Owning up to bad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bassface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was inconsistent with my grades in undergrad, and this was mostly due to the fact that I had an undeveloped work ethic and lacked self-discipline. After graduation, I took on a clinical research assistant job in order to grow more in these respects, and have learned much in the way of organization, discipline, etc. and I believe my supervisor can testify to this growth. This was a big part of why I wanted to take some time between college and medical school. What would be the best way to address this in my application?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your gpa?

3.47. I took the MCAT twice-- once when I was in college in 1/11 and got a 29 (8,7,14), then again after I had been working for a while in 1/12 and got a 34 (14,9,11), which I think is evidence of some sort of growth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's worth it to "own up" to bad grades. The only time I would explain grades is if it were due to a medical condition/emergency, or something serious. Using immaturity, laziness, etc...as excuses is pointless in my opinion, because those are the biggest reasons why people have low gpa's in the first place. Think about it. If an adcom reads your PS (if they don't screen you out), what makes your low gpa different from any other low gpa? Nothing really. You shouldn't bring more light to your gpa and instead focus on showing who you are in your PS and having your LOR writer, make you seem like Mother Teresa meets Stephen Hawking. As for your mcat, the great improvement isn't necessarily a sign of growth, just a lot more studying.

I was inconsistent with my grades in undergrad, and this was mostly due to the fact that I had an undeveloped work ethic and lacked self-discipline. After graduation, I took on a clinical research assistant job in order to grow more in these respects, and have learned much in the way of organization, discipline, etc. and I believe my supervisor can testify to this growth. This was a big part of why I wanted to take some time between college and medical school. What would be the best way to address this in my application?

I wouldn't dwell on it. The adcoms will see your grades. They're either good enough or they're not. I don't think talking about it in the PS will make a big difference. Have you taken any classes/prereqs since undergrad? If you've dne very well in courses more recently, I might mention it as an example of improvement. But if not, it comes off like you're making excuses.

3.47. I took the MCAT twice-- once when I was in college in 1/11 and got a 29 (8,7,14), then again after I had been working for a while in 1/12 and got a 34 (14,9,11), which I think is evidence of some sort of growth.

Niiiice!! :thumbup:

Great boost!
a 3.47 is below average, but not so much that schools will give you a hard time, and with your MCAT score should get some interviews if applied broadly.
How was your last 2 years? Any upward trends?
Any research?
Nowadays research is usually a plus in allopathic schools.

I wouldn't dwell on it. The adcoms will see your grades. They're either good enough or they're not. I don't think talking about it in the PS will make a big difference. Have you taken any classes/prereqs since undergrad? If you've dne very well in courses more recently, I might mention it as an example of improvement. But if not, it comes off like you're making excuses.

Yeah, I always had the feeling the PS should nto be used for giving excuses. Rather, display your strengths is a superbly put-together essay.