Paramedic with a question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetmedic42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the journal, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, is a good source for a busy paramedic service. I getting tired with what Im reading (JEMS). Or is there another journal out there I might enjoy? Thanks Paul

Members don't see this ad.

There is one pre hospital specific journal, Prehospital emergency care, might be worth taking a look.
I get access to the Annals of Emergency Medicine through school and they have a prehospital section now and again. I tend to prefer to read that, I lean more towards that because I do ER work along with prehospital work and I aspire to do EM as a specialty.

Prehospital Emergency Care is a good one, although it comes out fairly infrequently- (I think only 6 times a year?) and it's *really* expensive considering. Annals of Emergency Medicine isn't specifically EMS based but you can still find a lot of relevant stuff in there.

Agreed JEMS is a huge fail. It's really a magazine, not a journal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prehospital Emergency Care is a good one, although it comes out fairly infrequently- (I think only 6 times a year?) and it's *really* expensive considering. Annals of Emergency Medicine isn't specifically EMS based but you can still find a lot of relevant stuff in there.

Agreed JEMS is a huge fail. It's really a magazine, not a journal.

agree with all. JEMS is a waste of your time. Annals is great. also, if you join ACEP as a student and get the EMRA subsciption with it, the EM resident magazine has some great pearls in it every month.

also if you're just looking to keep updated on things for cheap, i like to read emupdates.com and the EMcrit blog. both of those are free and are very high yield.

I would not bother with traditional journals, honestly. websites like emcrit and ercast.org and freeemergencymedicinetalks.net are high yield and free. they tend to summarize recently published material and categorize the topics so you can stick with what is relevant to ems. that can save you paying for the magazines and reading material that doesn't really matter. being a graduating EM resident with 5 yrs of prior EMS experience, that's what I do to stay up to date. I also listen to EMRAP, which is awesome but pricey and may not have enough ems-specific info to make it worth the $$.