Pals/apls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these? I took both in the fall in an effort to feel more comfortable around sick kids. If I remember right, each course was about a 2 day commitment in the classroom in addition to time spent to read the materials. Don't really feel like they were particularly high-yield for the very significant time investment. Of course, now all the guidelines have changed for resusc. I'm thinking that instead of retaking the courses next year (I think the 2005 AHA courses will officially be implemented in the 'classroom' in Aug), I'll just rely on the AHA updates, publications, etc. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

EM Guy said:
Any thoughts on these? I took both in the fall in an effort to feel more comfortable around sick kids. If I remember right, each course was about a 2 day commitment in the classroom in addition to time spent to read the materials. Don't really feel like they were particularly high-yield for the very significant time investment. Of course, now all the guidelines have changed for resusc. I'm thinking that instead of retaking the courses next year (I think the 2005 AHA courses will officially be implemented in the 'classroom' in Aug), I'll just rely on the AHA updates, publications, etc. What do you guys think?

We require ACLS, ATLS and APLS of our residents. We're going to get them through them the first month of residency. I think they're basic, and the residency should far surpass them. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to keep your merit badges current out in the real world, long after you are getting any benefit. Hospitals require them.

The stance of ACEP and ABEM has been that the standard is board certifcation not merit badges for many years. hasn't seemed to make much diference.