Palliative Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

signomi

Amongst the Gravelings
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the midst of applying for a palliative care fellowship. Anyone out there currently in one, done one or interested in doing one?

Members don't see this ad.

institution? I usually dont see that servicebeing consulted in the private hospital where i sometimes rotate.
I dont know if that would be as satisfying?
OK OK. I'm baised. I usually see these guys a doctor doom.
no offence meant.
gl

It seems that most palliative care docs practice in an academic setting or in hospice. I am interested in doing the 2 year med onc fellowship as well. Has anyone seen a doc that is IM/Palliative Care/Med Onc?

Members don't see this ad :)
signomi said:
It seems that most palliative care docs practice in an academic setting or in hospice. I am interested in doing the 2 year med onc fellowship as well. Has anyone seen a doc that is IM/Palliative Care/Med Onc?

Lots of them. About half of the Palliative Care docs I've met are also Oncologists. When you have nothing else to offer your patients, being able to help them die with dignity and as comfortably as possible seems like a good way to go. IIRC in fact, Palliative Care as a specialty was started by oncologists but I may have my facts wrong.

I'm actually interested in trying to do Onc and Pain Management for a similar reason, but I'm not sure if that will work since I don't know of any Pain fellowships currently open to IM docs. Maybe that will change in the future (particularly if I do it as a year off from a faculty position, rather than straight after my Onc fellowship).

BE (now PE)

There is one palliative care that offers pain medicine also but it really offers only non invasive pain medicine. If you go to the website for palliative care fellowships (cant remember the web site but you can google it), you should get the program. I know lots of onc/palliative care docs. Pain management is medical rather than invasive. Good luck.