Paramedic experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harri009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have decided to finally bite the bullet after many years of longing to be an physician. I have started my science pre-requisites this semester. My GPA isn't the best as I almost flunked out of college my first year. I was obviously not mature enough to be there at that time and only went to classes about once a week. I ended up graduating with a 3.4 overall GPA. I have enough hours that the pre-req's remaining will only bring me up to a 3.5 overall. For the last 7 years I have been a practicing Paramedic and fireman. My question is how much will the Paramedic experience help me in my admission process?

This is my first post on the forum so thank you for any information :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear opinions on this as well, preferably from an adcom member. I've been a Paramedic for 5 years, and a basic before that. I'm applying this cycle, so if I remember I'll try to update you (presuming I get any interviews!)...

Not even close to an adcom member, but here are my observations:

1. College looks like it was a while ago for you, and even though you screwed around you still managed a 3.4 GPA, which is below average, but by no means fatal
  2. You have many years of life experience (within the medical field to boot) that have allowed you to mature and figure out things
  3. You are doing your premed courses now, after maturing and figuring out what you want to do; as they are much more recent, it is likely they will be viewed as more indicative of your academic prowess than your college experience years ago
  4. You have not taken the MCAT yet; if you do well on it, any doubts about your ability to perform at an acceptable academic level will disappear - however, this means you have to do well on it, otherwise this point is null
In sum, the paramedic experience is valuable clinical experience and will not by itself make up for a low GPA. However, your paramedic experience, the many years between college and now, your personal growth, your performance in your prereq classes in the present, and your eventual MCAT score will likely be enough to offset your mediocre GPA.

My experience is that medical schools like people who pull themselves together successfully. It looks like you could very well be one of those people. Your success in the medical school application process will most imminently depend on your performance in your upcoming classes and on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to hear opinions on this as well, preferably from an adcom member. I've been a Paramedic for 5 years, and a basic before that. I'm applying this cycle, so if I remember I'll try to update you (presuming I get any interviews!)...
So, I have decided to finally bite the bullet after many years of longing to be an physician. I have started my science pre-requisites this semester. My GPA isn't the best as I almost flunked out of college my first year. I was obviously not mature enough to be there at that time and only went to classes about once a week. I ended up graduating with a 3.4 overall GPA. I have enough hours that the pre-req's remaining will only bring me up to a 3.5 overall. For the last 7 years I have been a practicing Paramedic. My question is how much will the Paramedic experience help me in my admission process?

This is my first post on the forum so thank you for any information :)
By any chance are you guys URM?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/underrepresented-in-medicine-definition-please-read.445413/

My GPA isn't the best as I almost flunked out of college my first year. I was obviously not mature enough to be there at that time and only went to classes about once a week. I ended up graduating with a 3.4 overall GPA.
I'm guessing this will show a huge upward trend (<2.0-->3.8ish?). If you can do decently in your pre-reqs (~3.5) and MCAT, you will be the definition of a reinvention story. Tons of schools are into that.

@psychbender Can you put your input? I saw you comment once that you were a paramedic.

Who summons me!!?

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been in this subforum.

So, there are a LOT of former paramedics in medicine, especially as 'nontrads' become slightly more common. To respond to the OP's question/situation, that GPA is not a deal-killer, especially if you are able to achieve an above-average score on the MCAT. What may hurt you more, though, is the fact that you initially went through college several years ago. As much as I say that nontrads are slightly more common, there are still plenty of folk who have queer notion that med students should all be of the same 'I always wanted to be a doctor, was premed, did some volunteer work, and went straight from high school to undergrad to med school" mold. The trick is finding a school that looks favorably on life experience. My med school class had an average age at matriculation of 26 or 27, with one NP, one PA, a chiropractor, two PharmDs, a half-dozen RNs, about a dozen Paramedics, and maybe a score of EMTs, with a smattering of IT/business/other former careers to balance out the straight from school with no work experience "normal" crowd.

Once you get in, you'll have both an advantage and disadvantage due to your prior experience. During the preclinical years, you don't know what you don't know, but you'll have a slight idea of physiology and pharmacology, which might give you a dangerous, false sense of superiority, and make you think you don't need to work as hard (you will be dead wrong). If you can get past that, you'll find that your previous experiences provide a clinical framework with which you can view your new knowledge. The information you are learning will not exist in a vacuum, as it will with many of your colleagues, you will have seen what decompensated heart failure, COPD exacerbations, and arrhythmias actually look like, and have an idea of how they are treated. As your knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology grows, the reasons for those treatments will start to make even more sense.

The differences will really start to come out during the early clinical period. You have actually taken a focused history and physical before, done a trauma assessment, managed an airway, read an ECG, and obtained IV access. Your assessments might not have been as thorough as those taught in med school, but you are not afraid of touching a patient, asking them actual questions, and making a treatment decision. You would be surprised how many 3rd year medical students are uncomfortable around actual patients (especially early on) and try very hard not to actually touch them, then flounder when asked what to do about the problems they've noted. After a few months, most start to get some level of comfort with these tasks, so the gap in clinical skills will narrow, but you can take advantage of the initial difference to make a positive impression on your attendings and residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Not even close to an adcom member, but here are my observations:

1. College looks like it was a while ago for you, and even though you screwed around you still managed a 3.4 GPA, which is below average, but by no means fatal
  2. You have many years of life experience (within the medical field to boot) that have allowed you to mature and figure out things
  3. You are doing your premed courses now, after maturing and figuring out what you want to do; as they are much more recent, it is likely they will be viewed as more indicative of your academic prowess than your college experience years ago
  4. You have not taken the MCAT yet; if you do well on it, any doubts about your ability to perform at an acceptable academic level will disappear - however, this means you have to do well on it, otherwise this point is null
In sum, the paramedic experience is valuable clinical experience and will not by itself make up for a low GPA. However, your paramedic experience, the many years between college and now, your personal growth, your performance in your prereq classes in the present, and your eventual MCAT score will likely be enough to offset your mediocre GPA.

My experience is that medical schools like people who pull themselves together successfully. It looks like you could very well be one of those people. Your success in the medical school application process will most imminently depend on your performance in your upcoming classes and on the MCAT.

Thank you, just the response I needed.

I am indeed a little older at 30. It will take me about 4 years to complete the pre-req work as I am obviously working full time, so 34 when I start applying. There is a very large upward trend to my GPA. If you took out my first semester alone my GPA would jump to a 3.8 so hopefully they notice that. The funny thing is I always wanted to be a Dr. but grew up playing sports and neglecting academics to the point that I assumed I wasn't intelligent enough for it. It took me a few years of college and paramedic before I realized I could actually do it. By then I was so dedicated to being a paramedic and getting on the fire dept (which I did) that I couldn't see abandoning that goal. One of the good things about the time line is that I will have 10 years on the fire dept when I start applying. This means that if I get in I can quit the fire dept with a 25% retirement :).

Last edited: