PA vs. MD vs. DO chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScatmanCrothers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background/disclaimer:

First of all, I know what most of you are thinking. "You shouldn't just go where you can get in, you should take the time to figure out exactly what you want to do, and then do whatever it takes to get there." Hear me out.

I want to work in an ER treating patients. That is the number 1 priority in my life, and I know that I would be awesome at doing it. Whether as an MD, DO, or PA, I could hardly care. I've worked in the ER for 6 months now, and 3 things have become glaringly apparent to me:
1. MD = DO
2. PA = damn close to MD/DO. The only procedure I've seen an MD/DO do that I haven't seen a PA do is a central line placement. Sure, you have to be supervised and blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it, in the ED, 98% of the time you're doing the exact same thing as an MD/DO.
3. PA, MD, DO, makes no difference in personal happiness. I know MD's who hate their lives, I've met PA's who love theirs, vice verse, and on and on, it honestly doesn't seem to make a difference. I honestly feel like most ER MD's would be just as happy now if they had chosen DO or PA route 15 years earlier, and the same goes for DO's and PA's.

As far as school, it seems like there is at least one major disadvantage every way I turn:
MD disadvantage: probably need post-bac school ($40,000 and 2 years of my life)
DO disadvantage: expensive as ****
PA disadvantage: just spent 3 months of my life on the MCAT which would now be wasted, and could I even get into PA school if I applied, since I haven't spent 20 years as a paramedic?

As you can tell by my approach, money is a definite issue here too. I am a very pragmatic person and don't want to be in debt til I'm 70.

Hopefully, you now understand why I will go wherever I can get in. If I could just send out one giant batch application to all MD/DO/PA programs, I would, but unfortunately admission boards live in fantasy land and want you to tell them that you only like their program and its absolutely perfect for you because you're 10000% sure you only want to be an XYZ and blah blah blah. Unfortunately, I live in the real world, and I don't give a **** where I go as long as its cheap, gets me to the ER, and isn't in Minnesota.

My statistics:

MCAT 36
B.S. in Biopsychology at UC Santa Barbara
cGPA 3.1 sGPA/pre-req GPA: 2.7
GPA disclaimer: Very positive upward trend culminating in 3.5 senior year GPA. Worked throughout college, which didn't help my GPA, but honestly the biggest factor was that I spent most of my time in the ocean or chasing girls.

EC's:
1 year volunteer research assistant in neuropharm lab (no independent research)
1 year working as pharmacy technician
1 year working as mental health counselor at a psychiatric center
6 months working as a scribe in 2 different ER's
+ lots of stories about traveling in South America and all the other crazy **** I've done in my life that has made me who I am, which I've heard are pretty useful for essays and interviews

Minor Question:
I also have a lot of other passions in my life, and am thus drawn by the idea of a lighter workload as a PA. It makes sense to me simply because you're in less debt, so you have to work less to crawl out of the hole, but most people on this forum seem to be preaching that PA's work just as hard if not harder and longer than doc's do. Lifestyle wise, does anyone have any input on which is better if you like doing other things besides working?

Major Question:

Please help me figure out which one I have the best chance at getting accepted to.

Thanks for reading my stupidly long post. I know your replies will be helpful to not only myself but to the many others who are in my position... I have about 20 of them as coworkers, and we would all be very grateful for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

DO is your best and quickest way and maybe even cheaper since for MD its not a guarantee that you'll go to your state school after an SMP (which is what you'll need) and private school tuition is comparable to most DO schools.

Just retake a few classes this semester, boost up your science GPA to 3.0+ and then you should be fine. Matching ER as a DO is very possible (as I'm sure you're aware).

Can't help for PA school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. Trouble with retaking classes is that I graduated 2 years ago... you think it would be a good idea to retake at a CC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any big advice to give except for not using the time and money you have already spent studying for the MCAT in your evaluation of the PA option. It is basically a sunk cost that shouldn't be used to make any decisions for the future.

Reading this thread for some reason made me think of Freakonomics podcast called "the upside of quitting". Maybe you should listen to it.

IMO the money and time you spent studying for that rockin' MCAT score is a drop in the bucket compared to the total costs of medical school or PA school.
The bigger problem for any pathway that I see is your relatively low sGPA. Your MCAT clearly shows that you know science so my interpretation is that you were lazy and/or over stretched in your science classes. (Not a slam, I was similar but not quite so bleak and not with that MCAT by any means.) Aside: most PA programs won't have a clue what to make of your MCAT score.
Have you looked into PA programs in your area? I recommend meeting with an admissions counselor to discuss your options and to get a better idea of what classes they recommend retaking for a better grade. I don't think CASPA does grade replacement like AACOMAS does but the individual programs will notice an improvement.
Lastly, please consider whether you will be truly satisfied as a PA in EM. I've been one for the past 8 yr (FM for 6 yr prior) and while it's pretty good autonomy and decent pay, I have to work a LOT of hours to get that pay. I am still a PA and limited by that so I went back to medical school (DO) and will graduate in 6 mos. Unlike you, I am not interested in EM and did not apply to EM residencies. If you do choose to pursue PA, consider an EM residency which will open a lot of doors for you.

You never know what will happen with the PA market.... Shoot for DO.... Im sure there's some school that would love to wrong up their average with your MEAT

The road to MD or DO is very long. You'll likely need post-baccalaureate work for both of them, albeit less for DO. Despite the impressive 36, the GPA is going to close plenty of doors. Unless you have a specific reason to be a physician, be it personal preference, desire for more knowledge, that 2% PA can't do, etc., I'd recommend going the PA route. It's simply cheaper, faster and gets you where you want. Yes, you took the MCAT, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to putting in an additional 2 years of school and 3-4 of residency compared to PA.

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I just read the transcript for that podcast SunsFun, and it was really interesting. Still not sure what I want to do though. Does anyone out there have an answer to my minor question about whether being a PA vs. MD/DO really gives you more time to do other things? I have heard lots of mixed replies to this question and would love to hear from someone who has gone the PA route. PrimaDonna, it sounds like you would disagree that PA's have more freedom to pursue other passions in life, can you elaborate on that a bit?

Thanks for the input. Trouble with retaking classes is that I graduated 2 years ago... you think it would be a good idea to retake at a CC?
DO schools won't care if you retake at a CC. Just get that sGPA up. Note that math isn't included in the AACOMAS GPA, if that helps.

You might want to check on the selectivity of PA schools in your area. In my state, your GPA wouldn't be competitive. You'd also be required to have 2000 hours of patient care experience to be considered.
Does anyone out there have an answer to my minor question about whether being a PA vs. MD/DO really gives you more time to do other things?
If you are in an ER, you'll be engaging in predictatable shift work. You can pick a job that allows you to have the number of shifts you like per week. As a PA you'll make less money. As a physician you'll make much more. Working a 40 hour work week means more time, in both leisure activities, as well as years paying back loans. Your choice.

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I just read the transcript for that podcast SunsFun, and it was really interesting. Still not sure what I want to do though. Does anyone out there have an answer to my minor question about whether being a PA vs. MD/DO really gives you more time to do other things? I have heard lots of mixed replies to this question and would love to hear from someone who has gone the PA route. PrimaDonna, it sounds like you would disagree that PA's have more freedom to pursue other passions in life, can you elaborate on that a bit?
The last several years I have had very little free time that wasn't filled with work and school. I figured out about 5 years ago that I enjoy being diversely employed and have had at minimum 2 jobs at all times (often 3) since then--even through medical school. I keep my skills and licenses up and enjoy the freedom to work when I am able to pick up a shift and need $$$. Fortunately I am able to do this as a PA-C. I enjoyed more free time than ever the past 2 yr while I was in years 1-2 of med school--I sang weekly in the local philharmonic chorus, learned to read music again, and had more leisure time than I can remember (should have spent it exercising!) but clinical year (I graduate med school in June) have had much less time with traveling for rotations and interviews and wacky rotation schedules. I know intern year of residency will be twice as bad.
I also have chosen to work quite a lot because I get personal satisfaction from work and I'm married to a HS teacher who makes very little money. I have been the breadwinner for most of our marriage until the past year which is a very difficult shift financially and emotionally for both of us (I think more so for me!) Money isn't everything and I grew up quite poor but financial stress isn't fun for sure.
Your experiences, of course, will vary.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input. The pieces are starting to come together. I'm thinking my best bet is to go D.O., so this is my plan to make it happen:
1. Sign up for as many science pre-req retakes as I can at the local CC this spring (so far only 1 was available for sure but I'm waitlisted for several others so hopefully I can get in)
2. Send out apps to DO schools as soon as early application opens
3. Apply to post-bac school just in case I don't get in somewhere

Most of your description can be summed up as.... "I screwed off a lot in the past, and really, I'm not looking for a career where I have to work very hard".

Even when you talk about applying, you just whine and complain about taking time for each school.

And you want to go to med school maybe? I think not.

Most of your description can be summed up as.... "I screwed off a lot in the past, and really, I'm not looking for a career where I have to work very hard".

Even when you talk about applying, you just whine and complain about taking time for each school.

And you want to go to med school maybe? I think not.

Yeah... because you definitely don't have to work hard in an ER... hahaha go troll somewhere else

Do you have enough clinical hours for PA? The ones I looked into before applying to med school required 500-2500 clinical (patient contact) hours.