pain fellowship interview process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panetrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having just interviewed at 10 fellowship programs here is some inside advice for next year’s applicants.

Here is a list of the most common pain fellowship interview questions asked along with some of my answers (be prepared to articulate your answers to these questions like a champ):

1. Why are you interested in Pain (new field, dynamic, evolving quickly, continuity of care, patient relationships, interesting pathologies and treatment modalities)

2. Why are you interested in our program (strong clinically, academically, promotes research and the advancement of knowledge in the field of pain medicine)

3. Why should we choose you (well rounded, strong clinically, academically, participated in scholarly activity and research, used examples in CV to back this up)

4. What pain procedures have you done (you may be asked specific questions regarding how you personally or how your institution performs these procedures so be prepared)

5. What is the biggest problem facing pain management/medicine (my personal answers were lack of basic science and clinical research to prove long term efficacy of interventional procedures)

6. Tell me about yourself

7. What type of practice are you interested in (private or academic, I am still on the fence but stated why and what measures I was taking in order to make a final decision)

8. What are your flaws

9. What are you strengths (answer should be very similar to Why should we choose you?)

10. What questions do you have about our program (see the no-no’s below)

11. How will you personally contribute to this field (advancement of the body of knowledge of field through my current and future clinical research)

12. What pain journals do you read on a regular basis (personally did not like this question)

Here is some more advice:

1. Don’t ask the faculty interviewer about the number or types of interventional procedures performed at that program!!! This gives the interviewer the false impression that you desire to become a private practice “block jock” (derogatory term used to describe pain docs who perform interventional procedures in massive numbers without an accurate diagnosis for monetary gain $$$$). Ask the current fellows these types of questions during lunch or after the interview.

2. Be prepared to sell yourself at these interviews. They are not like residency interviews where the program tries to sell themselves to you.

3. Regarding thank you letters. I would recommend sending them to all of the individuals who interviewed you. I had one fellow tell me that interviewers think poorly of e-mail thank you letters and prefer mailed letters.

4. Be sure to do some background checking into who is interviewing you. Many of them will be presidents of national pain societies and it would be in your best interest to integrate that society into your conversation.

5. I had one fellow tell me that he had his department chair call all of the programs that he was interested in after the interview to further confirm his strengths as an applicant (sounds like a very nice chair, most will be too busy to do this). He swore that this played a key role in gaining an offer at his top choice.

6. I was not offered a spot at this particular program simply because I did not explicitly state that I would accept a position at that time if offered. I was told this by the fellow at the program after the interview. They were ready to give me the spot, but changed their mind simple because I stated that I had several other interviews that I would like to attend. So, be careful how you answer questions regarding interest in a program.

7. I would network with other applicants that you meet on interview day. Even though they are your direct competition, many are more than willing to give you inside information about the interview process at programs they have interviewed at. This saved me from attending several interviews at weak or malignant programs.

8. Be prepared to discuss anything on your CV. This may not be as easy as it sounds is your CV goes back 8-10 years. Just review everything before each interview.

9. Be honest, don’t exaggerate your experiences or CV, if this is suspected your will quickly find yourself on the REJECTED list.

10. Overall, the interview process was very exhausting and I used up many vacation days and about 6,000-7,000 $ of my own funds.

Disclaimer: The views posted above are that of my own experience and interpretation. I encourage any constructive comments towards what I stated above.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great advice. I went on 8 interviews after getting 14 offers. Unfortunately, everyone asks you the same questions. Try your best to sound interested and not like a broken record. I had one physician, who I only met with for 2 min, tell me that it sounded like I gave that answer to someone before :D

Also, they do ask you, if given an offer, would you come here? I wasn't prepared for that a few times.

I wanted to emphasize one more thing about the interview process. Many of the interviews will be conducted during business/clinic hours. The interviews will take place between patient visits. You will be tagging along with the attending. You need to look interested/enthusiastic!!! This is not as easy as it sounds when you are one of 5-10 guys/gals in monkey suits standing in the corner of a tiny/hot/stuffy clinic room listening to a chronic pain patient carry on and on and on. Also, they may ask if you want to observe some procedures. Say yes and do it! I remember them wanting all the applicants to lead-up to observe an ESI (yeah!). Look interested, demonstrate knowledge or ask questions only when appropriate. Do not look bored out of you mind!!!!:eek: They will not want to work with someone for an entire year who already looks disinterested. This can blow the entire interview.:smuggrin:

Having just interviewed at 10 fellowship programs here is some inside advice for next year's applicants.

Here is a list of the most common pain fellowship interview questions asked along with some of my answers (be prepared to articulate your answers to these questions like a champ):

1. Why are you interested in Pain (new field, dynamic, evolving quickly, continuity of care, patient relationships, interesting pathologies and treatment modalities)

2. Why are you interested in our program (strong clinically, academically, promotes research and the advancement of knowledge in the field of pain medicine)

3. Why should we choose you (well rounded, strong clinically, academically, participated in scholarly activity and research, used examples in CV to back this up)

4. What pain procedures have you done (you may be asked specific questions regarding how you personally or how your institution performs these procedures so be prepared)

5. What is the biggest problem facing pain management/medicine (my personal answers were lack of basic science and clinical research to prove long term efficacy of interventional procedures)

6. Tell me about yourself

7. What type of practice are you interested in (private or academic, I am still on the fence but stated why and what measures I was taking in order to make a final decision)

8. What are your flaws

9. What are you strengths (answer should be very similar to Why should we choose you?)

10. What questions do you have about our program (see the no-no's below)

11. How will you personally contribute to this field (advancement of the body of knowledge of field through my current and future clinical research)

12. What pain journals do you read on a regular basis (personally did not like this question)

Here is some more advice:

1. Don't ask the faculty interviewer about the number or types of interventional procedures performed at that program!!! This gives the interviewer the false impression that you desire to become a private practice "block jock" (derogatory term used to describe pain docs who perform interventional procedures in massive numbers without an accurate diagnosis for monetary gain $$$$). Ask the current fellows these types of questions during lunch or after the interview.

2. Be prepared to sell yourself at these interviews. They are not like residency interviews where the program tries to sell themselves to you.

3. Regarding thank you letters. I would recommend sending them to all of the individuals who interviewed you. I had one fellow tell me that interviewers think poorly of e-mail thank you letters and prefer mailed letters.

4. Be sure to do some background checking into who is interviewing you. Many of them will be presidents of national pain societies and it would be in your best interest to integrate that society into your conversation.

5. I had one fellow tell me that he had his department chair call all of the programs that he was interested in after the interview to further confirm his strengths as an applicant (sounds like a very nice chair, most will be too busy to do this). He swore that this played a key role in gaining an offer at his top choice.

6. I was not offered a spot at this particular program simply because I did not explicitly state that I would accept a position at that time if offered. I was told this by the fellow at the program after the interview. They were ready to give me the spot, but changed their mind simple because I stated that I had several other interviews that I would like to attend. So, be careful how you answer questions regarding interest in a program.

7. I would network with other applicants that you meet on interview day. Even though they are your direct competition, many are more than willing to give you inside information about the interview process at programs they have interviewed at. This saved me from attending several interviews at weak or malignant programs.

8. Be prepared to discuss anything on your CV. This may not be as easy as it sounds is your CV goes back 8-10 years. Just review everything before each interview.

9. Be honest, don't exaggerate your experiences or CV, if this is suspected your will quickly find yourself on the REJECTED list.

10. Overall, the interview process was very exhausting and I used up many vacation days and about 6,000-7,000 $ of my own funds.

Disclaimer: The views posted above are that of my own experience and interpretation. I encourage any constructive comments towards what I stated above.

Last edited:
I had an interview more recently, posted the questions for you..

How do you think you can improve chronic pain patient’s quality of life through your training?
What additional experience would you like to get other than already learned from your psychiatric experiences?
What are the challenges in pain medicine?
How do you up skill yourself and obtain knowledge in pain medicine?
How do you think you can contribute to pain medicine both clinically and academically?
Clinical scenario: Patient demanding a prescription for a higher dose of Opioid otherwise threatens to suicide – How do you handle the situation
On call Scenarios: you are called to attend a patient in surgical dept. on a Friday evening who is on epidural analgesia presenting with high fever and rashes – How do you manage
If it was one of your colleagues on call day and you were called to attend as he is not contactable – How do you handle the situation (Mind – It is Friday late evening)
Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years?