You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Paraplegic/Amputee Surgeon?
Started by biologic_width
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
biologic_width said:Does anyone know if you can still be a surgeon if you are in a wheelchair or are missing a limb?
One of my attendings had lost his leg in a hunting accident at a young age. He was a combined vascular, thoracic surgeons. HIGHLY respected in the field.
Also, once saw a dwarf as a surgeon on a documentary. Used stools to get up high enough.
Never seen one in a wheelchair, but doesn't mean they don't exist nor that it can't be done.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we have an ortho faculty in a wheel chair. good guy that residents love. as the old saying goes...you can do anything......
cdql said:What's with all the questions about limited surgeons?
Let me try my hand:
Are there any one armed, one legged, one eyed, one eared, and one fingered surgeons out there?
Yeah - didn't you hear about him on the "funny names" thread? His name is Dr. Lucky.
Apollyon said:Yeah - didn't you hear about him on the "funny names" thread? His name is Dr. Lucky.
I am looking for the information on deaf being surgeon.
bigtimesmally said:Also, once saw a dwarf as a surgeon...
A dwarf?
Did he carry an axe and mine precious stones outside of the O.R.?
There is a one armed surgeon in Gadsden, Alabama. I myself am missing a hand and am working on designing my own surgical prosthetic.
.
Last edited:
There is a one armed surgeon in Gadsden, Alabama. I myself am missing a hand and am working on designing my own surgical prosthetic.
I believe Dr. Newman lost his arm after being in practice for a few years.
in all things, I'd like to think we consider what's best for the patient and not what best strokes our ego, ie becoming a surgeon...
Yet another wonderfully ignorant reply. Perhaps only tall men with thin fingers and classical piano training should be surgeons, as they MIGHT be even better for the patient!
In fact! Every year we should just fire any surgeon who falls below the 50th % of 'favorable outcomes' b/c those ABOVE that number are obviously better for the patient...
I just tire of hearing comments from people who feel that b/c THEY can't do something, neither can I...
in all things, I'd like to think we consider what's best for the patient and not what best strokes our ego, ie becoming a surgeon...
While I appreciate the sentiment, I am not so sure it is an ignorant response. I am ever more concerned in general (not just in medicine) as to how "we" in the USA increasingly seek to enable folks to do this or that with potentially physical limitations. I remember all the autistic kids supposedly "graduating from college" with so called interpreters..... There were oh so many plans for grad schools for those folks. Now, we will proceed with training single armed surgeons with assistants? There is something to be said for being a "two handed surgeon".Yet another wonderfully ignorant reply...
...I just tire of hearing comments from people...
Lacking an operative limb is a disadvantage. I believe having opposing limbs does in fact provide certain tactile feedback if in nothing else then traction-counter traction. This disadvantage thus extends to the patient/s. Can one perform cases with an assistant serving as your other limb.... probably. Is it a disadvantage? I think so. While, the judgement of the case will be primarily that of the surgeon guiding the case/s, the assistant does move further from the operative role of assistant and closer to that of the surgeon.
I think the ultimate question one must ask is are you a competent surgeon unto yourself and trained to that degree with you completing ALL the required surgical experience during training? IMHO, I am not sure you can be if you only have a single operative limb. I was just thinking of placement of a central line or chest tube.... would be very difficult to safely perform these basic procedures during an emergency with a single limb.
JAD
Last edited:
Fortunately I have a fully functional prosthetic that enables use of my right arm. Also, since I've had it longer than most people took to try to imagine what it would be like, I have a finely developed sense of feeling in the stump to allow me to gauge just HOW much pressure I'm applying... At this point, it would be like arguing that laparoscopic procedures are a bad idea b/c you are removed from the actual instruments by the long rod that controls them.... Anyhow, it's easy to argue this on the internet where we are all experts and able to say whatever, so unless anyone has USEFUL feedback, i'll be going...
... I myself am missing a hand and am working on designing my own surgical prosthetic.
Interesting string of posts. Best of luck.... But, accepting I may be wrong, my understanding of anatomy and physiology lead me to believe there is in no way a "finely developed sense of feeling in the stump" will come close to the abilities (motor & tactile) of a functioning hand....I have a fully functional prosthetic that enables use of my right arm. ...I've had it longer than ...I have a finely developed sense of feeling in the stump to allow me to gauge just HOW much pressure I'm applying...
Do you disagree? Do you believe sensation in a stump is adequate replacement for a functioning pair of hands? Do you not perceive at all any possibility that a lack of two functional hands may pose some additional risks to your patients?...Lacking an operative limb is a disadvantage. I believe having opposing limbs does in fact provide certain tactile feedback if in nothing else then traction-counter traction. This disadvantage thus extends to the patient/s...
...just thinking of placement of a central line or chest tube...would be very difficult to safely perform these basic procedures during an emergency with a single limb.
JAD
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I have been I certified surgical technologist for 20 years. I and i am a left hand amputee and for the first time am facing discrimination. I was hired as such and moved to a small town in Arizona. I have heard such negative comments such as you know I can't do this with 3 hands. I have tried taking to my director about this and she is just pacifying. Would anyone know of someone I could talk e to regarding a amputees that scrub either surgeon or tech?There is a one armed surgeon in Gadsden, Alabama. I myself am missing a hand and am working on designing my own surgical prosthetic.
I'm a blind surgeon and recently had the brakes removed from my car. It was a personal decision, and I wasn't about to take any sass from "the man." #momsforequalrightsforprisoners
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 5K
