Paperwork/Management in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a 3rd yr medical student who is waffling between EM and FM. I finished my EM rotation and am currently in FM. I am very turned off by the amount of BS one has to do in Family- the business part of it, the amount of paperwork including referrals, and the organization of a clinic. I didn't go into medicine to do business, and I have no interest in research, or organization.

I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to if this external-to-medicine-secondary-paperwork/practice management crap exists also in EM, and I just didn't notice it because I was at a teaching hospital (Cook county).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yes - it exists everywhere, and there's lots of it.

You can do FM and avoid some of the paperwork by working for an HMO. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself rather immersed in it. Emergency physicians on the whole do quite a bit less paperwork. Our groups tend to have billing companies that do the vast majority of it. Since we have no physical plant to manage, it cuts down on the business aspect.

If you really don't want to mess with the business aspect of medicine, then FM probably isn't a good idea unless you're willing to spend your life strictly working for HMOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't forget that your ability to manage the business aspect of your FP clinic will directly influence your ability to financially survive and profit. It can either make you or break you! If you choose or get forced into an HMO you can end up taking a substantial pay-cut (and many FPs are already on a meager salary).