PA or Nurse to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainBox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have been a PA for a while. Love what I do but want to move on with my education and become an MD. Being a PA is not cutting it at this point. I'm no longer satisfied. Anyone else in the same boat?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.

I have been a PA for a while. Love what I do but want to move on with my education and become an MD. Being a PA is not cutting it at this point. I'm no longer satisfied. Anyone else in the same boat?:rolleyes:

Hi! Been there, done that, working as an NP with a need to know more. I am now taking prereqs to eventually apply to med school. Welcome and good luck!:D

over rated

it is very hard for me to understand how anyone who already works in this mess we call health care would want to go back and do 4 years of med and 4 year residency while adding debt and not knowing what obama is gonna do to it

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that are already trained PAs and NPs and want to work in Primary care, there is no need for you to take on the debt. There is a very real possibility that we're about to expand coverage to millions without an increase in PCPs. You will be in huge demand. You will do everything that a primary care doc does. Save yourselves 300K.

Now if you decide that you want to do surgery or some subspecialty, that's different. Go ahead and give up a decade of your life.

I agree with (I can't believe I'm writing this) PamIsHorny. PA's are going to be owning it in the next 3-5 years. It seems like PA's will be able to practice with growing autonomy and challenged in new ways very shortly.

The two legitimate cons of medical school are always the same: time and money. BrainBox, it sounds like you're in the same boat as the rest of us professionals intending on going to medical school - how do you pay for it and how do you have a life while attending med school? Let me know if you figure it out.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have been working as a Neurosurgical PA since 2002. I love the field and want to become a Neurosurgeon. The docs I work for now give me plenty of autonomy. It also comes with lots of call nights and weekends. LOL

I have come to realization that being a PA will not allow me to do everything I want to. I feel that eventually I will reach a ceiling of my allowable capabilities and I don't want that to be dictated by my title as supposed to my knowledge and skills. I read, learn the same journals that the surgeons do. Eventually, I will start forming my own formulas for patient care.

I feel that I can treat patients better as an MD compared to as a PA.

As it comes to healthcare reforms and such there is nothing anyone of us can do about it. Change will happen. I just hope the government will not come up with the same system as a VA or the patients along with all health care providers are in deep sh....

I'm young and will work in the field for the next 20-30 years. Why not be a neurosurgeon if I love it?

Brainbox,
You are probably the type of person that should go back to school. Since you've been working with Neurosugeons, I am assuming you know how much they give up in their lives. That is definitely an area in which being a PA will be limiting, so go for it.

By the way, "PamIsHorny" is a memory device that you will probably come accross when studying for the boards. Helps to remember the symptoms of Horner's Syndrome. My avatar actually has the doggie version of this syndrome.

Pam

Pam,

I bow to your cleverness...and wish your ailing canine the best.

Usernamed (far less clever username).

I have been working as a Neurosurgical PA since 2002. I love the field and want to become a Neurosurgeon. The docs I work for now give me plenty of autonomy. It also comes with lots of call nights and weekends. LOL

I have come to realization that being a PA will not allow me to do everything I want to. I feel that eventually I will reach a ceiling of my allowable capabilities and I don't want that to be dictated by my title as supposed to my knowledge and skills. I read, learn the same journals that the surgeons do. Eventually, I will start forming my own formulas for patient care.

I feel that I can treat patients better as an MD compared to as a PA.

As it comes to healthcare reforms and such there is nothing anyone of us can do about it. Change will happen. I just hope the government will not come up with the same system as a VA or the patients along with all health care providers are in deep sh....

I'm young and will work in the field for the next 20-30 years. Why not be a neurosurgeon if I love it?

yes you will never be a neurosurgeon as PA...but dude you are crazy

Hi there.

We're in the same boat!

I'm a medical student during the week and an NP on the weekends.:). I was in the same situation. I found a passion that could not be pursued as an NP, so I'm adding an MD to my name.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Good luck to you, James

Brainbox,
You are probably the type of person that should go back to school. Since you've been working with Neurosugeons, I am assuming you know how much they give up in their lives. That is definitely an area in which being a PA will be limiting, so go for it.

By the way, "PamIsHorny" is a memory device that you will probably come accross when studying for the boards. Helps to remember the symptoms of Horner's Syndrome. My avatar actually has the doggie version of this syndrome.

Pam

Horner's Syndrom: Miosis, Ptosis, Anhydrosis??? I think. LOL

I think it was on my PA boards. ;-)

I think as a health care provider, we give up lots of things that others take for granted. But you are right, as a neurosurgeon, you tend to give up a bit more but you also gain a lot. During my PA training, I rotated through a lot of services and this was the only one that was most fulfilling. ;-) Nothing like having a patient that was going to die, walk into your office happy and smiling.

What field are you in?

Last edited:
I'm a medical student during the week and an NP on the weekends.:). I was in the same situation. I found a passion that could not be pursued as an NP, so I'm adding an MD to my name.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Good luck to you, James

thank you James.

will do. ;-)

what field are you in?

do you guys think schools give any consideration to your background during the application process and or post interview?:rolleyes:

I'm not an NP (but was going to school to be one) but just a regular nurse (my 2nd bachelor's). I work in a major teaching hospital in our state, affiliated with a local medical school and I can tell you that our NPs and PAs are used as permanent residents (that's our nickname that they agree with).

I think when most people decide (at least in my case anyway) to go to medical school, it isn't how many letters I'm going to have after my name (I already have more than 2) or how much money they are going to make (because we all know that the amount of time physicians put into their work, they are compensated, but if you compare with business, they should be making a TON more) or with whom they are competing for patients. My mother was going to residency when there was a big push and movement to increase the amount of nurse anesthetists instead of anesthesiologists because quite frankly it would be cheaper for the hospital (turns out, nurse anesthetists turn over all sick patients to MDs anyway). Now, it's the same thing for NP and PA movement into primary care. I think this one is more realistic than the former, but at the same time, the way I look at it - a physician is always a physician. Whether DO or MD, it's a different category of people, education and level of conceptual understanding.

I work in an ICU where NPs sometimes take call and our PAs do all the work the surgery MDs don't want to do and some of them are awesome (better than our docs) and some I wish weren't there at all, but I somehow just don't think that NPs and PAs can ever replace (even in sheer numbers) a physician. They ratios may be different but PAs have to have EVERYTHING co-signed by a physician in the end (since they are "an assistant" and NPs (at least in our case) most of the time consult with an MD anyway. In OB, NPs automatically turn over ALL critical or high-risk patients to an MD, so I think the fear that there may not be jobs for MDs or that their salaries will go down is slightly premature.

In addition, I am from another country and my husband parents and my parents both worked as MDs in various specialties in two different countries in Europe and there, there is social medicine - same as what Obama wants to pursue (actually a smaller less drastic approach). There doctors do not make $500K but they do make a lot more than anyone, except maybe for business (which is also true in this country). So, even if Obama does this "dreadful" plan of his that some of you had referred to, a physician will always remain a physician and salary or not, there are a million and one ways that a physician can make money besides working in a clinic "overtaken" by NPs and PAs. :) I think we will all be fine. :)

If anything, if people choose not to apply to medical school because of his plan... it's more chances for me to get in. :D

In the last few years, I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of health care graduates, be it PA, RN, NP or MD. When I applied to PA school in 1998 the thought of how much money I will make as a PA did not even cross my mind. Now, all I keep hearing is how "safe jobs are in the medical field." It seems that good portion of people entering the medical field now, are only interested in having a job and a paycheck. This has been most evident in the recent years.

Case and point, during my prep class for the MCAT, one of the students told us that after reviewing how much money he can make as an engineer with masters degree verses how much money he can make as a physician, he decided to go to medical school because he will make more.

When I make rounds on our floor, I'm amazed at the lack of interest and knowledge of the nursing staff. Recently I was asked by a new GN what NPH stands for. After a brief explanation, I asked him if he was going to look it up when he gets home. With out hesitation, he looked at me and said no.

When I have 5 or 6 surgeries to do in a day, both the MD and I pickup mops and start cleaning and turning the room over just so we can get our case started faster. Neither one of us went to school to clean rooms but we are willing to do it if it means that we don't have to wait for 2 hours between our cases. So I'm left speechless when I'm told by a GN that she is too busy to change a patient's dressing and get him out of bed.

It is very unfortunate that these tough economic times have attracted people into the medical field who do not belong. If all they want is a "safe job" and a "paycheck" then they should do other things. Nothing bugs me more then having someone treat patients as a bank. I hope medical schools, nursing school and PA schools are aware of this growing "safe job" trend and are doing everything possible to reject such applicants. If not we are all in deep problem, because eventually we will be patients and these graduates will be treating us.

In the last few years, I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of health care graduates, be it PA, RN, NP or MD. When I applied to PA school in 1998 the thought of how much money I will make as a PA did not even cross my mind. Now, all I keep hearing is how "safe jobs are in the medical field." It seems that good portion of people entering the medical field now, are only interested in having a job and a paycheck. This has been most evident in the recent years.

Case and point, during my prep class for the MCAT, one of the students told us that after reviewing how much money he can make as an engineer with masters degree verses how much money he can make as a physician, he decided to go to medical school because he will make more.

When I make rounds on our floor, I'm amazed at the lack of interest and knowledge of the nursing staff. Recently I was asked by a new GN what NPH stands for. After a brief explanation, I asked him if he was going to look it up when he gets home. With out hesitation, he looked at me and said no.

When I have 5 or 6 surgeries to do in a day, both the MD and I pickup mops and start cleaning and turning the room over just so we can get our case started faster. Neither one of us went to school to clean rooms but we are willing to do it if it means that we don't have to wait for 2 hours between our cases. So I'm left speechless when I'm told by a GN that she is too busy to change a patient's dressing and get him out of bed.

It is very unfortunate that these tough economic times have attracted people into the medical field who do not belong. If all they want is a "safe job" and a "paycheck" then they should do other things. Nothing bugs me more then having someone treat patients as a bank. I hope medical schools, nursing school and PA schools are aware of this growing "safe job" trend and are doing everything possible to reject such applicants. If not we are all in deep problem, because eventually we will be patients and these graduates will be treating us.

I don't think you could have said any better, Brain Box. There were 3 nurses who started with me who said that the only reason why those chose the ICU is because you get paid $1.50 more per hour. 1 said that she chose our unit because it's the only place where she could get a day shift position. Scary, let me tell you!

I agree. It is scary. Some people just don't care, lazy, think they know it all or simply only want to get paid. I herd an internal medicine doc thank a nurse for taking his money away by d/c his patient before he had a chance to see him.

Well I guess we should hope that schools will be able to see through the fluff that these "safe job" applicants put up and only accept applicants who truly care and love what they do! :love: