Pain Applications '05-'06

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pain_central

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get a discussion going for those currently applying for pain fellowships for July 2006. I have noticed reputations for programs vary tremedously depending on who you talk to. Has anyone started interviewing yet? If so, what are your impressions? Any advice on those of us just starting our applications? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The super-famous programs in the country are usually undisputable. To find out more about the program before you even spend the time to apply, you might want to consider emailing their current fellows and /or director. This is a non-threatening way to ask them where their graduates are going or have gone. As far as others like me, middle of the road programs can train just as capable pain docs.

Also try this thread:
http://67.43.153.76/showthread.php?t=144647&page=1

There is no set time line for fellowship applications, but I think that if you know that you want to apply, you need to consider where you want to go and what type of focus (spine, sports, pain, SCI...). Once you have made this decision, I would suggest getting your CV, cover letter, and letters of rec ready for submission by the end of your third year.

Program directors like to make decisions by October or November of your senior year. In California, it may take 2-3 months to get a medical license and the interview period is too long to wait until feb or march. Most ACGME programs also interview medical students for residency positions. It is nice to get it over and done so the next year can be set. (Makes for a nice Christmas season).

To make a decision by a program, if the applicant has all the requiered documents in by May to July, an interview can be scheduled from July to October.

Not every program follows this time line, but it can't hurt to make an early jump. My experience is that I lost a position by the time September rolled around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agee with Defphiche. Get your applications in ASAP. Make sure that your rec letters are in ASAP too. Some very reputable programs sometimes decide their fellows 1.5 - 2 years ahead of time :eek: (per personal experience and attendings' rec's). But it's okay, we'll save those spots for the true-gunners. There is still time...get to work. Good luck. :)

Just a *bump* along with a few questions.

It seems that a few programs interview & fill early while many others wait a bit before interviews. What I'm curious about is the rolling admissions? I just discussed with the coordinator at U Michigan that they are going to try and get through all their interviews prior to offering slots. While I think this is for the best (nothing like pressure to make a decision without knowing options). It seems if other programs don't follow suit that it could be an invitation for disaster (i.e. wait for one program to offer a slot but, while waiting, all other slots you were offered start to fill)

Personally, the one thing I liked about the Match was that you were able to at least see as many programs as you wanted without having to make a decision. Heck, I almost didn't even interview at what became my #1 choice for residency during the match but did so just to "see" the program for myself (and I am certainly glad I did).

Thoughts?

Disse said:
Just a *bump* along with a few questions.

It seems that a few programs interview & fill early while many others wait a bit before interviews. What I'm curious about is the rolling admissions? I just discussed with the coordinator at U Michigan that they are going to try and get through all their interviews prior to offering slots. While I think this is for the best (nothing like pressure to make a decision without knowing options). It seems if other programs don't follow suit that it could be an invitation for disaster (i.e. wait for one program to offer a slot but, while waiting, all other slots you were offered start to fill)

Personally, the one thing I liked about the Match was that you were able to at least see as many programs as you wanted without having to make a decision. Heck, I almost didn't even interview at what became my #1 choice for residency during the match but did so just to "see" the program for myself (and I am certainly glad I did).

Thoughts?

Which is why we need a fellowship match! (my personal tilt against windmills throughout my residency)

At present, PASSOR, AAPM&R, and the AAP's RFD council are working to try and cordinate this, although whether it will ever come to fruition remains an open question. Stay tuned.

Which is why we need a fellowship match! (my personal tilt against windmills throughout my residency)

I agree completely.

The AMA House of Delegates recently passed a resolution at the behest of the AMA-RFS encouraging the development of subspecialty matches for each ABMS-approved specialty.

The AAPM&R and AAP are looking at options for physiatric fellowships, but to my knowledge there has been little action on the anesthesia side regarding ACGME accredited anesthesia-sponsored pain fellowships. This issue has "political legs" across all fields of medicine not just PM&R and anesthesia.

http://www.acponline.org/journals/news/mar05/fellowship.htm

Report 6 - Fellowship Application Reform
This report was the result of an RFS resolution and covers a lot of the background of the current system for fellows to match into a program. The recommendations support the concept of a standardized application and selection process for fellowship training positions. We also encourage the appropriate entities to work together to develop this process and report back at A-07 with progress so that the issue doesn't die.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/14883.html

Anyone know if there are programs that provide some support to applicants (i.e. hotel.. even a dinner?).

I'm much more financially stretched this year than I've been in a long time.

Thanks for the info.

Disse said:
Anyone know if there are programs that provide some support to applicants (i.e. hotel.. even a dinner?).

I'm much more financially stretched this year than I've been in a long time.

Thanks for the info.

University of Vermont paid for Hotel (Wyndam Hotel downtown Burlington) as well as Dartmouth (Hanover Inn - great historic hotel). Both programs were excellent in their unique ways. Fellows seemed to be very happy at both programs.

Best of Luck!

rexed said:
University of Vermont paid for Hotel (Wyndam Hotel downtown Burlington) as well as Dartmouth (Hanover Inn - great historic hotel). Both programs were excellent in their unique ways. Fellows seemed to be very happy at both programs.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, I didn't apply to either one of those programs but checking them out wish that I had. Both look very nice!

Any one know about the miami program?

Myotonia said:
Any one know about the miami program?

This thread

http://beta.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=144647&page=3

In particular,

Does anybody know of someone interested in a position currently available at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital? I am a current pain fellow and unfortunately had a colleague not take the position last minute. The position is highly regarded and the training excellent. Please call 305-585-6588. Speak to secretary Letty Castro for more information.

Douglas Allen D.O.
917-576-5337

Hope this helps

rexed said:
Just wondering, but has anyone heard back from the boston programs about interviews?

Got a letter from BID stating my application was complete and they are reviewing it and an email from MGH stating they were missing a letter but nothing else yet.

Anyone hear anything from the California programs?