Pain management books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amadeus

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all the graduates out there including myself! Does anyone have recommendations for a good book in pain management that you feel is a must have? It need not be a reference book.

Members don't see this ad.

Amadeus said:
Congrats to all the graduates out there including myself! Does anyone have recommendations for a good book in pain management that you feel is a must have? It need not be a reference book.

Bogduk- Anatomy of the L-spine and Sacrum, blue and yellow cover

Reactions: 1 user
Amadeus said:

Image-Guided Spine Intervention
by Douglas S. Fenton, Leo F. Czervionke
ISBN: 0721600212

ISIS Practice Guidelines - Spinal Diagnostic Treatment Procedures

Members don't see this ad :)
AlgosDoc has a list of recommended books here. Are you looking for an interventional pain textbook?

As a fellow starting in a few weeks, I also bought the following books:

1. Bonica's Management of Pain.
2. Raj's Pain Medicine Review.
3. Cousins' Neural Blockade In Clinical Anesthesia and Management of Pain.
4. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Spine 2.
5. Kaplan's Musculoskeletal MRI.

Any good DVD/CD-ROM's for regional blocks out there? I did a search on Amazon and didn't see much. If not, I'm open to solid regional texts.

Gracias.

VentdependenT said:
Any good DVD/CD-ROM's for regional blocks out there? I did a search on Amazon and didn't see much. If not, I'm open to solid regional texts.

Gracias.

Check this one.
DVD/CD-ROM

Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Upper Limb
Lippincott-Raven
By
Alain Delbos (France)
James C. Sisenach

Any books specific to neuromodulation anyone recommends?

lobelsteve said:
I know of a great chapter coming out on SCS for FBSS in the algorithmic approach to interventional pain mgmt ED. C. Slipman

Who is the author of the chapter?

DigableCat said:
I've been using Cuccurullo's book. Just seems a little daunting to try and read Braddom AND Delisa like they told me to do starting intern year...

I am a physiatrist s/p anesthesia-based pain fellowship

For PM&R boards:
Pocketpedia by Choi, Sugar, et al. A must!

For pain boards (ACGME):
Review book by Raj a must!-Questions are very important!
Waldman Pain Atlas helpful
Pain Management Secrets by Kanner helpful
Warning: Pain boards poorly written
ASRA has a nice practice test available on disc with great references
Review questions by ASIPP can be intimidating (RShah is a smart man)

For fellowship:
Fenton is a must for the new injectionist- great pictures!
(I don't think you should ding the nerve every time though with TFESI)
Waldman Atlas for peripheral injections and pain are nice (CPTs included)

For anesthesia residents doing pain:
Highly recommend Pocketpedia by Choi, Ross, et al. for PM&R stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I just bought these 4 books.

ISIS publications: Medical management of 1.Cervical Radicular pain 2. Lumbar radicular pain by Bogduk. It is OK!

ASIPP publications: 1.Low Back Pain and 2. Coding and Billing for interventional Physicians. Both by Manchikanti. I like Low back Pain book which has all information needed for spine interventionist.

Amadeus said:

Have you heard of Wall and Melzack's (the "fathers" of modern pain medicine ie. gate control theory) "Textbook of Pain" (2005)(5th edition)? Well, there is a clinical companion which I highly recommend called "Handbook of Pain Management" (2003) edited by Ronald Melzack and Patrick D.Wall.

I wouldn't buy the "Textbook of Pain" because it is OVERWHELMING! It is more of a reference source. The handbook is a concise overview of the most important information about every clinical aspect of pain. It is for ALL health professionals.

The handbook is divided into three sections:

Section 1 Clinical Pain States (soft tissue, joints and bones/deep and visceral pain/head and face/ nerve and root damage, CNS)

Section 2 Therapeutic Approaches (pharmacology/surgery/physical therapies/psychological therapies)

Section 3 Special Problems of assessment and management (age and sex differences/AIDS-related pain/neuropathic and burn pain/cancer pain/pain in the elderly)

http://www.intl.elsevierhealth.com/catalogue/title.cfm?ISBN=0443072019

anyone have any thoughts on this book??

Atlas of Image-guided Intervention in Regional Anesthesia And Pain Medicine (Hardcover)
by James P., M.D. Rathmell, Gary J. Nelson (Illustrator)

***Just bought this book. Nice. Concise. Uses straight needle technique after discussing curved needles. Could have used more color illustrations and some greater detail.

Can you provide a web link to purchase the ASRA disc and ASIPP practice questions? Cant find them. thanks!

mmrichardson said:
I am a physiatrist s/p anesthesia-based pain fellowship

For PM&R boards:
Pocketpedia by Choi, Sugar, et al. A must!

For pain boards (ACGME):
Review book by Raj a must!-Questions are very important!
Waldman Pain Atlas helpful
Pain Management Secrets by Kanner helpful
Warning: Pain boards poorly written
ASRA has a nice practice test available on disc with great references
Review questions by ASIPP can be intimidating (RShah is a smart man)

For fellowship:
Fenton is a must for the new injectionist- great pictures!
(I don't think you should ding the nerve every time though with TFESI)
Waldman Atlas for peripheral injections and pain are nice (CPTs included)

For anesthesia residents doing pain:
Highly recommend Pocketpedia by Choi, Ross, et al. for PM&R stuff

I liked the Benzon book. I though it was helpful and to the point.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
3 posts ressurecting old threads, all saying the same thing.

Spam or troll?

I have found myself going through multiple sources to even read common things we encounter on daily basis. I found it frustating and energy consuming process. Is there one good book you will recommend:

I have Fenton for spine intervention and Raj's radiographic imaging for regional and pain - these two book covers all the procedural stuff.

But, I am looking for a book that is somewhat detail oriented in explaining anatomy, pathophys, physical diagnosis and management of that pain condition. I have got the orange book of pain medicine - comprehensive review by raj but does not like it.

any solid recommendation for a good book or one you absolutely love ?