Overwhelmed PreMed Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceb4596

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking 19 credits this semester, which include orgo II (with lab) and two mid division physics courses. I have taken this many credits before but this semester I feel like I'm drowning. My current GPA is about a 3.8, though I don't know if that will make it through the semester. If I get mediocre grades this semester, how much of a detriment will that be to my application? I am also soliciting advice about how to manage being constantly overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad.

One semester doth not an entire transcript make. It won't kill you to dump a course.

I am taking 19 credits this semester, which include orgo II (with lab) and two mid division physics courses. I have taken this many credits before but this semester I feel like I'm drowning. My current GPA is about a 3.8, though I don't know if that will make it through the semester. If I get mediocre grades this semester, how much of a detriment will that be to my application? I am also soliciting advice about how to manage being constantly overwhelmed.

Why are you taking so many credits? You know med school adcoms don't really care if you take a bit longer to finish a degree. Do yourself a favor and lighten that load - the road to being a physician is long and arduous. There is no point in burning out before the real "hell" begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
One semester doth not an entire transcript make. It won't kill you to dump a course.

What Goro said. Stay afloat and do whatever it takes to not fail. If you get mediocre grades, study the MCATs even harder (and with a freer schedule) and make up for it then (easier said). Meditate and or exercise during free time to try and balance out the stress.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all the advice! The reason for the heavier load is not to impress anyone; graduating in 4 years is more of a financial necessity than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user