Paid Externship Debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boondockr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I have signed up for a paid externship with a doctor in Chicago. He has his own clinic where I will be getting most of my experience plus he visits the hospital once a week for in-patient care. I booked the experience for 4 weeks approximately a month and a half ago. I was told that I would work at his clinic and also visit with him in the hospital. But I just got an email for the company that the doc has now refused to offer inpatient experience. So I wanted to know should I still go ahead with it? or pick another attending who does offer inpatient experience? The company suggests that I should continue with him regardless because he has good previous reviews and is in with the selection committee.
This would be the only USCE on my application for the 2016 match but I have good scores.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a bad idea. No clue what "in with the selection committee means".

You need real USCE, something at a large university hospital. I second the above, try Harvard or Mayo and pay their fee.

I wish could apply to all of those programs. But I just graduated a couple of months ago. The only option I have is this or observerships. And this is "on-hands" experience. I know a lot of people don't regard this experience as much, but I feel its still better than observerships for graduates. I wish I had more options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet the hospital put the kibosh on this and that's why you can only work in the office. How much does he charge for this "service"?

Reactions: 1 user
You cannot practice medicine without a license and you shouldn't practice without malpractice insurance. As noted above, I too believe the hospital put a stop to him bringing unlicensed, uninsured non-student/non-resident physicians in. Heck, I had to practically donate a wing to my hospital just to get one of my partners to come in an observe me doing a procedure she doesn't do.

Please do not spend $3K (or even $3) for this; it sounds like a waste of your time and money which will benefit you no more than an observership.

@Winged Scapula What about IMGs ? do you think they should opt out for this alternative to gain USCE ? are there any other ways (besides calling, emailing and visiting and getting refused everywhere ?)

Thank you so much

@Winged Scapula What about IMGs ? do you think they should opt out for this alternative to gain USCE ? are there any other ways (besides calling, emailing and visiting and getting refused everywhere ?)

Thank you so much
IMG/FMG the advise is the same (why would it be any different).

I can't believe that residencies will view this so-called USCE as anything other than what it is but this is another example of the terrible bind you put yourself in when trying to get to residency from outside the US/Canada.