paired supervision for APPIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am not sure how to count paired supervision hours? Meeting with a peer for paired supervision, e.g., 90 minutes - does that count for 1 or 2 hrs if I am being supervised half of the time? I get conflicting answers from my program/peers. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Either way, 90 minutes shouldn't count for a full 2 hours. Yeah, we round 50 minutes up to an even hour, but adding a whole 30 minutes seems like too far of a stretch.

I'm not sure about time 2 track, but what I used to track my hours (which seemed to correlate with the APPIC application) had a category for peer-to-peer supervision. You could just put 1.5 hours into that. It feels different from the situation where you are acting as a supervisor for someone less advanced in their training. That would count under direct intervention hours, I believe.

If you are meeting with a peer for group supervision for 90 minutes, then it is 90 minutes of group supervision. I think on the APPIC there is a seperate box for individual vs. group supervision, so this is where that would fall under. For the times when your peer is not there, then it would be individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are meeting with a peer for group supervision for 90 minutes, then it is 90 minutes of group supervision. I think on the APPIC there is a seperate box for individual vs. group supervision, so this is where that would fall under. For the times when your peer is not there, then it would be individual.

My interpretation was that Phipps is meeting with a peer only, without a licensed psychologist present. If there is a licensed psychologist there, then yeah, it would be considered group sup.

Okay. Thanks to both of you!

Just to make sure that I get it right: if I and a peer have paired supervision it would get under "supervision hours"/ "group by psychologist"?

Thanks!!

Okay. Thanks to both of you!

Just to make sure that I get it right: if I and a peer have paired supervision it would get under "supervision hours"/ "group by psychologist"?

Thanks!!

I believe that it can't be counted under supervision at all. You are meeting with a peer to discuss cases without a licensed psychologist in the room. That is not what they mean by supervision. I only counted hours where I was meeting with a licensed psychologist and was informed of this by my DCT.

Then what exactly constitutes peer supervision under APPIC's definition?

I believe that it can't be counted under supervision at all. You are meeting with a peer to discuss cases without a licensed psychologist in the room. That is not what they mean by supervision. I only counted hours where I was meeting with a licensed psychologist and was informed of this by my DCT.

Oh. I am sorry. I was talking about supervision hours, i.e., two peers (me and another student) meeting together with a licensed clinical psychologist for our weekly supervision, just as you would one-on-one (student/supervisor) for supervision.

Then what exactly constitutes peer supervision under APPIC's definition?

I thought she was inquiring if she can put it under the regular supervision category, which is only for licensed psychologists. I am looking at my APPI from previous years and I only saw a category for supervision by licensed psychologist, supervision from allied MH professional, and other (defined as supervision from an advanced graduate student).

Oh. I am sorry. I was talking about supervision hours, i.e., two peers (me and another student) meeting together with a licensed clinical psychologist for our weekly supervision, just as you would one-on-one (student/supervisor) for supervision.
I think 2 counts as a group. But I believe there is explicit instruction on the APPIC application once the portal opens.

Also, you can just run it by your DCT.