Oxygen Content in Anemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lichen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In anemia where hemoglobin content decreases and therefore oxygen capacity decreases, how does the oxygen CONTENT change?

Is total oxygen in the blood still at the same level as it would be if there were no anemia? (in which case my assumption would be that the oxygen that would be bound to hemoglobin is now dissolved oxygen)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disolved oxygen plays a miniscule role in the total oxygen content of blood. The vast majority off oxygen is bound in hemoglobin. Therefore, in anemia, the oxygen carrying capacity/O2 content decreases in proportion to the decrease in hemoglobin assuming all other variables are the same.

CaO2 = ( Hgb * 13.4 * O2Sat / 100 ) + ( PaO2 * 0.031 )

Oxygen content in the blood = oxygen bound to hemoglobin + oxygen dissolved in the blood

So the posters above are correct, if your anemic and your hemoglobin is dropping, the total oxygen content in your blood will drop.

Additional points:
-oxygen bound to hemoglobin
is the same as SaO2
measured by pulse ox

-oxygen dissolved in the blood
is the same as PaO2
measured by ABG

since we r in the anemia topic, i have a question

If a kid in AFrica is ataxic and position sense messed up but his MCV is normal - is it still possible for him to be Vitamin B12 deficient ?

If a kid in AFrica is ataxic and position sense messed up but his MCV is normal - is it still possible for him to be Vitamin B12 deficient ?
Needs to have an enlarged MCV (normal is 80-100) for him to be B12 deficient.

I would need to see the rest of the stem, but a normal MCV patient with those symptoms could be aplastic anemia which is most commonly caused by Parovirus B19

In anemia where hemoglobin content decreases and therefore oxygen capacity decreases, how does the oxygen CONTENT change?

Is total oxygen in the blood still at the same level as it would be if there were no anemia? (in which case my assumption would be that the oxygen that would be bound to hemoglobin is now dissolved oxygen)

Anaemia is just decreased haemoglobin, via whatever cause.

Most important point is:

pO2 is normal in anaemia. Because pO2 refers to oxygen dissolved in the blood, which is unaffected by low haemoglobin.

since we r in the anemia topic, i have a question

Yes.

If concomitant iron deficiency anemia, your mean MCV could be normal. Look at your RDW. If very high, could be a mixed anemia.