Paid Research Assistant Positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psipi140

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying to research "technician", "assistant", and "coordinator" positions across the country for about 4 months with no luck.

How competitive are these to obtain?

Also, is anyone interested in providing feedback on my c.v.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To answer your first question, more detail is needed.

This information? Or information about the kinds of positions I am applying to?

Education

B.A. in Psychology (2014)

Minors in Philosophy, Sociology, and Neuroscience

Research

2012 to 2014 at Framingham State University

Completed two independent research projects that were approved by the Institutional Review Board.

First Project: Stigma

1) Naturalistic quasi-experiment that compared engagement with and efficacy of three different mediums of communication that disseminated information about psychological health and disorder.

2) Between-groups experiment that used vignettes to compare stigma attributions endorsed by men and women for male and female characters depicted as experiencing schizophrenic, depressive, and social anxiety symptoms.

Presented poster in San Francisco at the Association for Psychological Science in May of 2014.

Endorsement of stigma: Sex difference in blame and willingness to help.

Presented poster in Boston at the Eastern Psychological Association in March of 2013.

Mental illness stigma: Reaching those that feel inhibition to seeking help.

Second Project: Emotion Regulation

1) Inquired into the ecological instances during which people regulate emotions.

2) Examined the influence of motivational orientation on the regulation of sadness.

3) Mixed factor experiment comparing effectiveness of online implementation of the cognitive-emotional regulation techniques of reappraisal and distraction in regulating emotion.

Presented posters in San Francisco at the Association for Psychological Science in May 2014.

Reappraisal induces motivational state that extracts positive emotions and optimism.

Motivational orientations and emotional regulation.

A framework for emotion regulation goal content.

2012 to 2013 at Northeastern University in the Lifespan Emotional Development (L.E.D.) Lab

· Involvement changed as lab priorities changed. Activities included participant recruitment and scheduling, running older and younger adults through experimental protocol, and finding and reviewing literature. Below are the kinds of data I collected, processed, and/or analyzed:

o Physiological (Biopac Software)

§ Collected facial electromyography (E.M.G.) data.

§ Processed and analyzed changes in skin conductance level (S.C.L.) to gauge sympathetic activation.

§ Processed and analyzed changes in heart-rate during an emotionally evocative clip to measure general physiological reactivity.

§ Manually extracted specific skin-conductance response data using excel macros to explore the orienting response to emotional stimuli.

o Behavioral

§ Collected, processed, and analyzed self-reported changes in emotional experience.

§ Collected eye-tracking data using Applied Science Laboratories (A.S.L.) technology.

Poster accepted to Association for Psychological Science in May 2014

Initial emotional state influences changes in emotional experience: Analytic concern?

Poster accepted to the Association for Psychological Science in May 2013

Physiological reactivity in younger and older adults during emotionally evocative skin cancer videos.

Poster presented at the Massachusetts Statewide Undergraduate Research Conference in April 2013

Emotion regulation in older and younger adults.

Educational

2012 to 2014 at Framingham State University

· Mentored freshman during foundations courses.

o Led classes on academic advising and registration.

o Met with facilitator weekly to plan course content and activities.

· Worked with students as a peer tutor at the Center for Academic Advising and Support (C.A.S.A.)

o Learning categorical and propositional logic

o To develop and improve time management, study habits, academic confidence, and critical thinking.

Advocate (most of this work was part of the first research project mentioned on the first page)

2012 to 2013 at Framingham State University

· Organized and sat at psychological health and disorder awareness tables.

· Distributed psychological health and disorder brochures at the informational desk in the main college center.

· Organized and hosted an audience-interactive panel on stigma that emphasized self-acceptance and compassion.

· Wrote newsletters that included student narratives about experiences with, and helpful information about, psychological health and disorder.

· Distributed informational resource cards about psychological disorder and the Counseling Center to students during participant recruitment in classrooms and to students through the Office of Residence Life.

Clinical

2013(2 months) at Westwood Lodge Psychiatric Hospital

· Socialized and engaged with clients in the children’s, young adult, and adult units to support therapeutic milieu.

2012 to 2013 at Samaritans in Framingham

· Participated in conversations with people experiencing countless facets of experience that each of us might know or could experience and evaluated risk for suicide.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're tough to get because of demand from pre-med and pre-grad students. I spent three years in of those positions in the Boston area. Where are you looking for these positions? Online? Job search sites? University job databases? What kind of research are you looking to do? Cog/Social psych? I might be able to give you some tips depending on your interest.

Each morning I start with scanning Glassdoor, Simplyhired, Indeed, and H.E.R.C then check some specific university databases. My ideal research position would be in a social cognitive affective neuroscience lab. Methodologically speaking, doing f.M.R.I., E.E.G., and physiological research interests me. Unfortunately, I have no experience with f.M.R.I. and E.E.G. and limited experience with psychophysiological methods.

Last edited:
Haha, well ... I was a RA/lab manager of a SCAN/CAN/SAN lab (we did neuroimaging incl fMRI, EEG, and psychophys), so I know a few resources.

To add a few places to check:
1) The CNS newsletter (Research Assistants heading). You'll probably want to check back for a new one soon. http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs174/1111483570604/archive/1117508040472.html

2) The SANS listserv. If you know anyone who has gone to the SANS conference, they can forward you announcements for RA positions. I get a few e-mails per month from people who are looking for RAs. PM me if you would like me to forward some of those to you.

3) Contact PIs who run related labs.

4) Get in touch with any PIs you've worked with. Chances are that they get tons of e-mails from various other societies or may have friends looking for RAs.

Basically, it is really really really difficult to get noticed off of one of the databases you mention. You'll have far more luck reaching out to people individually -- most RA positions are filled without Glassdoor, etc.

Haha, well ... I was a RA/lab manager of a SCAN/CAN/SAN lab (we did neuroimaging incl fMRI, EEG, and psychophys), so I know a few resources.

How was the experience?

To add a few places to check:
1) The CNS newsletter (Research Assistants heading). You'll probably want to check back for a new one soon. http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs174/1111483570604/archive/1117508040472.html

Thank you, I will check this out.

Basically, it is really really really difficult to get noticed off of one of the databases you mention. You'll have far more luck reaching out to people individually -- most RA positions are filled without Glassdoor, etc.

Why is it so difficult to get recognized from one of these databases? If most positions are filled through the grapevine, why even post them to these kinds of sites?

The job was a great experience for me before medical school -- though it would have been an exceptional experience for someone wanting to go to grad school. I ended up with a few papers, lots of conference presentations, and a really great understanding of cog neuro research. Plus it gave me time to volunteer, take coursework, a MCAT prep course, etc.

Why is it difficult to ultimately get a spot off of Glasdoor, Aspire, etc? Because there are limited positions that open every few years (assuming each major lab has just one staff RA for a term of two/three years) and many applicants. Often, these positions are filled with undergrads who have worked in the lab wanting to stay on for an extra couple years. In addition, most PIs prefer to have staff that they know are reliable, inquisitive, and competent; they would prefer to get them via recommendation of faculty colleagues than from random online postings.

Thank you for sharing. It's nice to hear that things went well and worked out for you.

Perhaps if I do find a position in which I can do research I am interested in after a lengthy process i'll be more appreciative than I would have if I found a position quickly.

Thanks again for the tips.

Sincerely,

Psipi140

This information? Or information about the kinds of positions I am applying to?
Education
Research
Educational
Advocate
Clinical
to 2013 at Samaritans in Framingham
· Participated in conversations with people experiencing countless facets of experience that each of us might know or could experience and evaluated risk for suicide.

Hey Psipi140,

Here's my take: I worked as a clinical research project coordinator in surgery and oncology for several years in a major AMC. I was involved in screening, interviewing and recommending for new hire research assistants or study coordinators who would work with me, and we then reported to the PIs as a team. Few things: Remember you're applying for a job...not graduate school. So while the CV above is impressive (IMO) for anyone straight out of undergrad, where is your relevant job history? Where are your administrative, organizational, and clerical skills? Sure, I see some, but they are hidden in text. I retained your headings above to highlight that this vital information seems missing and needs a section of its own when you are applying for a job (which is different than applying to graduate school). It is a nuance, but CVs are for specific professions, resumes are for work. You are applying for work as a research assistant, so create a different version of your CV for work positions (more like a resume/abbreviated CV) and a different version when it is time to apply for grad school.

I waited tables during college at about 15 different restaurants (high waitstaff turnover in the tourist town where I lived at them time), so "Relevant Work Experience" was my subheading because I chose to highlight hospitals & private practices where I worked and that I am a certified phlebotomist, not that I have a terrific short-term memory, make a mean margarita, and other skills that are totally irrelevant to the position I was applying to. That said, keep in mind that you are not only vying for jobs with pre-med or other pre-grad students, you are applying for positions with folks who may be very well-intentioned about going to graduate school, but for whatever it's worth, need to work for a living (which was my situation - there was no way I was getting into a graduate school program straight out of undergrad, but I was a hard-working individual with professionalism that needed employment....and stability, and I wasn't going to leave my position after one-year. So also keep that it in mind, that longevity and commitment will make you seem more desirable candidate for these positions, if you can offer them one-year at least (plus that's how you get the worthwhile experience and opportunity to be more heavily involved in research and gain mentors/future recommonders).

Honesty is key, and no one wants to see anyone sacrifice greater things for sub-par employment, but if you could present yourself as a reliable and committed employee, rather than a pre-graduate student who is using the position as stepping stone (which everyone knows is the plan, but may not admit it in the interview), then you may increase your chances of responsiveness. And show your genuine enthusiasm & interest in your cover letters.

Also, regarding your Samaritans disclosure, IMO reword the underlined portion. It sounds too personal and I heard the Samaritans have a strict privacy policy about their goings-on, but you would know best... I was never a Samaritan.

I think you have the right amount of experience to get "a" research assistant position. Are you limiting yourself to your area of interest? If so this may be your main problem..

As others have said, and you know, these positions are very competitive and you need to pull out all the stops to land one, usually. I have a few suggestions (I had two years of volunteer research assistant experience coming out of undergrad..).

1- Consider any and all research assistant positions that you can later justify as relevant experience. I am currently a research assistant at a job that is clinical in nature but not even in psychology. I volunteer at a psych lab on the side and the professor there said that my paid experience is still very relevant and it is the research experience itself that is most important (learning the irb, research methods, stats, etc.). Would I rather be at a position in my area of interest? Of course! But beggars can't be choosers.

2- Have someone at your previous labs look at your CV

3-Network! E-mail professors in the field. In my experience most will reply, and many will have tips for you even if they are not looking for someone. I got an interview with a very well respected professor this way. I didn't get the position, but I would have never even known about it/gotten an interview if I hadn't spoken to him or her directly. They said they had over 300 applicants, which is common. You need to stand out somehow, and personal contact is a way to do so.

4-Be persistent. I applied to probably 200 positions from when I graduated in the spring to when I landed a position in the fall. There were lots of times during that period where I didn't hear anything from anyone and was very discouraged. It would have been easy to give up, but it only takes one.

A last resort is always to work another type of job and volunteer. Lots of people do this and it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!

I've reworked my resume/c.v. and am, while looking for a research position, looking into part-time gigs to keep myself busy.

Some people have told me that I have to "play the game" at some point. I have an idea about what people mean when they say this but I am curious if anyone is interested in sharing what it means to you?

Thank you for the tips and support!

Last edited: