs.
These are the last places that you will "lose fat" from. So if you really want that six-pack you have to eat less and exercise (any body part more), the above poster was completely correct in saying that spot reduction is a myth.

To Law2Doc, do not criticize that I am making generalizations when you turn around and do the same thing. You can not give an accurate exercise program to someone without speaking to them and at least seeing them, you can just give general advice. That is why I suggested that they go to a somewhere that could.
To play devils advocat for your proposal: in general, most people want to see results and by increasing muscle mass, unless you have so little that you improve astronomically, you will not see reduction in weight. You will likely see a slower improvement in body fat percentage than you would by doing cardio because you are not gaining enough muscle quickly to radically effect your energy needs. A lot of people, especially those who focus on strength gains, do not use any where near as many calories when weight training because they do not keep their heart rate high because of resting period in between sets. What we both are saying is true, but each is best for two completely different people with different body types, different goals, different current fitness levels, etc.
Bottomline: doing both weight training and cardio is best, either way is helpful on its own too, but you got to figure out what works good for you so you can keep doing it.

TheProwler said:
Not true. Whether or not you're gaining muscle or losing fat, your diet is going to have a much bigger effect on your end results than your workout routine.

Cardio is also less effective than weightlifting if you want to burn fat. Cardio is good for your heart though.

dieting is pointless. people diet for a while then go back to eating the same amount they used to once they lost the weight, gain it back, etc. dieting offers no mental rewards.
once u start exercising, your brain is rewarded with positive signals (endorphins). you feel good in about a week. the reinforcement is key. people continue to exercise, even once they lost the weight.
ive never heard that lifting weights makes u lose fat before....strengthen/ tone muscles perhaps? in my wt training class the instructor said cardio was key to losing weight, not lifting. i could be wrong on this, of course.

my new advice as of today: get a stomach virus! :eek:

(just joking...I'm sure I'm losing weight though :( )

redclover said:

Stops you from eating other things: a) because you already have something in your mouth, b) because you have minty fresh breath and lots of things taste bad after mint, and c) it makes your jaw hurt.

tigress said:
stomach virus

Or a nice little tapeworm. They work too.

seilienne said:
Put hot sauce on EVERYTHING. Capsaicin (the chemical that makes you "taste" heat, common to all peppers) boosts endorphin production (like sex!) and gives you a temporary energy boost. It also kicks up the metabolism.

OMG! Is THAT why I like hot sauce so much???

Tabasco ! :love:

About the cold water thing -- drinking 1/2 a gallon of ice cold water each day cuts off an extra 100 calories, 200 calories if you drink a gallon. That's almost a 30 minute walk :)

Turkeyman said:
About the cold water thing -- drinking 1/2 a gallon of ice cold water each day cuts off an extra 100 calories, 200 calories if you drink a gallon. That's almost a 30 minute walk :)

Or you can just do a ridiculous number of backflips a day, right Turkeyman? :laugh:

seilienne said:
Or you can just do a ridiculous number of backflips a day, right Turkeyman? :laugh:

Hahaha...actually that's my abs and jump workout, 25 super stalled backflips (stalled = jumping to the peak of your height and THEN tucking to flip over). :D

Turkeyman said:
Man...there's a lot of good advice here, but also advice from people that you can clearly see have no idea how to reduce bodyfat. It's kinda funny...

Actually, I would disagree. What works great for someone may not work for another person. Different strokes for different folks.

aragonh said:
Actually, I would disagree. What works great for someone may not work for another person. Different strokes for different folks.

Ah you caught it before I deleted it. I thought it was kinda mean and too "sweeping" of a statement. I just think folks should speak from personal experience :)

Disregard that.

aragonh said:

yep, i'm with you. i think there's a lot of anecdotal, unscientific advice here. if you're serious about losing weight, talk to a nutritionist, use tools like fitday, or join something like weight watchers. there's no objective proof showing that things like stretching, eating hot peppers or drinking water really help people lose weight. and, no, don't ask for advice from your doctor because she might not have a clue.

What people always seem to be looking for are shortcuts...and in losing weight(or anything else you want to be good in, for that matter) there are little to none. Everyone is a bit different, but when you really get down to it -- the general basics...everyone is the same. You can't say that telling someone to simply walk two 30-minute sessions a day, drink plenty of water, and remain on a 1600-2200(depending on the size of the person) calorie diet spread evenly throughout the day ISN'T going to lose weight. There's no doubt -- they will. If they don't...they're not doing something right.

The general guideline is to stick with something for 1 month with no questions asked -- then judge afterwards :).

Breaking things like weight loss into something "scientific" is just taking it too far for me :D

PineappleGirl said:
OMG! Is THAT why I like hot sauce so much???

Tabasco ! :love:
YES!!!! My family makes fun of me for my tabasco consumption...

Turkeyman said:
About the cold water thing -- drinking 1/2 a gallon of ice cold water each day cuts off an extra 100 calories, 200 calories if you drink a gallon. That's almost a 30 minute walk

Turkey, you're burning all those calories from the sprint to the bathroom every 15 minutes

LJDHC05 said:
Turkey, you're burning all those calories from the sprint to the bathroom every 15 minutes

Haha! Very true :D