packing list for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiddler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

would anyone have the packing list that was put together on this forum? I have tried searching for it with google and just looking at threads but can't find it.

thanks for you guys' help.

fiddler

Members don't see this ad.

An important piece of advice is not to check your suit in if your flying. Always carry on your suit and shoes; worst case scenario would be if the airline looses your luggae...at least you'll have your suit ready for the interview. A black leather binder can work for you; the dean will usually give the candidates and interview packet and it looks professional. Other than that the rest is up to you. Good luck and just be yourself

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget breath mints. I was the only one who actually had some at two of my interviews, and they were gratefully accepted after lunch.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I guess its just one night so just the regular toiletries should do.

I took the advice of one of the threads and purchased a carryon that will pack a suit and shoes and just about everything else. I do not want the nightmare of having to go into the interview in jeans and t-shirt.

I just didn't want the nagging feeling that i forgot something and be in panick mode the morning of the interview.

fiddler

Speaking of things to bring, what kind of purse/bag/other should ladies use to carry keys, wallet, etc? Or should I shove it all in my pockets?

A few ideas -

Carry a professional bag (guys too) a computer carry case might work.
In the bag, carry:

Kleenex,
A portofolio with CV, paper, pens
a shoe shine cloth for last minute scuff removal
breath mints
enough cash in small denominations for snack/drink and transportation
small bottle of water
small paperback book to read
cell phone TURNED TO SILENT
lotion if your hands get dry or gross (gotta shake hands and not be creepy)

In your suitcase remember to have all the normal stuff plus:

Undershirt (not a tank top, nervous sweat stains are ugly)
shoe polish
travel iron (if not staying in hotel with one)
small gift for host (if staying with med. student)
thank you cards (write these on your way home before you forget)
stamps
cold weather wear if travelling somewhere colder than you are used to

To reiterate what a previous poster said - do NOT check your suit and shoes!! The airlines will usually hang these things in the captain's closet if you ask the flight attendant nicely.

anything else?

Em1 said:
Speaking of things to bring, what kind of purse/bag/other should ladies use to carry keys, wallet, etc? Or should I shove it all in my pockets?

Man, right before my first interview I realized my suit didn't even have pockets. Fortunately I brought my handy dandy portfolio in which I jammed my pen, breath mints, and chap stick.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a purse to the interview... something just doesn't jive well with that idea. You're not "shopping" for a medical school, and besides, no one else does it. If you want to bring a suitcase or something that works well, so do portolios made out of leather-- it's just nice to put all of the information you'll be getting somewhere other than in your pockets.

For the ladies, I got a bag from LizClairborne. It's big enough to put a full sheet of paper in, or a regular letter-sized folder, but very stylish. I got comments on it at every interview, including a DO school where the asst. dean of admissions came over to ask where I got it while she was raving about how cute and professional it was. The women carrying small bags were also carrying portfolios - I chose to carry a larger professional bag and no separate portfolio. I think it's your choice.

Flopotomist said:
A few ideas -

Carry a professional bag (guys too) a computer carry case might work.
In the bag, carry:

Kleenex,
A portofolio with CV, paper, pens
a shoe shine cloth for last minute scuff removal
breath mints
enough cash in small denominations for snack/drink and transportation
small bottle of water
small paperback book to read
cell phone TURNED TO SILENT
lotion if your hands get dry or gross (gotta shake hands and not be creepy)

This is much of what I had in my briefcase, but I would also include chapstick and/or lipstick, bobypins or hair tie if long and put up, instant stain-remover pen, ID (one of my interviews asked for it!). Also, I found it helpful to carry a copy of my AMCAS application and any secondary for that school, as well as info I had printed on the school that I wanted to read and know before my interview (but didn't really use it at the interview.)

yes get a portfolio that can also fit toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, sandwiches, gift for admissions director, maps, deodorant, nail clipper, nail file, nail polish, nail polish remover, sunglasses, reading glasses, beer glasses, and hair dryer.

just kidding.

Flopotomist said:
To reiterate what a previous poster said - do NOT check your suit and shoes!! The airlines will usually hang these things in the captain's closet if you ask the flight attendant nicely.

anything else?

Asking nicely won't help if you look a certain way... (if you're more likely to go through an extra thorough security check, just put the suitbag carefully in a sturdy carryon, so it doesn't get mangled by people stuffing other carryon items in the overhead compartments.).

you know, i've decided portfolios are unnecessary since schools always provide you with a huge booklet of material that you can carry around. basically, it's not like you're stuck with miscellaneous scraps of paper if you don't have the portfolio. maybe this is just my justification because i don't have one -- never found a non-leather professional looking one and don't buy leather anymore.

so, if i don't get in to allopathic schools or any more osteopathic schools, i guess i can blame it on the lack of the portfolio. :)

worse comes to worse just wear your suit for the flight, they will hang up your jacket. Get off the plane, change, hang up the suit (make sure to bring extra shirt, tie, pocket hanky) then press it the next day. Maybe the fact that i love to wear suits

Members don't see this ad :)
Not quite packing related, but should we have a notepad out to write things at any point during the interview (asking questions at the end, perhaps) or is that so we can write stuff down after the interview?

Avalanche21 said:
Not quite packing related, but should we have a notepad out to write things at any point during the interview (asking questions at the end, perhaps) or is that so we can write stuff down after the interview?
I like to keep it out so that I don't fidget with my hands. Think of how natural you can look just holding a pen and not moving (thanks Bob Dole for all the advice!)

i was paranoid enough to carry an extra pair of stockings in my purse just in case!!! but i'm a klutz and can spill/snag/rip/tear just about anything nice or expensive the first time i wear it! :p

LT2, I'll probably do the same thing. Or at least clear nail polish to fix small runs before they get out of hand.

Bring a lint roller......dust/hair + dark suit=mess :)

Flopotomist said:
travel iron (if not staying in hotel with one)

Actually, I would suggest bringing one regardless. After staining my only white shirt with rust water from a hotel iron, you tend to value having your own...

exlawgrrl said:
you know, i've decided portfolios are unnecessary since schools always provide you with a huge booklet of material that you can carry around. basically, it's not like you're stuck with miscellaneous scraps of paper if you don't have the portfolio. maybe this is just my justification because i don't have one -- never found a non-leather professional looking one and don't buy leather anymore.

so, if i don't get in to allopathic schools or any more osteopathic schools, i guess i can blame it on the lack of the portfolio. :)

I'm with you. Mints are good, wallet, money, and a pen (even though they give you one.)

You're selling yourself, not your ability to accessorize.

bumpity bump

I have seen quite a few female applicants who have done okay with a small shoulder bag in addition to the cardboard folder that the school gives away. They seem to manage to get the bag over their shoulder and still extend a handshake.

Men seem to manage okay with the multiple pockets in their suits & shirts.

Don't let yourself get too loaded down. I think a laptop case would be overkill.

Wild thread.

Personally i changed at the airport's bathroom, thank god for a clean pittsburgh airport bathroom. It was pretty bad that i took a red-eye and definitely do not recommend it.

Pack the suit, a change of clothes, your notes that you want to formulate your answers on, the school's info, your amcas and secondary. I think if you have something else that you'd like to show... maybe a paper you wrote for publication or pictures from an adventure... then bring those as well.

Otherwise, toiletry and definitely small denominations of money is good. Btw, if you guys remember, i almost got stranded in NYC because the express bus wouldn't take dollar bills. Only accept coins!!!!

Oh and a bottle of water, you dont want to be talking your arrse off without some wetness on your tongue.

Thanks guys,

I just got back from Drexel and it was really good. No pressure, just talk. they want to find out about you so i talked until my interviewer had to go. he actually apologized for cutting me short! really polite about it.

I would recommend ear plugs, the soft silicone kind. slept like a rock the night before. I would recommend getting there earlier if possible so you get plenty of time to sleep.

Make sure of transportation because for some bizzarre reason the holiday inn stopped their shuttle to Drexel and there was a transporation strike! I ended up having to take a cab. ouch!

fiddler

wait, so i dont understand, we are supposed to bring our entire amcas application with us? and notepad also? isnt it kinda rude to be writing stuff down while the interviewer is talking?

Thanatos said:
Bring a lint roller......dust/hair + dark suit=mess :)

Are you Thanatos as in Secret of Mana?!?!?

Risa said:
Are you Thanatos as in Secret of Mana?!?!?

Secret of who? Sorry but I guess not :laugh:

It's the only thing I remember from all the mythology they made me read.....

My interviewer was writing stuff down while we were talking. I had my notepad open. If he said something important, i would want to write it down. I don't think they would be offended.

My interviewer was being really cool and gave me advice at the end which I wrote down.

fiddler

jtank said:
wait, so i dont understand, we are supposed to bring our entire amcas application with us? and notepad also? isnt it kinda rude to be writing stuff down while the interviewer is talking?
You're not supposed to, but I guess it doesn't hurt. A notepad does help--sometimes the interviewer will recommend something or give out their email. Good luck on your first interview! :clap:

I would suggest bringing some tylenol or motrin, I got a really bad headache in the middle of my interview day and I luckily had some in my purse.