Overwhelmed and underprepared for the MCAT... ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepolka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a little background about me
Hold a foreign masters degree with a US masters equivalent
Undergrad GPA- 3.8
Grad GPA- 3.39
2 years worth research and thesis (all abroad)
falling short of Physics and English pre-reqs
Have several upper-level science courses
Non-trad student, graduated in 2009
Want to apply for fall 2016 intake
Currently working on MCAT (before the 2015 one comes into being!)

I have 1 month and 3 weeks before my MCAT exam. Because I graduated from college almost five years ago, studying again with other life responsibilities has been a task! I am almost through with my content review and half of every chapter's BR problems (for eg, if Physics has 10 problems per chapter, I have done 5 of them) I have been studying non-stop with no break days. I do not have that kind of luxury. I take a whole day for a chapter. Sometimes I stare at the book for an hour and nothing goes into my brain. Despite trying to thoroughly-self teach myself with youtube videos and the like, I still struggle with the problems. My score per chapter is 60% (on average). There is nothing else I want to do in life. It took a lot inside of me to convince myself to do this despite all the other family and work commitments. I have already convinced myself that I am not going to make in the first attempt and I will have to retake the exam in Jan. It is really disheartening when something you deeply want to do in life is so difficult for you that you begin to question whether you got what it takes!
I have about 3 chapters left overall to complete my first time review. Feel like I don't even remember the content of the chapters I have done!My question is.
How do I maximize the time I have remaining before my exam? I was planning to revise the chapters again, hopefully much faster this time around, and do the remaining problems. Then spend 20 days doing TPRH science workbook with EK verbal 101. And spend the last 8 days doing the AAMC Fls. I per day. Study nothing on the day before the test.
Do you think this is doable? Any other suggestions to help me maximize this? I have barely sleep. 4 hours at night and about 1 hr in the day. I just dont feel like lifting a book today. No idea what has gotten into me.

Any suggestions, uplifting personal experiences, etc. are more than welcome!

Thanks
p.s.- Sorry about typos if any! Too exhausted to proof read the post

Members don't see this ad.

Then spend 20 days doing TPRH science workbook with EK verbal 101. And spend the last 8 days doing the AAMC Fls. I per day.

One FL per day? Impossible. Even if you can do it, you wont get anything valuable out of it. Reviewing thoroughly is the key not just taking the FLs.
You should know that MCAT does not require you to memorize a lot of stuff.
Start doing problems from TPRH NOW.

One FL per day? Impossible. Even if you can do it, you wont get anything valuable out of it. Reviewing thoroughly is the key not just taking the FLs.
You should know that MCAT does not require you to memorize a lot of stuff.
Start doing problems from TPRH NOW.
Even if I have 12 hours a day dedicated studying time? it wont be possible? 5 hours exam and 5 hours review?

Spread the FL's out. The purpose of them is to get used to the format of the exam as well as determine why you're getting answers wrong. If you find that you have some gaps on content (based on the passages) by spreading them out, you will have time to review said content. Doing AAMC exams the last 8 days PRIOR to your real exam is a real good way to completely burn yourself out before taking the beast.

Go at it methodically and wisely. Spread the exams out. Save AAMC 10 and 11 for the last week (That's what I'm going to do). The other exams I take once each week to access where I'm at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if I have 12 hours a day dedicated studying time? it wont be possible? 5 hours exam and 5 hours review?

You are supposed to spend way more time on reviewing. That's why ppl here suggest to use 3 days for one FL (2 days to review).

Spread the FL's out. The purpose of them is to get used to the format of the exam as well as determine why you're getting answers wrong. If you find that you have some gaps on content (based on the passages) by spreading them out, you will have time to review said content. Doing AAMC exams the last 8 days PRIOR to your real exam is a real good way to completely burn yourself out before taking the beast.

Go at it methodically and wisely. Spread the exams out. Save AAMC 10 and 11 for the last week (That's what I'm going to do). The other exams I take once each week to access where I'm at.
You are supposed to spend way more time on reviewing. That's why ppl here suggest to use 3 days for one FL (2 days to review).
So, I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but how exactly must one review ?

Understand what you got wrong and why you got it wrong, and what you got right and why you got it right. If you're using the SN2ed method there should be a section of the post that is specific to reviewing.

Good luck with everything! I'm taking the 1/13 test.