Ozempic, pain, study design

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to study if Ozempic could help reduce weight and thus decrease back pain - how would you suggest I set up that study?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking to see if patients who have obesity and chronic back pain who then lose weight with ozempic also see a decrease in back pain? Or if the amount of decrease in back pain is greater than weight loss though diet and exercise alone?

Are you looking to see if patients who have obesity and chronic back pain who then lose weight with ozempic also see a decrease in back pain? Or if the amount of decrease in back pain is greater than weight loss though diet and exercise alone?
Great question!

I’m looking for thoughts like this.

However, I don’t think I will do an arm with just diet and exercise. I’m more wanting to know if weight loss is accompanied with a decrease in back pain.

And getting people to do diet and exercise is impossible - so I could get ACTUAL weight loss results pharmacologically - and that would be a great way to test if back pain decreases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Design it with Ductape ;)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Is there any data right now on weight loss and back pain relief? Or how about weight loss and central pain syndromes?

This could be a really interesting study.

Inclusion criteria:
- Chronic LBP being managed with conventional treatments (ESI, RF, meds)
- BMI > 30
- Undergoing weight loss therapy with Ozempic

Exclusion criteria:
- h/o Fibro
- uncontrolled psychiatric disorder
- SCS in place (adds a layer of complexity that may make results difficult to interpret)

Follow up over a one year period

In additional to VAS scores may be nice to look at other outcome measures as well (functionality, depressive symptoms, etc)

Follow up study can look at central pain syndromes as a whole

Reactions: 1 user