PA Admissions Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twsurfsnow

PT, DPT, MPH
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know if anyone can answer this, but here it goes anyway, so my undergraduate GPA wasn't so hot, due to loosing both my parents at age 19 and age 20, and being burdened with a lot of responsibilities while being in school and only being 20 years old.
Here I am 6 years later and I did some really good post bac work in all science classes to bring up my GPA, then was accepted into an MPH program, that I will have completed in 3 consecutive semester, when the normal time is 2 years full time to complete.
Now, my undergrad post bac GPA is probably around a 3.1 science, 3.3 non sciecne, 3.2 overall, My graduate GPA is a 4.0. so CASPA will probably have me at a 3.2 science if I apply this cycle.
My main questions is would the adcoms look at my MPH 4.0 favorably despite the low science GPA, or would they just skip my app due to science GPA not being >3.4.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

As everyone knows, grad schools are notorious for GPA inflation. Most programs will not consider your grad school GPA when considering your application. They really only care how you did in your pre-reqs (first and foremost), then your cGPA for undergrad (second importance), and then want to see considerable health care experience (or hard clinical experience).

Your masters degree science gpa won't average into your undergrad science gpa. Neither will any post bac gpa. It figures separately. If you didn't go back and prove yourself by retaking poor courses, or taking additional sciences and passing with strong fashion, your probably out of luck. Many schools have thresholds that only look at undergrad gpa, and if that's too low, you won't be considered. Fortunately, 3.0 is a common basement level for an applicant to not automatically get round filed. If you make that cut, your mph and post bac performance might show favorably. So much depends on the school and what gpa's they look at. But in the CASPA database, your academic gpa's will all be broken down by category.... Undergrad, post bac, masters... Then on from there.