Owning a Pet During Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Watergrizzly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Curious what this crowd thinks about having a pet during school (I know there are previous posts). I am specifically considering a cat...thought this might be a fun conversation to have to distract us from a certain date coming up . :)

Members don't see this ad.

its been done before. dont see why it cant be done again.

also i think a pet tiger would be better especially for this impending zombie apocalypse

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Cats are obviously easier than dogs. I have two cats and don't have to worry about running home during lunch or taking them to day care like some of my classmates with dogs. Obviously this changes if you have a stay at home spouse.

The only other thing to think about is if you go to a school that is far from home and need a pet sitter for breaks. Luckily, someone from my class is stopping by once a day to take care of my cats during thanksgiving break. Otherwise the cheapest sitter I could find through a service was $26/day (boarding was even more!)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good friend of mine has 3 dogs, don't know how she does it.

I have a cat, and she is coming with me no matter where I go <3

Wherever I go and get settled in, my number one to-do is to rescue a kitten. My cat of 20 years recently passed away and I'm just taking some time to get over that right now. But, yes, I will have a pet through dental school!

I couldn't make it through the stress without the unwavering love of my dogs. I have someone to look after them while I'm gone all day though. Get a cat if you don't have help.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a dog and a cat and I live 30 minutes from school. In the morning I wake up around 5:30 or 6:30 depending on the day and let my dog out and then feed him and the cat. On long days I may not get home until 6:00 or 7:00. Both the dog and cat do just fine with that. Of course my dog is more dependent upon me letting him out. When I can, we go for walks in the park right behind our house. I am looking to hire someone to walk him during the day right now which is something I recommend if you have a dog and will be gone a long time during the day. When we travel we use rover.com to find a sitter.

It is absolutely doable, but you need a dog that can handle it.

Hey everyone,

Curious what this crowd thinks about having a pet during school (I know there are previous posts). I am specifically considering a cat...thought this might be a fun conversation to have to distract us from a certain date coming up . :)
A pet is fine but it is additional responsibility on top of everything, especially if you get a puppy or kitten. My advice would be to get it second year, once you start getting comfortable with everything.
A tardigrade is better pet than a pet tiger since it will live through the apocalypse ..but you already know that..

Hey everyone,

I am going to get a cat too lol, figured, why not?

it's doable but that doesn't mean you will not have days you wish you didn't have the responsiblity.
I love having my dog. Dog makes me smile everyday, so that alone is worth the trouble of having to walk him 2-3 times a day.

I think cats are great pets. They mostly sleep during the day and are self-sufficient, pretty non-destructive, they can use the litterbox whenever they want, and as long as you give them love and attention when they're home and exercise them for at least once a day, they're happy campers. I have two cats...one is a trouble maker, the other is a lap cat who loves to sit in my lap while I study :)

Last edited:
I think my two kids are enough :)

Reactions: 2 users
I know this sounds weird.. But I have been telling myself for years that when I start dental school, I will have a hedgehog.